should debate(s) be postponed

should any debates be postphoned

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I believe the real reason that McCain wants to postpone the debates is because regardless of the fact that this debate is SUPPOSED to be about foreign policy, there is going to be questions about the economy and McCain knows that the Republicans are getting hammered on the economy and he does not want to have to ride that particular wave right now.

I believe the real reason that McCain wants to postpone the debates is because regardless of the fact that this debate is SUPPOSED to be about foreign policy, there is going to be questions about the economy and McCain knows that the Republicans are getting hammered on the economy and he does not want to have to ride that particular wave right now.
That's a likelihood. One can link the two together through Iraq without too much stretching. However, it is the one who is behind in the polls that can get the best out of a debate. It is unlikely that McCain really wants the debate to be totally wiped out.

The best quote I heard today on the morning news was Obama saying that the debates can go on and that he can multi-task.

I agree that is a factor in his decision. But until the parties get an agreement worked out on the credit problems, I prefer we not distract any of the tools with the debate. Because the second that debate is over, the partisan rhetoric is going to ramp up and we don't need bullshit getting in the way of getting this problem resolved.

That said, if they get this deal done today or tomorrow, then the debate should go on.

That's a likelihood. One can link the two together through Iraq without too much stretching. However, it is the one who is behind in the polls that can get the best out of a debate. It is unlikely that McCain really wants the debate to be totally wiped out.

I belive the goals are multifaceted. I belive however he hopes that he can get the VP debate postponed or cancelled. Did you see her in the "friendly" interview with Katie Couric last night? She is clearly a rookie.

So the two people who believe the debates should be canceled are Dixie (who nods his head furiously up and down at anything McCain says and then drops to his knees and screams "PRAISE JAYSUS!" ...and Superfreak.

Mmm, ok.

I belive the goals are multifaceted. I belive however he hopes that he can get the VP debate postponed or cancelled. Did you see her in the "friendly" interview with Katie Couric last night? She is clearly a rookie.

He's tanking. A crisis atmosphere is what Republicans believe benefit Republicans, which is why we often find ourselves in crisis when they are running.

So the two people who believe the debates should be canceled are Dixie (who nods his head furiously up and down at anything McCain says and then drops to his knees and screams "PRAISE JAYSUS!" ...and Superfreak.

Mmm, ok.

1) I stated that they should be DELAYED... not cancelled.... and ONLY if this situation is not resolved by then.

2) If the two parties are working together to get this financial mess resolved... why risk potential partisan bullshit rising up due to the debate? Get this done, then debate. We lose NOTHING from postponing the debate for a week (if needed).

1) I stated that they should be DELAYED... not cancelled.... and ONLY if this situation is not resolved by then.

2) If the two parties are working together to get this financial mess resolved... why risk potential partisan bullshit rising up due to the debate? Get this done, then debate. We lose NOTHING from postponing the debate for a week (if needed).

Actually, according to what has been reported - we will lose one debate if this one is postponed. REason being is that there just isn't the time or the logistics. Too many holidays (mostly Jewish ones I think) between now and the election. The actual consensus, outside the door SF (you shoudl look) is that one will be dumped.

Wanna guess which it might be? :clink:

Praise JAYSUS!

Last night he said that a President should be able to handle more than one thing at a time and that's what he intended to do. The line was a true gem.
Yeah, and from the people who were hacked off about GWB being in Arizona or some other place when Katrina hit are playing the same excuse game that Bush lovers played back then. The fact is he isn't the President and the job we pay him for is going wanting while he's trying to play a politics game.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. It seems that he is one of the few that chooses to get out of the way... ;)

He's paid to be a Senator, and because of his status as leader of his party at this time he is one of the more influential Senators. His Party is looking to McCain and saying they will do what McCain does. He's saying he'll show up "if he is needed".

He won't lose anything from not showing up, but if a deal passes, McCain will surely gain from it.

Yeah, and from the people who were hacked off about GWB being in Arizona or some other place when Katrina hit are playing the same excuse game that Bush lovers played back then.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. It seems that he is one of the few that chooses to get out of the way... ;)

He's paid to be a Senator, and because of his status as leader of his party at this time he is one of the more influential Senators. His Party is looking to McCain and saying they will do what McCain does. He's saying he'll show up "if he is needed".

He won't lose anything from not showing up, but if a deal passes, McCain will surely gain from it.

yeah I heard on PBS how much difference McCain made. And the deal will not be done till about mid next week at least anyway. a cuple of holidays next week. Congress gets so many holidays.

then too McCain has not voted on anything since April....

yeah I heard on PBS how much difference McCain made. And the deal will not be done till about mid next week at least anyway. a cuple of holidays next week. Congress gets so many holidays.

then too McCain has not voted on anything since April....
Prioritizing what is of importance is also something "expected of the President".

Everybody can play the silly game, it isn't that hard to do.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I figure it will be an interesting day.

Here is my actual thoughts rather than fakes in order to get the goat of Darla.

There are many different ways this could go.

If McCain does make it appear he was instrumental in getting something passed, he will gain from it because he shows how he can "cross the aisle and create compromise" as well as show he took the leadership when it was "so necessary".

If there is some serious problem with the bill and nothing gets done, McCain has doomed himself.

Obama will not lose any points from this, but McCain does stand to gain or to lose from it.

That is the short version...

Prioritizing what is of importance is also something "expected of the President".

Everybody can play the silly game, it isn't that hard to do.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I figure it will be an interesting day.

Here is my actual thoughts rather than fakes in order to get the goat of Darla.

There are many different ways this could go.

If McCain does make it appear he was instrumental in getting something passed, he will gain from it because he shows how he can "cross the aisle and create compromise" as well as show he took the leadership when it was "so necessary".

If there is some serious problem with the bill and nothing gets done, McCain has doomed himself.

Obama will not lose any points from this, but McCain does stand to gain or to lose from it.

That is the short version...

So did McCain doom himself?

So did McCain doom himself?
It doesn't appear so. It seems as if people pretty much expected this. It would have doomed him if both of them didn't talk about their optimism that a deal will be reached very soon, and the fact that Congress is talking about one by midnight seems to have forestalled the prediction of doom.

Had he gone there with serious and direct argument going on rather than some sort of consensus projected the doom would have been palpable.

Back