Social Security is a rip off

Its already established that many/most younger boomers will not collect. Gen X as a whole will not collect. If we find a way to put money back into SS, its possible that future generations will again be able to draw benefits from SS. Of course, we will all have time to plan around it, so we're less dependent on it by nature of being younger.

Its already established that many/most younger boomers will not collect. Gen X as a whole will not collect. If we find a way to put money back into SS, its possible that future generations will again be able to draw benefits from SS. Of course, we will all have time to plan around it, so we're less dependent on it by nature of being younger.
That's what happens with a Ponzi scheme. The guys at the tail end always get screwed.

I think one of the biggest and most succesfull myths about SS is that it's not going to be there for the next generation and that their is no surplus. The fact that you hear young people repeating this mythology with little to no facts to support that just shows how succesfull right wing propaganda has been towards undermining SS. It's a dangerous game with peoples lives that Republicans are playing. SS is not called a golden rail of politics for nothing.

I think one of the biggest and most succesfull myths about SS is that it's not going to be there for the next generation and that their is no surplus. The fact that you hear young people repeating this mythology with little to no facts to support that just shows how succesfull right wing propaganda has been towards undermining SS. It's a dangerous game with peoples lives that Republicans are playing. SS is not called a golden rail of politics for nothing.

Well, considering that SS is going to go bankrupt in 10 years, and I'm only 24, and probably won't be retiring by the time I reach 34, then yeah, I'm pretty much not going to see SS. I laugh at my MyPay form everytime I read the deduction for Soc. Sec. Tax, and then sigh and say, well, at least I'm helping to pay for someone in the present day.

Granted, after SS does go bankrupt, it'll still be more than 30 years before I hit retirement age, so who knows what will happen to maybe salvage the program before that time...

OK,,, But can I be excluded?

I have no faith in any bureaucrat. And you're right, all the money I've payed in is gone.

At the very least, you can continue contributing to the poor souls who are still able to collect at the moment. That's how I console myself when I see it deducted...

SS can be self sustaining for ever if we raise the cap to $150-200k. Or keep politicians out of it. Young people shouldn't believe all corporate propaganda they hear.

SS can be self sustaining for ever if we raise the cap to $150-200k. Or keep politicians out of it. Young people shouldn't believe all corporate propaganda they hear.
So your solution is to double that tax on Americans making over $90k. When that doesn't work will you also cut their benefits?

Not only that but even with out raising the cap SS is still creating a surplus. I mean idiotic comments about SS going bankrupt in 10 years are completely divorced from reality.

So your solution is to double that tax on Americans making over $90k. When that doesn't work will you also cut their benefits?
That's an idiotic argument. You're saying that someone who is making $75,000 a year has to pay 100% of their payroll tax but if a person makes more then $150,000 a year they don't?

I mean who are Republicans trying to kid? They could give a flying fuck less if the majority of our seniors live as dependents on their children or in abject poverty as they did before SS. What you want is to privatize SS so that you can line likes hogs at the trough and rape it.

I mean after 2009 banking crises the American people would have to be idiots of the greatest degree to trust Wall Street with our SS money

It would be like giving a machine gun to a monkey.

That's an idiotic argument. You're saying that someone who is making $75,000 a year has to pay 100% of their payroll tax but if a person makes more then $150,000 a year they don't?

I mean who are Republicans trying to kid? They could give a flying fuck less if the majority of our seniors live as dependents on their children or in abject poverty as they did before SS. What you want is to privatize SS so that you can line likes hogs at the trough and rape it.

I mean after 2009 banking crises the American people would have to be idiots of the greatest degree to trust Wall Street with our SS money

You're saying that someone making twice as much has to pay twice as much for the same benefit. That's retarded.

The rest of your post is baseless drivel.

Well the government is sure doing one fucking awesome job of managing it. One thing I agree with Crash on is that the govt. needs to get its filthy little hands off of the SS fund and stop spending the money on cheap booze and dirty hookers, or whatever it is they seem to find so important that the money can't simply be saved for its actual purpose.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/01/retirement/SStrustees_2006report/index.htm

Now, as for your claims:

Medicare to die in 2018.
SS to survive until 2040.

That said, the story is from 2006, meaning its pre-recession and pre-Obama, who is currently running rather artistic and creative annual budget deficits, so I doubt either is going to be depleted on or after those two years.

At the very least, you can continue contributing to the poor souls who are still able to collect at the moment. That's how I console myself when I see it deducted...

My opinion is, "they voted for these things". Some generation is going to have to bite the bullet. Let it be the ones who are responsible.

I vote to phase it out pronto.

His attempt was all just lip service like the rest of him.
Was an SS reform bill submitted ?

