Ten Types of Republicans

I think rap is analogous to a one night stand. It can be fun in the short term, you know - if you are in your car hanging with friends or at a party, it's mindlessly entertaining. But at the end of the day there is very little substance or meaning in it and you'll quickly want to move on to the next thing.

Of course I'm generalizing.

Absolutely more thoughtful. Their lines now are as much existential expressions of the hopelessness of their situation as they are rhymes. I love it. Grind doesn't relate to the situations they are describing (Cruising down I-66 with a pound in the trunk and police on your ass) so it doesn't seem to have any meaning to him. But some rappers put forward very moving and poetic expressions of the drug life.

It depends on what you mean by musical, but rappers today are paying increasing attention to beats and the sound of their tracks than in years past.

"Dear Lord you took so many of my people, I'm just wondering why you haven't taken my life."

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFQdXFfnb0"]YouTube - The Game ft. Lil Wayne - My Life[/nomedia]

do you really want watermark coming into this thread to have a lyrical sparring contest with you? you are treading on dangerous ground.

I'm just sayin there is some heavy shit in rap. It's not all about fucking bitches and having money (though there is absolutely that too).

The good ones have something deeper. They talk about the hard choices they had to make to get to where they are, their personal stories, and the futility of the criminal justice system.

Akon on police:

I'm sittin' on my porch watchin' the law
As they ride past in their patrol cars
So tell me why I feel like the enemy
They're supposed to be here protectin' me
I mighta went too far
Helpin' the contribute to makin' their job hard
Servin' fiends like these people ain't no enemy
I can't believe I'm out here killin' my community
If you knew how far I came
From where I am and where I used to be
Don't want it
You can tell by the look of me
This gangsta life ain't no longer in me

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYbbNvRG0w"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

I posted that Puff Daddy song because the first thing in ib1's post was 'Mr. Money Bags' which made me think of 'All About The Benjamins'

I knew why you posted it cawacko.

Actually made me think of another rap track called Mr. Moneybags.

Do you like the direction rap is going, or are you more of a 90s guy since it was all West Coast back then?

Being in the Dirty South, I love the increased attention we've gotten since the turn of the century.

I knew why you posted it cawacko.

Actually made me think of another rap track called Mr. Moneybags.

Do you like the direction rap is going, or are you more of a 90s guy since it was all West Coast back then?

Being in the Dirty South, I love the increased attention we've gotten since the turn of the century.

I'm 36 so I loved some of that rap from the 80's and 1988 in particular which has been called the best year in rap or something to that extent. And I really like some of the early '90's like Ice Cubes first couple of solo albums and Dr. Dre's the Chronic.

So I'm always been a rap fan but to me there has never been a time like the late '80's. I'm sure a big part of course is that I was young and always seem to look back at points in my youth more fondly.

Back