Temporary Moderators

I'm Watermark

Diabetic
After seeing some of the hostile non-warzone feuding, I though it might be time to suggest some more moderation:

So what if we elect two temporary moderators each month(a right winger and a left winger) to help weed out some of the more vile content? This would prevent moderators from acting like "mini-gods"(to quote uscitizen) while still preventing threads from descending to flame wars.

After seeing some of the hostile non-warzone feuding, I though it might be time to suggest some more moderation:

So what if we elect two temporary moderators each month(a right winger and a left winger) to help weed out some of the more vile content? This would prevent moderators from acting like "mini-gods"(to quote uscitizen) while still preventing threads from descending to flame wars.

Stupid idea. The existing mods just need to do their jobs

thank you for the idea and your concern for the board. However, in addition to what I think is a rather unwieldily idea, vile content isn't against the rules here, so moderation of it isn't really necessary. Instead people should be encouraged to use the ignore feature and the threadban feature for purging from their eyes offending content.

thank you for the idea and your concern for the board. However, in addition to what I think is a rather unwieldily idea, vile content isn't against the rules here, so moderation of it isn't really necessary. Instead people should be encouraged to use the ignore feature and the threadban feature for purging from their eyes offending content.

you can't ignore mods and you can't thread ban them...i think that is his point

That's not his point at all. he's talking about more moderation on the board to police vulgar content.

you can thread ban us. We stay out of any thread we are banned from.

Yeah you can't ignore us, we might need to contact people regarding board issues. But that's not what he was talking about anyway.

You can thread ban mods. I do it all the time. They don't violate it. I threadban Sinn on GP.

Maybe if you didn't have a semi for Darla, Rune and whoever else offends you on any given day you would know that :)

That's not his point at all. he's talking about more moderation on the board to police vulgar content.

Yeah you can't ignore us, we might need to contact people regarding board issues. But that's not what he was talking about anyway.

sure grind...that is why your thread where you banned everyone, including billy, has billy posting in the thread, and you deleted mr. groan's post in that thread

Yeah, because that was clearly serious business.

my point was simply that mods cannot be thread banned. i understand they might voluntarily not post in a thread they are "banned" from, but technically, you cannot ban them.

i didn't mean to upset anyone with that observation.

sure grind...that is why your thread where you banned everyone, including billy, has billy posting in the thread, and you deleted mr. groan's post in that thread

billy made a joke....i told him to go away. mr groan is an alt of someone else that was already banned. it woudln't make much sense to be able to post in a thread you are banned from by creating an alt account.

my point was simply that mods cannot be thread banned. i understand they might voluntarily not post in a thread they are "banned" from, but technically, you cannot ban them.

i didn't mean to upset anyone with that observation.

Your point is irrelevant. We're not wearing our mod hats 24/7. We're posters here as well and the same rules apply to us as they do everyone else.

Actually it was(sort of). I'm just thinking it might be a better idea for users to take part in making improvements to the board, as opposed to having a small group do it for us.

Yes, and I'm not under the impression that they can't elect effective moderators. ;)

Granted, there are a few people here who could be decent mods. But which ones? And when you select 2 you'll have half a dozen threads whining about favoritism in that too. Plus if the temp mod does something, there will be finger pointing that it is personal. Then it becomes a big ordeal that the temp mod was biased, that the mods are biased for allowing it, and that Damo is either not in control or that he runs a forum to cater to that specific crowd.

Back