Sin

In Judaism, the korban (קָרְבָּן‎, qorbān), also spelled qorban or corban, is any of a variety of sacrificial offerings described and commanded in the Torah. The plural form is korbanot, korbanoth, or korbanos.

The term korban primarily refers to sacrificial offerings given from humans to God for the purpose of doing homage, winning favor, or securing pardon.[1] The object sacrificed was usually an animal that was ritually slaughtered and then transferred from the human to the divine realm by being burned on an altar.[2][3][4]

In Judaism, the korban (קָרְבָּן‎, qorbān), also spelled qorban or corban, is any of a variety of sacrificial offerings described and commanded in the Torah. The plural form is korbanot, korbanoth, or korbanos.

The term korban primarily refers to sacrificial offerings given from humans to God for the purpose of doing homage, winning favor, or securing pardon.[1] The object sacrificed was usually an animal that was ritually slaughtered and then transferred from the human to the divine realm being burned on an altar.[2][3][4]

"According to the Talmud, a Jewish religious text, the city's economic heart was the Holy Temple, the only place where Israelites could sacrifice animals as offerings to God. Parts of the animal that weren't sacrificed as a burnt offering were often left for people to feast on."

Exodus 22:18 "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

Actually Jesus sacrifice maps back to the Temple sacrifices and served to be the ultimate one as I understand it. So it is all kind of intimately aligned.
"This Exodus quote, found in the King James Version of the Bible, has been widely held responsible for the witch burnings that plagued Europe, and later America, in the Early Modern Period (1450 C.E. – 1750 C.E.). But the murderous practice may have all been the result of a Biblical mistranslation."

[URL]https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/2017-08-17/ty-article/thou-shalt-not-suffer-a-witch-to-live-a-murderous-mistranslation/0000017f-e2c8-d804-ad7f-f3fa49340000[/URL]

The KJV is notorious for mistranslations.

I'm not going down this road again. I've told you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that Jesus was a Jew not a Christian, and Paul is responsible for Christian theology which does not require the gentiles to practice Jewish ritual laws of Torah

Last edited:
"This Exodus quote, found in the King James Version of the Bible, has been widely held responsible for the witch burnings that plagued Europe, and later America, in the Early Modern Period (1450 C.E. – 1750 C.E.). But the murderous practice may have all been the result of a Biblical mistranslation."

[URL]https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/2017-08-17/ty-article/thou-shalt-not-suffer-a-witch-to-live-a-murderous-mistranslation/0000017f-e2c8-d804-ad7f-f3fa49340000[/URL]

The KJV is notorious for mistranslations.

I'm not going down this road again. I've told you over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that Jesus was a Jew not a Christian, and Paul is responsible for Christian theology which does not require the gentiles to practice Jewish ritual laws of Torah

You think no one in Salem ever thought "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" while hanging and murdering witches? Are you that stupid IRL or just on here?

You think no one in Salem ever thought "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" while hanging and murdering witches? Are you that stupid IRL or just on here?
Those women weren't actually witches, so even if the Puritans thought they were following the bible, they weren't.

More importantly, you had to jump in your time machine and time travel backwards 400 years to find some Christians to complain about, on a topic that hasn't had any measurable relevance to Christianity in centuries.

Those women weren't actually witches, so even if the Puritans thought they were following the bible, they weren't.

More importantly, you had to jump in your time machine and time travel backwards 400 years to find some Christians to complain about, on a topic that hasn't had any measurable relevance to Christianity in centuries.
but Catholics will smudge the entire cathedral like a witch.

myrrh.

Doesn't matter. It's what people believed.

No, I was addressing yet another of your incorrect claims.

Doesn't matter. It's what people believed.

No, I was addressing yet another of your incorrect claims
The King James Bible mistranslates the Hebrew word m’khashepah as 'witch'.

Therefore, I was correct about witches not appearing in the bible, at least not as the malevolent spell casters we use the word for.

Mistranslations are not the fault of the bible. It's the fault of the translators.

The King James Bible mistranslates the Hebrew word m’khashepah as 'witch'.

Therefore, I was correct about witches not appearing in the bible, at least not as the malevolent spell casters we use the word for.

Mistranslations are not the fault of the bible. It's the fault of the translators.

Incorrect. Regardless of what the KJV got wrong the people in Salem would be familiar with the KJV thereby making your original claim that their persecution of witches was not related to the OT.

Even if they were the type of Puritans who preferred the Geneva Bible it would also say the same thing in Ex 22:18

In their minds it is quite likely that it was supported by their understanding of the OT.

QED.

Regardless of what the KJV got wrong .. .
:laugh: Thanks for admitting I was correct that witches as malevolent spell casters do not appear in the Bible, which in it's OT rendition was written in Hebrew not in English.

Your Googling style is far too frantic and careless. The KJV is notorious for mistranslations. The science of linguistics has made significant advances since the 15th century.

Frenetic styles of Googling is going to lead to careless assertions.

I said exactly the opposite. You were likely incorrect when you originally claimed it had no connection to the OT.

As per usual you are incapable of debating honestly.
The original question posed was not about what people thought about the bible in 1660.

The insinuation made was why should we care about the bible today, because it has crazy shit like witches.

Today we know the KJV mistranslated an ancient Hebrew word to make it fit with European Medieval stories about malevolent spellcasting witches.

The original question posed was not about what people thought about the bible in 1660.

The insinuation made was why should we care about the bible today, because it has crazy shit like witches.

Today we know the KJV mistranslated an ancient Hebrew word to make it fit with European Medieval stories about malevolent spellcasting witches.

To wit:

I think witches were supposed to be in league with Satan, I don't think it had anything to do with Leviticus or Torah.
(emphasis added)

To which I merely noted that it would NOT be uncommon (and in fact QUITE common) for the people of the time to leverage Exodus 18 as part and parcel of the reason why witches could and should be persecuted.

This is not a discussion of witches as if they were real, but rather one of whether the people doing the persecuting would reference/use/rely on Exodus. Your point was that it had nothing to do with the OT when, in fact, it was probably quite front of mind for them.

we have witches now. what are you talking about?

Back