Ron Paul downsizes campaign, returns to fight for seat.

It says he still has 6 million, and counting, left.

Are you telling me he spent close to 30 million dollars (three times as much as Mike Huckabee) and still only ended up with a handful of delegates?

Wow, one of the worst campaign flops in history. :pke:
Considering the chances that he had before he started, he did exactly what people who gave him money expected and more.

It is sad that your vision of all politics is so limited that no other way of effecting argument can be considered effective.

Considering the chances that he had before he started, he did exactly what people who gave him money expected and more.

It is sad that your vision of all politics is so limited that no other way of effecting argument can be considered effective.

I expect an underfunded candidate to get blown out.

I expect a candidate with a forty million dollar warchest, to get more than a handful of delegates. That's just reality. Guilliani was laughed off the stage for spending 50 million, and getting one delegate. And rightly so.

I expect an underfunded candidate to get blown out.

I expect a candidate with a forty million dollar warchest, to get more than a handful of delegates. That's just reality. Guilliani was laughed off the stage for spending 50 million, and getting one delegate. And rightly so.
Ron Paul was supposed to have been relegated to the 1% range early. All of you were wrong. His effect on the campaign was real as compared to, say, Kucinich. Keeping it going now is a waste of time though.

As for his fundraising. You might make fun of the people who gave him cash, but the reality is they did it knowing and expecting he wouldn't win. They did it to get their ideas on to a stage that they have been absent from for too long.

Ron Paul was supposed to have been relegated to the 1% range early. All of you were wrong. His effect on the campaign was real as compared to, say, Kucinich. Keeping it going now is a waste of time though.

As for his fundraising. You might make fun of the people who gave him cash, but the reality is they did it knowing and expecting he wouldn't win. They did it to get their ideas on to a stage that they have been absent from for too long.

All those opposed to the idiot Paul were absolutely correct.

He changed nothing, he meant nothing.

We KNEW he wouldn't make a dent.

You didn't.

You thought he was relevent.

I don't think I've done much in the way of making fun of RS about giving money to ron paul. In fact, I think I could dig up posts where I congratulated Ronbots for raising tons of cash on those money-bomb days.

I just think that a candidate with the kind of cash ron paul had, should have done better in getting delegates and votes. He's certainly down there with guilliani with spending tons of cash, with virtually no results to show for it. Noboby expected him to win, but he certainly had the resouces to make a better showing and to change the debate. I don't think he changed the debate at all; his fellow republican candidates are more pro-war and pro-torture than ever.

And I don't think kucinich did anything noteworthy either. But, he only had, what, a few hundred thousand dollars?

I don't think I've done much in the way of making fun of RS about giving money to ron paul. In fact, I think I could dig up posts where I congratulated Ronbots for raising tons of cash on those money-bomb days.

I just think that a candidate with the kind of cash ron paul had, should have done better in getting delegates and votes. He's certainly down there with guilliani with spending tons of cash, with virtually no results to show for it. Noboby expected him to win, but he certainly had the resouces to make a better showing and to change the debate. I don't think he changed the debate at all; his fellow republican candidates are more pro-war and pro-torture than ever.

And I don't think kucinich did anything noteworthy either. But, he only had, what, a few hundred thousand dollars?

And it is obvious why. The media and the debate moderators were clearly biased against him.

With losses mounting, Paul downsizes campaign

National staff for White House bid will be 'leaner' as he turns focus to keeping House seat

By BENNETT ROTH and R. G. RATCLIFFE
Houston Chronicle

Ron Paul, the Lake Jackson GOP lawmaker whose Internet-driven presidential campaign has smashed fundraising records but failed to garner substantial voter support, is scaling back his White House efforts and is focusing on the primary race to retain his House seat.

In an e-mail message sent to supporters Saturday, Paul said that while he will remain in the presidential race, he must place a priority on his congressional contest, where he faces Friendswood accountant Chris Peden.

"If I were to lose the primary for my congressional seat, all our opponents would react with glee, and pretend it was a rejection of our ideas," he said. "I cannot and will not let that happen."

