Stop the insanity! 5 trillion so far

uscitizen

Villified User
Washington's $5 Trillion Tab
Elizabeth Moyer, 11.12.08, 05:15 PM EST
Fighting the financial crisis has put the U.S. on the hook for some $5 trillion a report says. So far.

For all the fury over Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's $700 billion emergency economic relief fund, it seems downright puny when compared to the running total of the government's response to the credit crisis.

According to CreditSights, a research firm in New York and London, the U.S. government has put itself on the hook for some $5 trillion, so far, in an attempt to arrest a collapse of the financial system.

http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/11/12/paulson-bernanke-fed-biz-wall-cx_lm_1112bailout.html

You know what The U.S. has as collateral so foreign investors will keep doing business with us? A population they're willing to reduce to slaves if necessary. And real estate that will be turned over to foreign companies by corrupt local politicians using force, backed by the kelo decision.

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Last edited:
I am becoming less convinced all the time that the USA will actually "recover" from the current finiancial mess.

Stabilize? yes eventually, but at what level ?

I am becoming less convinced all the time that the USA will actually "recover" from the current finiancial mess.

Stabilize? yes eventually, but at what level ?

At the level of full dictatorship, and mass elimination of large segments of the population.

There has been a rumor for years about a certain political group wanting to bankrupt the US government. And I am not talking about external enemies. It is looking like they have finally suceeded.

In addition to the $5 trillion identified by the author and David Hendler of CreditSights, there are rumblings on the horizon of a growing storm of consumer credit card and college loan defaults.

Some estimates place the potential amount between $1.5 to $2 trillion.

With the financial and banking sector unwilling to take the losses, as Hendler accurately points out, the taxpayer may well be placed on the hook for what is ultimately $7 trillion dollars over the course of just 18 months. That in addition to a National Debt that has continued to grow by an average of $3.95 billion a day since September, 2007.

As of today, each citizen's share of the National Debt is $34,851.77.

On average, I have about 60 students a semester. So, if all of us were so kind as to send our checks off to the Treasury for our share this afternoon, collectively we'd knock out our $2,091,106.20 share of the tab.

While I'm sure Hank Paulson would be oh so appreciative and inspired by our selfless act of noble citizenship, at a party that's running up a roughly $4 billion bar tab a day, that's not even a round of well shots, much less top shelf or my personal favorite, Jagermeister.

As I told my American Government class last night, what is truly frightening is the increasing ease with which commentators, politicians and governmental officials discuss trillions of dollars in debt.

We're long past the fabled "a billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money."

Make no mistake about it. This is GENERATIONAL debt we're talking about here.

Debt that will outlive the political leaders, captains of industry and fallen financial titans responsible for it by decades and yes, generations.

Despite this, Democrats in Congress will no doubt move diligently ahead with a universal health care program that conservative estimates indicate will add an additional $75 to $100 billion dollars to the annual budget deficit a year. With inflation, that's another $1 trillion tossed on to the National Bar Tab over a decade.

Then again, when you're running half a trillion dollar deficits annually and toss on between $5 and $7 trillion in a single a year, what's another $100 billion between friends?

The problem is no one's had the good sense to close the tab, much less give any serious thought as to how we're going pay it off. To hell with the hangover, this should instantly sober up every American from the halls of Congress to baby's lying in maternity wings with an instant $35,000 IOU attached to their birth certificates.

I'm not fool or arrogant enough to think I have the answer that will magically get us out of the dire straits we currently find ourselves in. However, I would dare say a first step is to take a deep breath, calm down and look at the long term, generational impact of the decisions that are currently being considered by our leaders.

Put the shot glass down, close the tab, step away from the bar, drink a pot of coffee, toss back some Tylenol and think this thing through. Failing that, we're going to drink ourselves to death and leave our children, grand children and great grand children to struggle to pay off the tab.

National-Debt-GDP-L.gif

The national debt is reaching post-WWII levels.

We spent like drunken sailors. Not to get out of a recession, but we spent to finance tax cuts to the ultra-rich. We've gone trillions into the debt because of yachts.

TY conservatards.

A recession is not the time to worry about fixing it.

There has been a rumor for years about a certain political group wanting to bankrupt the US government. And I am not talking about external enemies. It is looking like they have finally suceeded.
Yup. That is the rumor/conspiracy.

National-Debt-GDP-L.gif

The national debt is reaching post-WWII levels.

