Should Amateur Athletes be paid?

CanadianKid

Canada recently in the last few months started paying money to amateur athletes in sports and also universities have started offering scholarships specifically for student athletes....

I mean individual donors have been doing it for years...but now its a Government mandate...

I'm not a fan of it....I doubt there are many starving athletes....Most athletes have part time jobs such as at Home Depot where athletes work 20hrs a week and get paid for 40 hrs...

You know I feel there is so much better use of money than to pay athletes.... I mean your paying a person to play a sport!

I can understand the fact of professional athletes since they generate revenue....but amateur athletes really dont generate that much revenue.... but they have sponsors...

So why do we need the government to subsidize them like in the USA?

CK

No they should not be paid.
They are in school to learn something besides athletics.

Last edited:
Canada recently in the last few months started paying money to amateur athletes in sports and also universities have started offering scholarships specifically for student athletes....

I mean individual donors have been doing it for years...but now its a Government mandate...

I'm not a fan of it....I doubt there are many starving athletes....Most athletes have part time jobs such as at Home Depot where athletes work 20hrs a week and get paid for 40 hrs...

You know I feel there is so much better use of money than to pay athletes.... I mean your paying a person to play a sport!

I can understand the fact of professional athletes since they generate revenue....but amateur athletes really dont generate that much revenue.... but they have sponsors...

So why do we need the government to subsidize them like in the USA?

CK

If you are a Division I college football or basketball player you are most definitely (props to Jason Kidd for that term) helping to generate millions for your schools athletic department. At many big time schools football generates the revenue that supports the rest of the school's athletic budget. This is especially important after Title IX passed.

If you are a Division I college football or basketball player you are most definitely (props to Jason Kidd for that term) helping to generate millions for your schools athletic department. At many big time schools football generates the revenue that supports the rest of the school's athletic budget. This is especially important after Title IX passed.

So should we pay only the athletes in these programs? Or in all programs like Squash? Field Hockey? Curling?

CK

Pay none of them.

If schools cannot exist on their acedemics and need athletics to support them then we are messed up on our priorities.

LOL. You know what I say to that? Quit. If you're so unhappy about not being paid, quit.

And that's exactly it. They don't do it for the money, and if they were asking for it like greedy bastards they wouldn't get it because there are ten people in line waiting to take their place. It's a privilidge, society doesn't owe you anything for it.

So should we pay only the athletes in these programs? Or in all programs like Squash? Field Hockey? Curling?

CK

I don't think so. At private schools these athletes are getting scholarships worth upwards of a quarter of a million dollars. Athletes do dedicate a lot of time to their sports which is admirable and some help bring in millions to their universities but I still believe the free education and experience they get playing their sport is the benefit and they should not be paid.

Pay none of them.

If schools cannot exist on their acedemics and need athletics to support them then we are messed up on our priorities.

The atheletic scholarships are sort of like a cheap way to get around the requirement that your athletes need to be students. You can still pick up whoever the hell you want with scholarships. These football teams should barely even be called "college" teams, because everyone in the teams just takes basic classes in philosophy or something. They are too stupid to be in college and are there only for the football. I'm like, if that's the casse, just seperate football from college. Don't waste those precious spaces in college for people who aren't smart enough for them and don't want them.

The atheletic scholarships are sort of like a cheap way to get around the requirement that your athletes need to be students. You can still pick up whoever the hell you want with scholarships. These football teams should barely even be called "college" teams, because everyone in the teams just takes basic classes in philosophy or something. They are too stupid to be in college and are there only for the football. I'm like, if that's the casse, just seperate football from college. Don't waste those precious spaces in college for people who aren't smart enough for them and don't want them.

yeah I know, I have a sister that tries to teach college athletes remedial math. Not an easy job.
Lets see if I have 10 pit bulls and I kill one....

he was one of my sisters students btw.

Therefore I guess we are all in agreement that student athletes should not be paid ... except for cawacko who flip flops positions in the course of the same thread...

CK

Being an "amateur" doesn't mean you don't get paid. There are plenty of amateur sculptures who sell a piece or two - that doesn't suddenly make them proffesionals.
It does. You are confusing "hobbyist" with "amatuer" they are not the same thing.

Therefore I guess we are all in agreement that student athletes should not be paid ... except for cawacko who flip flops positions in the course of the same thread...

CK

No. I did not flip flop positions. How are you drawing that conclusion? I simply responded to your initial post. To say some athletes bring in millions of dollars for their university which support the athletics department budget is not stating that I believe they should be paid. It is stating a fact.

I don't believe they should be paid.

they should be given a healthy stipen that allows them the same recreation as the average student.
I think an opinion from a GED is worth about what the degree is.

we'll the football son was put up in a resort style condo on campus.
the wrestlers get a few extra hours of work study, hardly glamorous stuff.
But like I said that's a lot closer than someone who's never been to college.

Back