With Arizona Sen. John McCain on a clear path to the Republican presidential nomination, Paul said he no longer needs as big a national staff, "so," he said, "I am making it leaner and tighter."

No third-party run
Paul repeated earlier pledges that he will not make a third-party run for president. In 1988, he was the Libertarian Party presidential candidate, and thousands of his grassroots backers have encouraged him to continue his national fight through November.

While Paul's opposition to the Iraq war has drawn followers nationally, it has also stirred up dissent in his heavily Republican district. The strangely shaped district hugs the Gulf Coast, takes in pieces of Galveston and Chambers County, reaches up to include parts of Brazoria and Fort Bend counties, and stretches beyond Victoria.

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Paul said he was not worried about retaining his seat in the March 4 primary.

"If we look at the history of running in the district, I usually win without too much trouble, and we assume we will," Paul said.

Paul's primary challenger said he was surprised at the abrupt about-face because the incumbent has thus far not been willing "to come here for a debate."

"He suddenly has awakened to the fact that he has an opponent working very hard," Peden said.

Paul indicated winning the GOP nomination for re-election will be his biggest victory in Texas but said he will make a mark in the presidential voting, too.

Ads to start airing this week
"It's a little bit early to write us off, but I'm not making any predictions that we're going to run away with it, either," he said. "We're going to be continuing the process to remind Republicans what the conservative philosophy is all about."

Paul's spokesman Jesse Benton said the national staff would likely be reduced from 150 to about 50, with those who worked in the Super Tuesday primaries in states such as California being let go.

In addition, Benton said, he and other national staffers will transfer to Paul's congressional re-election operation.

But Benton said that even as Paul wages a primary campaign he will also continue running his presidential campaign in Texas. Three staffers will be assigned to his presidential effort here. He said that the Paul campaign has purchased about $700,000 worth of radio and cable television advertising that is scheduled to start running this week in the Houston, Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth markets.

Benton said that Paul still has about $6 million in his presidential election account. He said the lawmaker cannot transfer that money to his congressional campaign unless he terminates his presidential effort, which he does not intend to do.

But Benton said Paul had recently raised several hundred thousand dollars for his congressional race.

Paul is scheduled to hold a rally for his congressional race today at the Lake Jackson Civic Center from 1:30 to 4 p.m.

Opponent 'running hard'
Local Republican officials said they were not surprised by Paul's decision to concentrate on his local race.

"In terms of the presidential campaign, I think realistically, you know, he's not going to be a viable candidate at the convention, and he does have an opponent in the primary who is running hard," said Mary Anne Wyatt, the chairwoman of the Victoria County GOP.

Jared Woodfill, Harris County GOP chairman, said, "It's very surprising, if not shocking, that he's still in the presidential race. His numbers have gone absolutely nowhere."

Paul's announcement was greeted with sadness by supporters in cyberspace and at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

"His analysis is correct," said Aaron Biterman, a Paul backer from Arlington, Va. "He should be worried about his congressional seat. We don't want to lose Ron Paul in Congress."

Although the libertarian-leaning Paul outpaced all of his GOP presidential rivals in fundraising late last year, he has failed to win a single contest.

He has collected just 14 delegates, according to The Associated Press count, far behind McCain, who has almost sealed the GOP nomination with 719 delegates. Benton, however, contended that Paul has a minimum of 16 delegates and could have as many as 42 when tallies of contests already held are complete.

To win the Republican nomination a candidate must have a total of 1,191 delegates.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/5528537.html

Paul losing his congressional seat would be the frosting on the cake.

why do you feel so threatened by someone that has a total of four delegates?

The revolution is not over. I am seeing that many of these groups are starting to morph into groups that will work within the GOP for change. They are now starting to recruit and run candidates around Paul's platform.

Paul's heroic run will make him a target of the Neocons. I hope he does transfer some of his money. If not, well I am sure the tax rebate checks will make up for mrs. watermark losing some tricks.

pedenback.jpg

All of the analysis by the traditional naysayers on this thread is very, very shortsighted.

The caucus performances for Ron Paul have been nothing short of spectacular, and anyone who glosses over that is nuts. There will be many more Ron Paul delegates at the national convention than are currently being suggested by the media, and it will be an important influence in the convention.