We spent like drunken sailors. Not to get out of a recession, but we spent to finance tax cuts to the ultra-rich. We've gone trillions into the debt because of yachts.

TY conservatards.

A recession is not the time to worry about fixing it.
We spent it on a war and cut taxes because of a recession. Yes we spent like idiots. But it doesn't appear that it will get any better under Democrats. Shoot, the very first piece of legislation they passed after they gained majority violated their "pay as they go" promise.

We spent it on a war and cut taxes because of a recession.

The war isn't actually a massive generational contributor to our current debt. Our national debt wouldn't be half as bad right now if Bush-Reagan's dads had done the sensible thing and worn a condom. Our national debt exists because our government has financed rich people rather than the people.

The war isn't actually a massive generational contributor to our current debt. Our national debt wouldn't be half as bad right now if Bush-Reagan's dads had done the sensible thing and worn a condom. Our national debt exists because our government has financed rich people rather than the people.
It exists because the government since the 1960s has spent more than it took in. Every year. Even when there was a projected surplus the government still spent more money than it took in. It doesn't exist because of Reagan or Bush specifically, or for the 40 or so years of Democrat control that it thrived in, it exists because every government we have voted for since Kennedy has spent more money than it took in even during peace time. During good times, during bad times. It doesn't matter. We keep voting for people that promise to give us stuff rather than those who will be smart with our money.

I didn't vote for either Presidential candidate because both of them were rushing to promise ever more of our money to programs we couldn't afford. Both of them were speaking of doing the same thing we have been doing and expecting it not to cause a problem, but to solve it.

I personally refuse to continue voting for people who want to continue this insanity. Even if they try to label it "change".

It exists because the government since the 1960s has spent more than it took in. Every year. Even when there was a projected surplus the government still spent more money than it took in. It doesn't exist because of Reagan or Bush specifically, or for the 40 or so years of Democrat control that it thrived in, it exists because every government we have voted for since Kennedy has spent more money than it took in even during peace time.

But inflation and wealth growth would have eventually made that irrelevant and tolerable.

No, the massive debts propped up by Bush and Reagan turned back the 40 years of decreasing debt as % of GDP that proceeded them, and used it to finance tax cuts for the rich.

But inflation and wealth growth would have eventually made that irrelevant and tolerable.

No, the massive debts propped up by Bush and Reagan turned back the 40 years of decreasing debt as % of GDP that proceeded them, and used it to finance tax cuts for the rich.
It wouldn't. Because we grow government above the level of inflation. There was a short period it almost appeared to be working as you say, but now we fully understand that it was a bubble, and know what it looks like when those burst.

And one more time. Democrat control of at least one house of congress as well as the full understanding that only Congress can spend the money tells me that the only time we got close, during those bubbles, is when Rs were in control of Congress.

But even then it was false. Each time they wanted to hold spending to just inflationary rates it was a "cut" of some important thing...

It's sick, and we are stupid if we fall for it again.

Every time they capitulated and increased government more than the inflation rate, soon the Rs became perpetual spending machines because they feared losing power because they were doing what they were elected to do.

WM you are missing the point of they are worse than we are :D
You are missing the point of neither are "worse", both parties worked together to get us where we are now. Over 48 years we have overspent, we have grown, we have created ever more giveaway programs and yet we still cling to some inane spin about the White House being the end all of government. We are perpetuating some inane belief that the President is somehow responsible for every law, every dollar spent, every breath we take.

It's no wonder our kids don't know how government works, even people who are plugged in refuse to recognize that both parties suck when they are spending our money. When they refuse to see the reflection when they are looking in a mirror.

It wouldn't. Because we grow government above the level of inflation.

Of course. But not faster than wealth creation:

outlayspercentgdpb.gif

You are seeking to project that we are going into some dark hole of massive spending, in order to fear people that abolishing government is a good idea, when we've been spending almost the exact same amount compared to our wealth creation for the past 50 years.

There was a short period it almost appeared to be working as you say, but now we fully understand that it was a bubble, and know what it looks like when those burst.

And one more time. Democrat control of at least one house of congress as well as the full understanding that only Congress can spend the money tells me that the only time we got close, during those bubbles, is when Rs were in control of Congress.

But even then it was false. Each time they wanted to hold spending to just inflationary rates it was a "cut" of some important thing...

It's sick, and we are stupid if we fall for it again.

Yeah but we do better than you do.

Back