Senate OKs amendment to allow guns in national parks

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
WASHINGTON -- The Senate yesterday backed an amendment that would allow people to carry loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., sponsored the bill, which he said would protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. The amendment allows firearms in parks and wildlife refuges, as long as they are allowed by federal, state and local law.

Twenty-seven Democrats joined 39 Republicans and one independent in supporting the amendment, which was attached to a bill imposing restrictions on credit-card companies. The amendment was approved 67-29.
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/may/13/three-killed-as-gas-tank-explodes-at-storage-site/

:clink:

Thank God someone has finally seen some sense.

Hopefully this will put a stop to the lethal threat posed by TREES.

scary-tree-costume-500.jpg

I do apologise if i frightened anyone back there.

Thank God someone has finally seen some sense.

Hopefully this will put a stop to the lethal threat posed by TREES.

scary-tree-costume-500.jpg

I do apologise if i frightened anyone back there.
Unlike you Limeys, we actually have wildlife bigger than squirrels running around, including bears, mountain lions and wolves. I've seen all three myself. Of course its the two-legged variety that is the most dangerous.

Unlike you Limeys, we actually have wildlife bigger than squirrels running around, including bears, mountain lions and wolves. I've seen all three myself. Of course its the two-legged variety that is the most dangerous.

If you can't tackle these fearsome beasts without a gun then you, sir, are not the man i thought you were.

LOO have you ever had a 300# black bear within 15 feet? They hiss like a cat; a very big one.

Not quite a bear, admittedly, but i did once encounter a rather aggressive thick-set Bulgarian lady in Portugal one summer, which wasn't entirely dissimilar. She threw the discus i believe. Managed to fend her off with nothing more than a stout stick and a grimace.

Snuck, huh? Is that what they're calling it when the Senate votes on amendments these days?

I'd hold off on the celebration just yet. It'll never pass the House and will get stripped out in conference committee.
If the Democrats squash it then I'll continue to stay out of National Parks. *shrug*

Not quite a bear, admittedly, but i did once encounter a rather aggressive thick-set Bulgarian lady in Portugal one summer, which wasn't entirely dissimilar. She threw the discus i believe. Managed to fend her off with nothing more than a stout stick and a grimace.
Nothing wrong with a tussle in the hay with a lady thrower.
Stephanie%20Brown-Trafton.jpg

One minute ago there was a picture of a lass with her norks out.

I had a 'look' at it.

Now it has gone.

Is this what people meant about this whole "you'll go blind" thing?

Does the amendment include long arms, or just sidearms? And is it those with a permit to carry, or anyone who can own a gun?

Does the amendment include long arms, or just sidearms? And is it those with a permit to carry, or anyone who can own a gun?

It appears to include any firearms that the individual is legally permitted to carry:

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals to Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System.--The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

This is going to make the job of stopping poachers much more difficult.

Indeed. And it's obvious that the of the regulations being repealed are in place to prevent poaching as they prohibit "weapons, traps or nets" in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges.

But the House won't pass it so it will never become law.

Back