Ron Paul is going back to Congress one of the most well known Representatives in the country, and he will carry with him a national (and international) movement many times larger than the one he had before his run for President.

His ideas are being validated, are being at least rhetorically adpoted by his competitors on both sides of the aisle, and they will begin again to gain currency in the Republican Party and by the vehicle of Ron Paul Republican candidates.

This campaign is launching a new movement. To say the libertarian/paleo-conservative wing of the GOP is now dead because they lost the nomination in their first serious challenge in this last decade is downright foolish.

This wing is the most dedicated and the best positioned to influence the GOP infrastructure on a daily, local and Statewide basis. And Republicans know that taking Ron Paul and those influenced by him seriously works in their benefit.

This campaign achieved much more than we ever anticipated from the start, and with McCain potentially winning the nomination, it will highly divide the party and move it even closer to a much-needed realignment.

All of the analysis by the traditional naysayers on this thread is very, very shortsighted.

The caucus performances for Ron Paul have been nothing short of spectacular, and anyone who glosses over that is nuts. There will be many more Ron Paul delegates at the national convention than are currently being suggested by the media, and it will be an important influence in the convention.

Ron Paul is going back to Congress one of the most well known Representatives in the country, and he will carry with him a national (and international) movement many times larger than the one he had before his run for President.

His ideas are being validated, are being at least rhetorically adpoted by his competitors on both sides of the aisle, and they will begin again to gain currency in the Republican Party and by the vehicle of Ron Paul Republican candidates.

This campaign is launching a new movement. To say the libertarian/paleo-conservative wing of the GOP is now dead because they lost the nomination in their first serious challenge in this last decade is downright foolish.

This wing is the most dedicated and the best positioned to influence the GOP infrastructure on a daily, local and Statewide basis. And Republicans know that taking Ron Paul and those influenced by him seriously works in their benefit.

This campaign achieved much more than we ever anticipated from the start, and with McCain potentially winning the nomination, it will highly divide the party and move it even closer to a much-needed realignment.

That is a ridiculously positive outlook, Adam. Paul doesn't have much of a "movement" behind him. His college students have went home and are now about to cast their vote for Obama. His race in the next election is going to be very difficult because of his anti-war stance, which previously wasn't much highlighted. It's not looking good for Paul.

Caucus's favor extreme people, as Damo has said before. That's why Paul always did so well in caucus. He couldn't even begin to match it in a real primary though.

That is a ridiculously positive outlook, Adam. Paul doesn't have much of a "movement" behind him. His college students have went home and are now about to cast their vote for Obama. His race in the next election is going to be very difficult because of his anti-war stance, which previously wasn't much highlighted. It's not looking good for Paul.

I doubt it. He has expanded his base of support, which was already pretty strong. I never gave money to him before but I am prepared to donate to his congressional race if necessary. If not I will put money into campaigns that are modeling his.

He will attract some more concentrated opposition but they are not going to be very motivated.

Caucus's favor extreme people, as Damo has said before. That's why Paul always did so well in caucus. He couldn't even begin to match it in a real primary though.

Personally, I hope he goes the way of the dodo, but he has scads of $$$:

http://www.rightontheright.com/node/3233

Ron Paul is facing an uphill climb if he wants to win his party's nomination. No, I'm not talking about his Presidential bid, I'm talking about his Congressional race. The FDH Lounge has the big news. Paul's getting out:

Troubled by internal polls showing insurgent challenger Chris Peden having pulled ahead shockingly in the Texas 14th congressional district, Congressman Ron Paul will be pulling out of the Republican presidential race in advance of his home state's March 4 primary, The FDH Lounge blog has learned.​

My own source backs this up. Paul's campaign is looking at internal numbers showing Peden with a 43-32 lead over Paul, with the primary just weeks away. Conservatives have been rallying to Peden, including the folks at RedState, in an attempt to oust the anti-war flamethrower. 11 points with three weeks to go. You have to like those odds. Peden has been added to my slatecard of candidates to support, so throw him some love if you despise the Ron Paul anti-Republican contingent as much as the rest of us.

Back