Tancredo to Retire From House at End of Next Term

Yeah - just show them the figures for how much that is costing the state, and how much better your programs obviously work for how much cheaper, and they'll balk.

Alabamians are a little tougher on drugs than I'm comfortable with, but there are ways to work around that. They hate taxes more than pot and if the choice is drawn between a tax increase to pay for prisons or reducing nonviolent drug sentences and getting a tax cut, it won't be much of a mystery what they'll choose.

How are you going to cut taxes, though, Warren? Your state already has the lowest taxes in the nation. You'd have to absolutely kill something, and that wouldn't be popular at all.

One weird thing about Alabamians though, is that if something comes to a referendum which it usually does because of our Constitution (long story), they don't always bother to show up at the referendums in the same percentage as they do for elections.

In 1999, a single issue Democratic governor was elected promising to institute a lottery which would provide more money for education. Voters then rejected that plan when it came up for a vote. It's a weird state like that.

How are you going to cut taxes, though, Warren? Your state already has the lowest taxes in the nation. You'd have to absolutely kill something, and that wouldn't be popular at all.

You'd be surprised what they are comfortable throwing on the cutting block.

As long as education is held high and sacred and I make a lot a noise about a business friendly environment and easing regulations it's possible.

:P

I don't particularly like referendums. Most of the dumbest legislation in California was passed that way, and the only notable referendums were those in which they repealed that stupid stuff.

In Alabama, I guess, you guys' referendums don't take place with the generals, which means that some groups, like elderly gun nuts, will show up in far greater numbers than the average citizen to vote on them.

Back