Speed limits... who needs em!

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Look at the Autobahn. Average speed is 90 MPH and they have a lower accident rate than the US. If we'd take appropriate measures we wouldn't need to have these intrusive speed limit laws.

Look at the Autobahn. Average speed is 90 MPH and they have a lower accident rate than the US. If we'd take appropriate measures we wouldn't need to have these intrusive speed limit laws.

I don't think the average speed is 90 mph. The traffic is so bad there now, they're lucky to make 50.

Speed limits are for public safety. First of all, the autobahn is much smaller than the US interstate system, and more people drive in the United States (population for sure, and I would guess per capita as well) than in Germany.

Secondly, the road regulations on the autobahn are much more strict than in the United States--- yes, there is no speed limit (at least in the fastest lanes, in the slower lanes there are limits), but the German police will swiftly come down on you if you are driving in the least bit unsafely or irresponsibly.

Speed limits are for public safety. First of all, the autobahn is much smaller than the US interstate system, and more people drive in the United States (population for sure, and I would guess per capita as well) than in Germany.

Secondly, the road regulations on the autobahn are much more strict than in the United States--- yes, there is no speed limit (at least in the fastest lanes, in the slower lanes there are limits), but the German police will swiftly come down on you if you are driving in the least bit unsafely or irresponsibly.

Why is it that everyone uses the size of the United States whenever talking about everything? Would speed limits be less effective in the 1970's? Do you understand per capita?

Maybe we should hire more police? :dunno:

Tax cuts are awesome.

Why is it that everyone uses the size of the United States whenever talking about everything? Would speed limits be less effective in the 1970's? Do you understand per capita?

Maybe we should hire more police? :dunno:

Tax cuts are awesome.

Because more people= more of a possibility of accidents.

You aren't using the percentages, you are using the numbers, which is faulty.

It could be that both countries have the same percentage of accidents per year, but that the United States has more actual accidents because there are more people. I imagine that is why "everyone" uses the size.

Not to mention that the autobahn is, again, much smaller than the US interstate system. Comparing the autobahn to the US would only be fair if you compared the Autobahn to, say, the interstate system that runs through Texas (about the same size).

Because more people= more of a possibility of accidents.

You aren't using the percentages, you are using the numbers, which is faulty.

It could be that both countries have the same percentage of accidents per year, but that the United States has more actual accidents because there are more people. I imagine that is why "everyone" uses the size.

More people = a general correlation toward more of everything.

Making pure totals useless in statistics. It doesn't matter how many accidents happen in the entire US, just how many are likely to happen on a said stretch of road.

Not to mention that the autobahn is, again, much smaller than the US interstate system. Comparing the autobahn to the US would only be fair if you compared the Autobahn to, say, the interstate system that runs through Texas (about the same size).

So, because an interstate is larger, it needs speed limits?

It couldn't be, that if you regulated each and every inch as effecitvely as the other guy, which would be just as easy, being that you have a proportionally larger amount of people to draw funds from, that you could be just as effective?

Wow. You're like Einstein. More people = a general correlation toward more of everything.

Making pure totals useless in statistics. It doesn't matter how many accidents happen in the entire US, just how many are likely to happen on a said stretch of road.

Um, yes. That is how percentages (i.e., real data) work.

Say there are 100 people in Germany, and 1000 people in the United States.

If 10 people die in one year in auto crashes in Germany, and 100 people die in the United States, you would argue that Germany's lack of a speed limit is the difference? Because as far as I can see the percentage of deaths is the same, therefore the variable in question is the population size.

Up until a year or so ago the Northern Territory (Australia) had no speed limits outside of a city, town or township. But Territorians kill themselves on the roads at the highest rate in Australia so the Territory government brought in speed limits. I don't know if it will make much of a difference but the NT Government had to be seen to be doing something :rolleyes:

Up until a year or so ago the Northern Territory (Australia) had no speed limits outside of a city, town or township. But Territorians kill themselves on the roads at the highest rate in Australia so the Territory government brought in speed limits. I don't know if it will make much of a difference but the NT Government had to be seen to be doing something :rolleyes:

We don't need no stinkin speed limits!

For a while Montana had a "due caution" speed limit. Which meant that at whatever speed you were driving, if you were the cause of the accident you were not using due caution. Here in NM we have stretches of divided highway that run for over one hundred miles before you get to a population center. We should NOT have speed limits. I drove for 3 years on the Autobahn, when I actually drove, and the Autobahn between Munich and Stutgardt has as many people on it at any time of the day as any other highway between say, San Diego and LA. Yet people drive in the far right hand lane and PASS ONLY in the left. If you don't you get a ticket. No reason we could not do that in this country. When you are in the major metropolitan areas of Germany, ie Munich, Frankfurt Berlin, there is a speed limit inside those areas, the speed limits only go away on the autobahn between cities on open road. The truth is government think that you are to stupid to drive within your limits. The other only real difference is that we let 16 year olds drive on the Highways and Germany does not. So I guess that difference would be a good enough one to justify speed limits.

Back