Speed limits... who needs em!

I5 and 405 through the sound are shit freeways. They're divoted to all hell, its like 4 wheeling all the time. That being said, its probably the best place to live on the mainland.

Yeah it is all the liberals that makes it a good place.

Yeah it is all the liberals that makes it a good place.

Well, it is the best place I've ever lived. Even better than here I think. Its a beautiful city. Who knows if they'll ever figure out the transit system.

The freeways are a joke. They look like old roads with tire tracks.

Abolishing speed limits would not do us any good in the Puget Sound area. The roads suck to begin with. I have hit 80 on I-5 a few times and just thought to myself, there is no way I am going any faster or maintaining this speed for much longer. Secondly, there is so much traffic congestion for much of the day that it wouldn't really matter. Of course, Puget Sound is basically endless urban and suburban landscape from Olympia on up to Everett.

I like driving in the States, by and large you have very good drivers, but I did have a blue with a prick who wanted to get difficult with me (a harmless tourist) on the road near the Seahawks stadium a few years ago. Funny how something like that can come back to you.

And before I get a raspberry, no I wasn't driving on the wrong side of the road.

I did that in Elysian Park years ago on my first visit to the States :o

I like driving in the States, by and large you have very good drivers, but I did have a blue with a prick who wanted to get difficult with me (a harmless tourist) on the road near the Seahawks stadium a few years ago. Funny how something like that can come back to you.

And before I get a raspberry, no I wasn't driving on the wrong side of the road.

Didn't you say you've never been to the states? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Not to worry, Seattle drivers are incredibly rude. Also, Pacific NW drivers are really shitty. People move up here from SoCal and elsewhere (we get a lot of people from New England as well) and are astounded at how ignorant NW drivers are.

If you can handle the traffic problems, which are virtually endless-- impressively bad roads, a govt. obsessed with lousy transit, boondogles like the failed monorail attempt (5 times the charm, we finally voted it down), a govt. obsessed with trying to get people out of their cars in a region where people are most obsessed with driving, the impending apocalypse of the Alaskan Way Why-A-Duck, et. al.--then this is the best damn place to live.

I've only been there once and I was driving up to Vancouver (the big one, the one in Canada) but I like the PNW. I checked into the Travelodge near the Space Needle and the bloke behind the desk told me it was weird because it hadn't rained for a couple of days :D

I loved the aviation museum with the Boeing Red Shed thing and I got to sit in an F/A18 prototype (the fellow showing me the aircraft told me I was too tall to be a fighter pilot - he was too polite to add "gutless" as well), they had a Blackbird there too, I cut my finger running it along the edge of the wing, damn it was sharp. I did the tourist trail through the mountains (well, they were mountains to me) and saw where they produce all the electrical power and stayed in a nice town that was sort of reconstructed, with a boardwalk and all.

And the turnouts - people actually use them, that was good.

Rainier beer. Great beer but you folks can't pronounce it properly :D

Oh and my Canadian (BC) ex told me it's pronounced "Warshington".

Sorry, terribly rude thread drift.

I've only been there once and I was driving up to Vancouver (the big one, the one in Canada) but I like the PNW. I checked into the Travelodge near the Space Needle and the bloke behind the desk told me it was weird because it hadn't rained for a couple of days :D

I loved the aviation museum with the Boeing Red Shed thing and I got to sit in an F/A18 prototype (the fellow showing me the aircraft told me I was too tall to be a fighter pilot - he was too polite to add "gutless" as well), they had a Blackbird there too, I cut my finger running it along the edge of the wing, damn it was sharp. I did the tourist trail through the mountains (well, they were mountains to me) and saw where they produce all the electrical power and stayed in a nice town that was sort of reconstructed, with a boardwalk and all.

And the turnouts - people actually use them, that was good.

Rainier beer. Great beer but you folks can't pronounce it properly :D

Oh and my Canadian (BC) ex told me it's pronounced "Warshington".

Sorry, terribly rude thread drift.

A few people, such as myself call it Warshington (because its hilarious). Also, I like to pronounce Vancouver BC "Van-q-ver" to distinguish it from Vancouver WA. Additionally, people from the PNW and New England have incorrect preconceived notions about one-another's accents, so NE calls Oregon "Ore-gone" and PNW call "Conquered" (Concord, NH) "Con-chord."

Ain't it great?!? :clink:

I don't think the average speed is 90 mph. The traffic is so bad there now, they're lucky to make 50.

I doubt it. I can see more traffic slowing us down--because we pump up a ball to 6psi and throw it around. Over there--they race, and they know how to drive.

Speed limits are needed in some areas, and not in others. It depends on the population in the area, and the terrain. Have you ever driven 60mph through the flat land of Georgia? The thing is, you should not be able to put other people (espically the ones who go slow--they are always in the way), at a risk.

I don't think any state has a un.imited speed limit anymore, but I could be wrong. I think it is the racers, and automotive companies testin on public roads that kinda put a stop to that. I think there has to be limits, because stuff is so fast today, they could even put a innocent driver around them in danger by coming up on them too fast if they are going slow. But the limit in Georgia could be double--no problem. You can see for miles and miles and miles. :)

I love speed, and raced dirt bikes for 10 years. I know you have to be responsible with it. I think many of our road systems would have to be designed to accomidate it today--with the fast stuff we can get (over 200mph).

Public roads are really for the public. But, you can always experience no speed limits at your local race track. But there are not to many stick and ball sports dupes doing that--so you better know how to drive. :)

Last edited:
Back