Strip Search of Teen Illegal SCOTUS says...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31544930/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a school's strip search of an Arizona teenage girl accused of having prescription-strength ibuprofen was illegal.

In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said school officials violated the law with their search of Savana Redding in the rural eastern Arizona town of Safford.

Redding, who now attends college, was 13 when officials at Safford Middle School ordered her to remove her clothes and shake out her underwear because they were looking for pills — the equivalent of two Advils. The district bans prescription and over-the-counter drugs and the school was acting on a tip from another student.

More at link..

FTA - "The high court also ruled school officials cannot be held liable in a lawsuit for the search. Different judges around the nation have come to different conclusions about immunity for school officials in strip searches, which leads the Supreme Court to "counsel doubt that we were sufficiently clear in the prior statement of law," Souter said."

what a bunch of bullshit. I absolutely loathe the 'qualified immunity' crap that this court has dumped on the american people.

Anyone want to guess which liberal on the court said the search was ok under the 4th amendment? Trick question, NONE of the liberals on the Court said it was ok, Clarence, call me the supporter of the police state, Thomas said that the school should have that kind of leeway. Pretty odd that a small government conservative so adored by all you other conservatives would rule that way.

Anyone want to guess which liberal on the court said the search was ok under the 4th amendment? Trick question, NONE of the liberals on the Court said it was ok, Clarence, call me the supporter of the police state, Thomas said that the school should have that kind of leeway. Pretty odd that a small government conservative so adored by all you other conservatives would rule that way.

go figure.

Thomas has me so confused, but through all of the years he's been on the bench it seems that he's all about limiting congressional power and increasing executive power.

FTA - "The high court also ruled school officials cannot be held liable in a lawsuit for the search. Different judges around the nation have come to different conclusions about immunity for school officials in strip searches, which leads the Supreme Court to "counsel doubt that we were sufficiently clear in the prior statement of law," Souter said."

what a bunch of bullshit. I absolutely loathe the 'qualified immunity' crap that this court has dumped on the american people.
If it was my daughter I would extract justice from a male teacher who did that.

I'm pretty sure it's a near-universal policy, because my school was located rather far away from a city (and I was the closest liberal to it).
And? That changes nothing. Your school is the exception that proves the rule. Maybe even your state.

No kid is getting strip searched at any HS in my county, kids do get strip searched at the HS's in Denver. Dogs are not regularly brought through the HS's in my county, they are in the HS's in Denver, NYC, LA, etc.

Zero tolerance is not a "conservative" policy in the schools. Especially against things like fricking Ibuprofen.

And? That changes nothing. Your school is the exception that proves the rule. Maybe even your state.

No kid is getting strip searched at any HS in my county, kids do get strip searched at the HS's in Denver. Dogs are not regularly brought through the HS's in my county, they are in the HS's in Denver, NYC, LA, etc.

Zero tolerance is not a "conservative" policy in the schools. Especially against things like fricking Ibuprofen.

Zero tolerance is drug warrior horseshit that tends to be prevalent among elected politicians of all stripes.

H20's school isn't "the exception that proves the rule." Nor is his state.

Edit: I'd also note for the record that the events in this case occurred in rural eastern Arizona in the town of Safford, population 9,000.

Last edited:
Zero tolerance is drug warrior horseshit that tends to be prevalent among elected politicians of all stripes.

H20's school isn't "the exception that proves the rule." Nor is his state.

Edit: I'd also note for the record that the events in this case occurred in rural eastern Arizona in the town of Safford, population 9,000.
Zero Tolerance is just another way of ensuring the highest level of stupidity. Fricking strip-searching a kid because another one told on them to find ibuprofen? When people begin to think this BS is reasonable we've lost our fricking MINDS. I don't give a crap who builds these retarded "rules" but they need to end.

Zero Tolerance is just another way of ensuring the highest level of stupidity. Fricking strip-searching a kid because another one told on them to find ibuprofen? When people begin to think this BS is reasonable we've lost our fricking MINDS. I don't give a crap who builds these retarded "rules" but they need to end.

It's just the same as the "globalization is always good" crap you and your closet progessive neocons espouse. It's just as idiotic.

Then your wish is granted. (This has to be boring to the rest of the world.)

That's right, that's why we argued for a couple days about china, you saying the whole time that there is no possible way to cease trade with them, or it's stupid, or it's impractical, or it's impossible, or whatever else you pulled out your hole that day.

That's right, that's why we argued for a couple days about china, you saying the whole time that there is no possible way to cease trade with them, or it's stupid, or it's impractical, or it's impossible, or whatever else you pulled out your hole that day.
I said that you wouldn't convince the government to do that so the point was moot.

I disagree with Trading with China, but I am realistic. You know "pragmatic"... That word again...

Back