Bush used two sets of numbers for his lies on SS. His numbers on the supposed superiority of the return on invested SS money was predicated on a sustained expansion of GDP the country has NEVER experienced, and the supposed lack of return on SS was based on annual GDP figures well below those the country was experiencing. He gave us a pie-in-the-sky, totally unrealistic, never happened before, better than best case scenario for the performance of privately invested funds, and a worse scenario than was extant at the time for SS. He was comparing apples to oranges, and lying. In the first place, when comparing relative performance, you have to use the same baseline. You also have to compare things that are comparable. SS is not and was never conceived as an investment, so comparing it with private investment is meaningless. There must also be a real relationship between the metric chosen as the baseline and that which it is purported to measure. There is no relationship between the stock market and the economy. The only stock market investment that benfits the economy is an IPO and subsequent public offerings by the company issuing the stock. Investor to investor stock sales are just churning, and have nothing to do with the economy. Go to the Commerce Dept website and look up the leading economic indicators. There is ZERO mention of the NYSE or NASDAQ or the DJI, because they don't indicate shit. In the seven recessions that preceded the one in which we are now mired (and which we can't include in this example, because it isn't done yet), the DJI was up during two, down during two, and even on the other three. Statistically, that translates to no correlation. Inventories is an indicator, with an inverse correlation to the economy. When inventories are up, the economy is heading down, consistently. Housing starts is another indicator, with a direct correlation. When they are down, so is the economy, consistently. But two up, two down, and three even has less predictive power than an Ouija board or Punxsutawney Phil.

The greedy pricks in the investment banks wanted that money for themselves. I will guarantee you if the SS trust fund is ever invested in the market, It will be gone in less than a year, and probably within 6 months, and the Wall Street pigs will be ever so surprised that the fund is gone, and they'll use terms like "market volatility, and it will be totally unforeseen, but it will be gone. Anybody who thinks different has not been paying attention for the last thirty years.

Not only that but even with out raising the cap SS is still creating a surplus. I mean idiotic comments about SS going bankrupt in 10 years are completely divorced from reality.

Well that's interesting Hoopy. Just last year when I received my annual statement for 2009, it indicated that there would be a percentage reduction in payouts for SS by 2012 and it was the first time in all my annual statements where they openly admitted there was dire trouble ahead in print, but don't believe me.

Please refer to the Liberal/ertarian bible, the bastion of efficiency, the NY Times. You know. That paper that tells the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help them GAWD!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/us/politics/13health.html

Bush used two sets of numbers for his lies on SS. His numbers on the supposed superiority of the return on invested SS money was predicated on a sustained expansion of GDP the country has NEVER experienced, and the supposed lack of return on SS was based on annual GDP figures well below those the country was experiencing. He gave us a pie-in-the-sky, totally unrealistic, never happened before, better than best case scenario for the performance of privately invested funds, and a worse scenario than was extant at the time for SS. He was comparing apples to oranges, and lying. In the first place, when comparing relative performance, you have to use the same baseline. You also have to compare things that are comparable. SS is not and was never conceived as an investment, so comparing it with private investment is meaningless. There must also be a real relationship between the metric chosen as the baseline and that which it is purported to measure. There is no relationship between the stock market and the economy. The only stock market investment that benfits the economy is an IPO and subsequent public offerings by the company issuing the stock. Investor to investor stock sales are just churning, and have nothing to do with the economy. Go to the Commerce Dept website and look up the leading economic indicators. There is ZERO mention of the NYSE or NASDAQ or the DJI, because they don't indicate shit. In the seven recessions that preceded the one in which we are now mired (and which we can't include in this example, because it isn't done yet), the DJI was up during two, down during two, and even on the other three. Statistically, that translates to no correlation. Inventories is an indicator, with an inverse correlation to the economy. When inventories are up, the economy is heading down, consistently. Housing starts is another indicator, with a direct correlation. When they are down, so is the economy, consistently. But two up, two down, and three even has less predictive power than an Ouija board or Punxsutawney Phil.

The greedy pricks in the investment banks wanted that money for themselves. I will guarantee you if the SS trust fund is ever invested in the market, It will be gone in less than a year, and probably within 6 months, and the Wall Street pigs will be ever so surprised that the fund is gone, and they'll use terms like "market volatility, and it will be totally unforeseen, but it will be gone. Anybody who thinks different has not been paying attention for the last thirty years.

Well, luckily there's nothing TO invest in the market.

You're dreaming if you think there's politicians in this country that will do what it would take to save SS.

what bullshit.
Raise the cap on SS and double payments to recipients. This will put money into local economies because people will spend this money and boost local businesses, unlike tax cuts for the rich.

Back