Swing Voters

Cancel7

Banned
This is a great article about undecideds. I love reading Klein because he is an amazing writer and intellect, and also because he posts the most fabulous vegetarian recipes on his blog at The American Prospect, every weekend. He solved a great tofu problem for me this weekend.

I think he comes to an interesting conclusion here. Not about undecided voters being the stupidest people in America...I think we all already knew that. But about them being unimportant.

Undecided voters?
Studies show that most actually have chosen a candidate.
By Ezra Klein

October 12, 2008

Tuesday's debate may have starred Barack Obama and John McCain, but it wasn't really about them. Rather, it was about an odd and extremely powerful creature in American electoral politics: the Undecided Voter. It was the Undecided Voter whom Gallup asked to submit the questions. It was the Undecided Voter who filled the audience. It was the Undecided Voter who turned the dials controlling CBS' squiggly reaction lines and recorded his (or her) responses for CBS' postelection survey.

It's a bit odd that we give the Undecided Voter such a privileged place in American elections. Because from a civic standpoint, few creatures are as contemptible. This election has dominated every form of American news media for the better part of two years. Newspapers, magazines, networks, cable, radio, blogs, people on street corners with signs -- it's really been rather hard to miss. Further, it pits two extremely different candidates against each other. Whether your metric is age, ideology, temperament, race, funding sources, healthcare plans or Iraq strategies, it would be hard to imagine two men presenting a starker contrast.

But despite this, the Undecided Voter wakes up each morning and says, in effect, "I dunno." And the political system panders to him. Undecided voters are believed to be the decisive slice of the American electorate, so they get the debates and the ads and the focus groups (assuming, that is, that they live in a battleground state).

Political-science research on undecided voters remains a bit sparse, in part because it's hard to pin down who, exactly, they are. It's not a static population. At least initially, we're all undecided voters. More of us are undecided in May than in October.

continued:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-klein12-2008oct12,0,442920,print.story

It is quite simple really.
The MSM has to round up undecided voters so that the candidates will spend tens of millions on ads and such in the MSM.

Well now the MSM has to round up undecided voters so that the candidates will spend tens of millions on ads and such in the MSM.

LOL I know!

If Klein is right though, then this election is over. Unless they can steal it. That last part concerns me of course.

We're all undecided? I don't think so. I'd say about 80% of the people here are not even close to that ever. They will vote their party regardless of who is the candidate.

We're all undecided? I don't think so. I'd say about 80% of the people here are not even close to that ever. They will vote their party regardless of who is the candidate.

Umm I think that is the point of the thread Captain Obvious.

That is totally not the point of the article. Try reading the whole thing. Try not to get me into a circle jerk over one line where he says most of us are undecided in May but not in october.

That is totally not the point of the article. Try reading the whole thing. Try not to get me into a circle jerk over one line where he says most of us are undecided in May but not in october.
Only you can get yourself into a circle jerk. I was making a point that almost nobody who is political that I know are likely to be undecided ever, even in May. Whether you want to reject that idea would be your issue, not mine. I also posted a reply so that y'all would know I was reading the article.

Now, if you want to make some big 'thang' about my sarcastic rejection of one line of the article you can.

Only you can get yourself into a circle jerk. I was making a point that almost nobody who is political that I know are likely to be undecided ever, even in May. Whether you want to reject that idea would be your issue, not mine. I also posted a reply so that y'all would know I was reading the article.

Now, if you want to make some big 'thang' about my sarcastic rejection of one line of the article you can.

Who gives a shit? Nothing you have said on this thread has anything to do with the article posted. If you don't want to comment on the article, why are you posting on the thread?

Who gives a shit? Nothing you have said on this thread has anything to do with the article posted. If you don't want to comment on the article, why are you posting on the thread?
Because I like to point out that I breathe, since it seems to bother you so much lately. It wouldn't matter what I posted in this thread your reaction would be the same.

what tofu problem did he resolve?

Oh, well, the tofu in my stir frys, even though I always use the extra firm kind, comes a bit on the mushy side. So he posted this recipe for tofu stirfry, along with a big discussion on exactly that problem. And he said he fries it in sesame oil before stirfrying it. Which I'm sure is good, but I don't really want to start frying tofu. But in the comments section, someone mentioned that an alternative is to dip the little tofu squares in either soy sauce or Braggs amino acids (which I always have in the frig), and then roll them in a garlic powder and ginger powder mix, and then bake them. And then you stir fry them with your veggies.

You would be wrong.

from the article:
Worse, many of those who claim to be undecided are not. Some don't want to admit their preference. In their paper, "Swing Voters? Hah!" political scientists Adam Clymer and Ken Winneg amassed substantial data suggesting that very few undecided voters are truly indecisive. Examining the 2004 election, Clymer and Winneg found that even the most hard-core of undecided voters were fairly predictable.

Oh, well, the tofu in my stir frys, even though I always use the extra firm kind, comes a bit on the mushy side. So he posted this recipe for tofu stirfry, along with a big discussion on exactly that problem. And he said he fries it in sesame oil before stirfrying it. Which I'm sure is good, but I don't really want to start frying tofu. But in the comments section, someone mentioned that an alternative is to dip the little tofu squares in either soy sauce or Braggs amino acids (which I always have in the frig), and then roll them in a garlic powder and ginger powder mix, and then bake them. And then you stir fry them with your veggies.

Hmmm......that's a problem I will never have.

Tofu Yech.....

Agree uscitizen. Kind of like guacomole to me. My taste has changed over the years so I will try things that I normally don't like to see if I like them now. I tried guacomole the other day....still don't like it. Tried tofu a couple of weeks ago for the hundredth time (well, maybe not 100) and still don't like it. Yech! yet again.

And why shouldn't they?

A Republican will always eventually fall back to his friends, no matter what personal views he pretended to present in his campaign. The only one in mdoern history who didn't govern in that fashion was Eisenhower, who was far more of an independent that a Republican.

And why shouldn't they?

A Republican will always eventually fall back to his friends, no matter what personal views he pretended to present in his campaign. The only one in mdoern history who didn't govern in that fashion was Eisenhower, who was far more of an independent that a Republican.
Eisenhower was one of the last real republicans to hold that office.

Back