Sexism rears its ugly head....

You can also find it in the Anchorage Daily News

Given that you are up there, do you know if anyone other than Stein has made this assertation? I have a hard time accepting the word of someone who is bitter about a political loss as the sole source of this story.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

I truly can't remember, but I will pull it up for clarity. We must be fair! I would want it for Biden.

Let me get my violin.

1) The Kos diary was by some random person. That's what that blog is. Kos took the posting down. In any event, the posting simply reported rumors circling in Alaska. No mainstream source anywhere spilled much ink at all over the rumor. You can get angry with the poster at Kos, but that's about it.

2) Palin's positon on birth control ,abortion and sexual education are fair game, regardless of whether her teenage daughter is pregnant. In fact, McCain selected her in part because of her position on abortion and birth control. In anyone injected this issue into the election it is McCain and Palin. That her daughter is pregnant is just one of life's great ironies.

3) This:

With five children, including an infant with Down syndrome and, as the country learned Monday, a pregnant 17-year-old, Ms. Palin has set off a fierce argument among women about whether there are enough hours in the day for her to take on the vice presidency, and whether she is right to try.

If its true that someone wrote that without attribution as to who these women are arguing over whether Pain can be a mother and be Vice President (particularly those that argue that she can't do it) is bullshit. If people are saying that, I want names. Attributing that to some unnamed "liberals" is bullshit. Name them.

4) The McCain campaign voluntarily disclosed the fact that Palin's daughter was pregnant. No one "outed" her but her mom and her running mate.

5) The McCain campaign is more than happy to keep the nonsense stories going and using the sexism cry as a shield to legitimate criticism of Palin's record as governor and the ongoing investigation into allegations of abuse of power. They're afraid to talk substance so they hide behind this nonsense. That's why you have John McCain meeting the daughter's boyfriend earlier today in front of the cameras, to give the story more legs. And you eat it up. Meanwhile, Palin is hunkered down is some bunker getting briefed on the issue so she can be told what her position is on the issues and what she's going to say in her speech tonight.

Amazing how you managed to leave out the part that it was Stein, the man Palin beat in her original run for Mayor that has made this assertation. I think I will wait for the librarian (or others that may be privy to why she threatened to fire the librarian) to comment before I accept this story completely.

that said, it is a story that should be followed.

The librarian, being an obviously wise person, refused to comment on the matter. Convenient for you. And she didn't threaten to fire the librarian. She fired her only to bring her back after public outcry. Apparently, Palin mentioned book banning at city council meetings. I hope they have footage or transcripts.

The librarian, being an obviously wise person, refused to comment on the matter. Convenient for you. And she didn't threaten to fire the librarian. She fired her only to bring her back after public outcry. Apparently, Palin mentioned book banning at city council meetings. I hope they have footage or transcripts.

Stein doesn't seem to bear her any ill will...I will find the story I read.

I was not able to get that far back into the ADN archives on Stein and Palin, sorry.

It was also during her tenure as mayor and she was in Wasilla, it probably was just a blip in our paper. We are the BIG city, after all!

Oh, see, I first read, I think on mudflap, that she HAD actually fired the Librarian, but then Time reported "threatened to fire", so I posted that instead. And SF just parroted me, but what else is new, he is like my shadow?

From the NYTimes:

Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/us/politics/03wasilla.html?hp

I think people are distinguishing between "threatened to fire because of her refusal to ban books" which she may or may not have done, but she seems to have fired her and maybe just didn't give a reason.

Back