Some Myth Busting Facts About The 1960's.

philly rabbit

Verified User
Myth: the 1960's were about sex, drugs, and rock and roll baby in America.

Fact: The 1960's saw a conservative America that was in every way conservative. Young girls looked forward to marriage and children. Young boys were always boys but were taught that marriage and fidelity with one woman and children was the way to go. Drugs were something you got from the local drug store with or without a doctor's prescription. Elvis Presley, every bit a rock and roll star also gave the country his version of conservative rhythm and blues and southern gospel and his strong ties to his southern family values and duty to country demonstrated by his drafting into the army and his insistence to entering it as a regular soldier. America's most popular song artists were country and western singers and Broadway show stars. Singers like Andy Williams and crooners like Bobby Vinton had hit records at the top of the charts.

Myth: The country's colleges and universities were filled with young idealists who promoted social justice and human rights for the people and revolutionary change.

Fact: America's universities in America were institutions of higher learning which pursued knowledge and their students went there to learn to better serve themselves by higher paying employment in society once they graduated. The faculty staffs taught students how to think - not what to think and social justice ventures weren't anything close to a priority. The revolutionaries of the university set was festering in California at the time at Berkeley where some of the country's more violent movements passed through Berkeley's portals such as Tom Haden's Students For A Democratic Society and the leaders of the Black Panthers which would sweep across the continent to colleges like Columbia, Harvard and Yale. The leaders of the so called Berkeley "free speech movement" were actually opposed to free speech, capitalism, and democracy.

Myth: Leading sixties peaceniks preached love and peace and all the kids worshipped them and rejected their parents middle class values and followed their message.

Fact: The sixties peacenik leaders unabashedly celebrated Communism and violent crime.

Myth: Hollywood was a main player in the sixties with the counter culture revolution producing blockbuster films featuring sexually liberated feminists and anti hero males.

Fact: The most popular actor in the movies in the sixties was John Wayne and the most popular actress was Julie Andrews.

Myth: The Beatles crashed the American scene from England and changed everything with cool songs about drugs and revolution.

Fact: The Beatles came on the American scene in the sixties and gave the country rock and roll songs for and about love sick teenagers. Some of the Beatles most popular songs that rivaled or topped any revolutionary drug songs they performed were love ballads.

Fact: The 1960's saw a conservative America that was in every way conservative. Young girls looked forward to marriage and children. Young boys were always boys but were taught that marriage and fidelity with one woman and children was the way to go. Drugs were something you got from the local drug store with or without a doctor's prescription. Elvis Presley, every bit a rock and roll star also gave the country his version of conservative rhythm and blues and southern gospel and his strong ties to his southern family values and duty to country demonstrated by his drafting into the army and his insistence to entering it as a regular soldier. America's most popular song artists were country and western singers and Broadway show stars. Singers like Andy Williams and crooners like Bobby Vinton had hit records at the top of the charts.

Myth: The country's colleges and universities were filled with young idealists who promoted social justice and human rights for the people and revolutionary change.

Fact: America's universities in America were institutions of higher learning which pursued knowledge and their students went there to learn to better serve themselves by higher paying employment in society once they graduated. The faculty staffs taught students how to think - not what to think and social justice ventures weren't anything close to a priority. The revolutionaries of the university set was festering in California at the time at Berkeley where some of the country's more violent movements passed through Berkeley's portals such as Tom Haden's Students For A Democratic Society and the leaders of the Black Panthers which would sweep across the continent to colleges like Columbia, Harvard and Yale. The leaders of the so called Berkeley "free speech movement" were actually opposed to free speech, capitalism, and democracy.

Myth: Leading sixties peaceniks preached love and peace and all the kids worshipped them and rejected their parents middle class values and followed their message.

Fact: The sixties peacenik leaders unabashedly celebrated Communism and violent crime.

Myth: Hollywood was a main player in the sixties with the counter culture revolution producing blockbuster films featuring sexually liberated feminists and anti hero males.

Fact: The most popular actor in the movies in the sixties was John Wayne and the most popular actress was Julie Andrews.

Myth: The Beatles crashed the American scene from England and changed everything with cool songs about drugs and revolution.

Fact: The Beatles came on the American scene in the sixties and gave the country rock and roll songs for and about love sick teenagers. Some of the Beatles most popular songs that rivaled or topped any revolutionary drug songs they performed were love ballads.

Where exactly do you get your "facts"?

Horseshit. The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band came out in the sixties along with Bob Dylan's ("Everybody Must Get Stoned"), The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Country Joe and the Fish, The Holy Model Rounders, The Village Fugs, Acid, Pot, Hashish, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors named after Alduous Huxley's own experience with LSD, The Doors of Perception, The Cream. John Mayall, Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Obviously you are relaying on some other liars for your information because you don't know shit about the 60s.

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't think he's ever read a book, let alone discovered a fact.

I don't do links peg pants. I don't present a link then you present a counter link and it goes on and on with never ending links.

Maybe you yourself should try doing something else here besides troll and especially troll me - religious bigot parking lot philosopher.

Horseshit. The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band came out in the sixties along with Bob Dylan's ("Everybody Must Get Stoned"), The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Country Joe and the Fish, The Holy Model Rounders, The Village Fugs, Acid, Pot, Hashish, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors named after Alduous Huxley's own experience with LSD, The Doors of Perception, The Cream. John Mayall, Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Obviously you are relaying on some other liars for your information because you don't know shit about the 60s.

