Suspended for not standing for pledge!

I really think this is kind fo indicative of how we treat education and why we have problems with it in this country.

We are not teaching kids to think. we are teaching them to follow commands.

If you had properly internalized the elitism fed to you, you would know it is unwise to encourage individual thought; it's a hindrance to the overall design the elites have for humanity.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18800444.html

Three small-town eighth-graders in Minnesota were suspended by their principal for not standing Thursday morning for the Pledge of Allegiance, violating a district policy that the principal now says may soon be reworded to protect free speech rights.

"My son wasn't being defiant against America," said Kim Dahl, mother of one of the students, Brandt, who attends Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton Junior High School in northwestern Minnesota.

Brandt told the Forum newspaper in Fargo that Thursday's one-day in-school suspension, "was kind of dumb because I didn't do anything wrong. It should be the people's choice."

Is this cool? Seems very uncool to me! Its a small issue, but when the pledge requires acknoldgement of God, thats not freedom, in my book.

You are required to go to school.
At school you required to reconise and acknoledge and give respect to the pledge of alegence.
The pledge of alegence acknoledges that the nation is "under God"~!

I've been down this road before with one of my daughters and one of my sons .. both of whom refused to say OR stand for the "Pledge of Allegence", which itself sounds like something straight out of the Gestapo.

In both cases my kids were reinstated to school the next day .. and my daughters case, caused a revision of school policy that allowed kids to leave the room during the pledge.

I my son's case, he was made to write an essay on why he refused to say or stand for the pledge. He wrote a good essay that articulated his point very well. He got an "A" on it and extra credit.

I was proud of both of them.

Rubbish. Just as if you would wear a yarmulke if you went to the Western Wall, or any other sign of respect for the people you are among, it is not unrealistic or fascist to ask the kid to show respect for others.
Really? What if it's a Quaker who believe in a religeous principle that they should remove their hat for no man. Should they be forced to remove their hat in a court of law? Isn't this the same principle?

Really? What if it's a Quaker who believe in a religeous principle that they should remove their hat for no man. Should they be forced to remove their hat in a court of law? Isn't this the same principle?
Talk about grave-digging.

No, it would not be the same thing. One is a powerful religious belief the other not so much.

So .... freedom of religion should be based on how much "power" a religious organization has?
Not necessarily. What religion were these boys following? (Hint: it was none.)

Comparing a general feeling of contempt with a strong religious belief is pretty lame, BAC.

Back