Surgeon General: Why I’m Calling for a Warning Label on Social Media Platforms

Hume

Verified User
The mental health crisis among young people is an emergency — and social media has emerged as an important contributor. Adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media face double the risk of anxiety and depression symptoms, and the average daily use in this age group, as of the summer of 2023, was 4.8 hours. Additionally, nearly half of adolescents say social media makes them feel worse about their bodies.

The mental health crisis among young people is an emergency — and social media has emerged as an important contributor. Adolescents who spend more than three hours a day on social media face double the risk of anxiety and depression symptoms, and the average daily use in this age group, as of the summer of 2023, was 4.8 hours. Additionally, nearly half of adolescents say social media makes them feel worse about their bodies.

I agree with all this but social media is not going anywhere and people, especially kids, aren't likely to curb their consumption of social media.

Brandonpresident, if they do that, you are screwed.

LOL, a warning label. That’s the most gov’t thing to do right there. (Reminds me of Prop 65 in California which requires businesses to provide warnings if there are dangerous chemicals present. Almost every single building you enter has a Prop 65 sticker present. It doesn’t change people’s behaviors one iota.)

The dangers of social media are very real. Jonathan Haidt’s great book ‘The Anxious Generation’ is a must read on the topic.

But a surgeon general’s warning? Ok.

Back