I acknowledged all those songs that your people cherished. I never said they didn't exist and I certainly didn't suggest that they weren't popular among yours. But what I did say was that popular culture music wasn't dominated by your brand of music and more conservative type of music still rivaled or moved past all of that in national popularity.

You should learn how to absorb what you read first before you knee jerk react. Your pop culture music representing your revolution wasn't a confirmation of societal change in the 60's because the 60's through it's popular music and entertainment culture confirmed that it was still conservative.

The key point about the '60's was that decency came back into politics. The drugs were decoration for the ignorant.

I acknowledged all those songs that your people cherished. I never said they didn't exist and I certainly didn't suggest that they weren't popular among yours. But what I did say was that popular culture music wasn't dominated by your brand of music and more conservative type of music still rivaled or moved past all of that in national popularity.

You should learn how to absorb what you read first before you knee jerk react. Your pop culture music representing your revolution wasn't a confirmation of societal change in the 60's because the 60's through it's popular music and entertainment culture confirmed that it was still conservative.

What conservative types were more popular?

Did you live with the people under the stairs?

You sure didn't live in any reality based world.

What conservative types were more popular?

Did you live with the people under the stairs?

You sure didn't live in any reality based world.

You go to Hell - you filthy rock band groupie. Go back and read what I wrote and keep your insults to yourself while you do it.

You go to Hell - you filthy rock band groupie. Go back and read what I wrote and keep your insults to yourself while you do it.

I do go to hell every time I read one of your posts!

If you don't want people asking you to back up your bull then quit posting nonsense.

Last edited:
1. Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Shirelles
2. Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles
3. Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
4. Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters
5. Stay - Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs
6. Chain Gang - Sam Cooke
7. Save The Last Dance For Me - Drifters
8. Shop Around - Miracles
9. The Twist - Chubby Checker
10. Cathy's Clown - Everly Brothers

1. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
2. Crazy - Patsy Cline
3. The Wanderer - Dion
4. Runaround Sue - Dion
5. Crying - Roy Orbison
6. Hit The Road Jack - Ray Charles
7. Runaway - Del Shannon
8. Quarter To Three - Gary U.S. Bonds
9. It Will Stand - Showmen
10. Running Scared - Roy Orbison

1. Green Onions - Booker T. & the MG's
2. Bring It On Home To Me - Sam Cooke
3. You've Really Got A Hold On Me - Miracles
4. The Loco-Motion - Little Eva
5. Sherry - Four Seasons
6. I Can't Stop Loving You - Ray Charles
7. Up On The Roof - Drifters
8. Twist And Shout - Isley Brothers
9. These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding
10. Do You Love Me - Contours

1. Louie Louie - Kingsmen
2. She Loves You - Beatles
3. I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles
4. Be My Baby - Ronettes
5. I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles
6. Surfin' USA - Beach Boys
7. Glad All Over - Dave Clark Five
8. It's All Right - Impressions
9. Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan / Peter Paul & Mary
10. Please Please Me - Beatles

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - Righteous Brothers
2. My Girl - Temptations
3. You Really Got Me - Kinks
4. House Of The Rising Sun - Animals
5. Where Did Our Love Go - Supremes
6. I Get Around - Beach Boys
7. Dancing In The Street - Martha & the Vandellas
8. Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
9. A Hard Day's Night - Beatles
10. She's Not There - Zombies

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
2. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
3. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett
4. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown
5. My Generation - The Who
6. Mr. Tambourine Man - Byrds / Bob Dylan
7. Yesterday - Beatles
8. The Sounds Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
9. Ticket To Ride - Beatles
10. The Tracks Of My Tears - Miracles

1. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
2. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge
3. Reach Out, I'll Be There - Four Tops
4. Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group
5. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Temptations
6. Eight Miles High - Byrds
7. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
8. Paint It Black - Rolling Stones
9. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Supremes
10. Wild Thing - Troggs

1. Respect - Aretha Franklin
2. Light My Fire - Doors
3. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream
4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
5. A Day In The Life - Beatles
6. Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
7. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane
8. Soul Man - Sam & Dave
9. Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles
10. Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues

1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
2. Hey Jude - Beatles
3. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
4. Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
5. Mony Mony - Tommy James & the Shondells
6. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
7. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
8. White Room - Cream
9. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones
10. Revolution - Beatles

1. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
2. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival
3. I Want You Back - Jackson 5
4. Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones
5. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
7. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin
8. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
9. Come Together - Beatles
10. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations

I don't do links peg pants. I don't present a link then you present a counter link and it goes on and on with never ending links.

Maybe you yourself should try doing something else here besides troll and especially troll me - religious bigot parking lot philosopher.
I missed this.

So how about a book? Do you know the name of a book? News program? ANYTHING VERIFIABLE AT ALL?

I do go to hell every time I read one of your posts!

If you don't want people asking you to back up your bull then quit posting nonsense.

Why not refute them with some facts of your own? I know; you can't because it would require effort and you have been trained to parrot the pabulum of leftist dogma being fed to you by the DNC and leftist blogs.

Rana is a groupie. At least he got that right. :D

Ok, you want to kiss the rock band camp follower's ass.

What were her people called back then, they had a title, what was it?

I'm going to prove right now that this whole PC notion that when these radicals came on the scene everybody in the country didn't open their arms and shout: We've been liberated!

Last edited:
Back