Study: False Statements Preceded War

uscitizen

Villified User
Study: False Statements Preceded War

Jan 22, 9:17 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - A study by two nonprofit journalism organizations found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The study concluded that the statements "were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses."

The study was posted Tuesday on the Web site of the Center for Public Integrity, which worked with the Fund for Independence in Journalism. White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said he could not comment on the study because he had not seen it.

The study counted 935 false statements in the two-year period. It found that in speeches, briefings, interviews and other venues, Bush and administration officials stated unequivocally on at least 532 occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to produce or obtain them or had links to al-Qaida or both.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080123/D8UBA8Q80.html

More from link above:

Bush led with 259 false statements, 231 about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 28 about Iraq's links to al-Qaida, the study found. That was second only to Powell's 244 false statements about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and 10 about Iraq and al-Qaida.

The center said the study was based on a database created with public statements over the two years beginning on Sept. 11, 2001, and information from more than 25 government reports, books, articles, speeches and interviews.

Cue Willie and his cut and paste montage that he ALWAYS does using statements made BEFORE the war and before the investigation into all of these statements was finished.

President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

This is supposed to surprise us...how?

President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

This is supposed to surprise us...how?

It is a suprise to no one really, the more of intellligent of us realized this long ago. Only about 30% of the republican party still believe the lies.

I just cant believe the party stands so firm with these complete assholes.

I would have so much more respect for the republican party if they had turned against this idot admin and fought them on their stupidity and lies.

They didnt , they marched Lock stepped with him into all these blunders and lies.

I guess under the current days situation I should take being called a partisan by the people trying to shirk responsibility for their actions and inactions as a compliment?

I guess under the current days situation I should take being called a partisan by the people trying to shirk responsibility for their actions and inactions as a compliment?

yeah it was like that with Dixie, he was extremely good with life guidance, all you had to do was go the oposite of what dixie said.

Last edited:
All the Bush supporters are right now looking up the people behind the organization that put out this report. If they worked for, voted for or gazed to long at a democrat they are going to tell you how this is all partisan hackery and how NONE of it is true. We ALL KNOW that the Bush administration lied about Iraq and the lead up war, but the right wingers don't want to ever have to admit it.

What ever happened to Congress' investigation into part II of the pre-war intel (whether or not it was manipulated)?

For all of the hype about Democrats doing nothing but investigating if they won Congress, you really don't hear much about it...

Back