Swing Voters

Note to Damo - Undecideds are not the type of people who would chat here at JPP. They tend to ignore most politicking until the summer before an election, if not all the way up the the conventions and/or debates. That is why they are so easily swayed by debates and speeches, dumb rhetoric, and so forth. But they do represent the deciding factor in every election.

I'm still pretty undecided. I am still leaning Obama but some stuff he has said in the last few weeks has really put me off.

Note to Damo - Undecideds are not the type of people who would chat here at JPP. They tend to ignore most politicking until the summer before an election, if not all the way up the the conventions and/or debates. That is why they are so easily swayed by debates and speeches, dumb rhetoric, and so forth. But they do represent the deciding factor in every election.
Yup. I was just making a knee-jerk post, somebody made it into a production.

Of course the people here aren't "undecideds"... We are an extremely weird lot. The article said "most of us are undecided"... I was using generalization of "us" and making it about the board. Nothing huge.

I agree with the article obviously, most people who say they are "undecided" really aren't anyway.

Well guys, the point Klein is making is not that undecideds don't exist - he knows they do. Rather, he is making the point that they're the most "contemptable" citizens in our society.

His other point is that the convetional wisdom that they always, or often, decide elections is wrong, and that in fact, they rarely decide them.

Yup. I was just making a knee-jerk post, somebody made it into a production.

Of course the people here aren't "undecideds"... We are an extremely weird lot. The article said "most of us are undecided"... I was using generalization of "us" and making it about the board. Nothing huge.

I agree with the article obviously, most people who say they are "undecided" really aren't anyway.

You made an idiot's post, and "somebody" commented on it, that's all. Stop trying to turn it into a big mystery that the rest of us rubes are too unenlightened to discern, as we are all of your writings.

Well guys, the point Klein is making is not that undecideds don't exist - he knows they do. Rather, he is making the point that they're the most "contemptable" citizens in our society.

His other point is that the convetional wisdom that they always, or often, decide elections is wrong, and that in fact, they rarely decide them.
I think they are largely proud of their ability to "stay above the fray". I also agree that they really aren't as important as the media makes them out to be at this time. But contemptible? I'd say that those were the people who sit on their behind complaining but not voting.

Not true, independents make up about 40% of the electorate, and many of them are undecideds.

You made an idiot's post, and "somebody" commented on it, that's all. Stop trying to turn it into a big mystery that the rest of us rubes are too unenlightened to discern, as we are all of your writings.
Please, you went into how you were going to be drawn into some "circle jerk" based on a failed witticism. I pointed out that you give me too much importance in your life.

Turnout in swing states is statistically more important than appealing to "swing voters" that is true.

that is what he is saying. That, along with the fundamentals at the time of the election. If that is true, then the election is already over.

I think it might be, but then, I want it to be true. I have really been annoyed and aggravated by the great "undecided" since the 2000 election, the first time I remember seeing those focus groups. God, they even look dumb. I think it would be great if they are important only in their own minds, and in the minds of the media.

Please, you went into how you were going to be drawn into some "circle jerk" based on a failed witticism. I pointed out that you give me too much importance in your life.

Yeah, you are very important in my life Damo. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you.

Not true, independents make up about 40% of the electorate, and many of them are undecideds.
Not really, most of them in CO are simply people of either of the parties that don't like getting spammed with requests for money every year.

that is what he is saying. That, along with the fundamentals at the time of the election. If that is true, then the election is already over.

I think it might be, but then, I want it to be true. I have really been annoyed and aggravated by the great "undecided" since the 2000 election, the first time I remember seeing those focus groups. God, they even look dumb. I think it would be great if they are important only in their own minds, and in the minds of the media.

Well most of them probably are stupid and are voting based on things like hair color and attractiveness. But some of them like me are genuinely still undecided despite knowing their positions. I've watched this campaign mostly to see how the candidates talk and what sort of rhetoric they use. It's possible that I could walk into the voting booth not knowing who I'm voting for.

Ordinarily this would never happen for me, but with the Libertarians running a blockhead and the mainstream candidates not quite as bad as usual I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Back