Texas Power Grid Deregulation Cost Texans $28 Billion Over Two Decades

Cinnabar

Verified User
Republican Texas lawmakers often tout their state leadership’s contempt and recalcitrance toward the federal government as a point of pride. But a new analysis by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) has found that the deregulation and monopolization of the Texas energy market cost Texas residents $28 billion more than they would have paid under a traditional utility.

https://truthout.org/articles/texas-power-grid-deregulation-cost-texans-28-billion-over-two-decades/

But...FREEDOM...FREE MARKETS...CAPITALISM...SELF-REGULATION

Texas Free-markets are starting to get too expensive. Our electricity rates are the highest in the Nation!

And ever since Texas did away with The Texas State Board of Governors, TEXAS Auto and Home Insurance prices are the highest in the nation, and have been ever since.

A Texas State 4 year degree's sticker price is now over 95K and is rising in tuition costs at an amazing 4.1% every year.

TEXAS IS GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IT NEEDS TO BE!

TIME FOR THE DEMOCRATS TO GET BACK IN CHARGE HERE!

For-profit companies will cut corners and safety for higher short-term profits. History has shown that. They should not be allowed to control important public services. They should not control prisons either.

Texas Free-markets are starting to get too expensive. Our electricity rates are the highest in the Nation!

And ever since Texas did away with The Texas State Board of Governors, TEXAS Auto and Home Insurance prices are the highest in the nation, and have been ever since.

A Texas State 4 year degree's sticker price is now over 95K and is rising in tuition costs at an amazing 4.1% every year.

TEXAS IS GETTING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IT NEEDS TO BE!

TIME FOR THE DEMOCRATS TO GET BACK IN CHARGE HERE!

The Truth: The USA average is 10.54 cents/KHR, the Texas average is 8.6.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

What Texas does is lure people into thinking the variable rate is the best choice- because it has a low starting rate- THEN STICK IT TO THEM DURING THE EXTREME USE MONTHS.

Fixed rates are much higher than what was mentioned in this thread.

My brother lives in San Antonio and we just talked about this last night:

MONTHLY BILL
Rate
$ 8.75 Service Availability Charge
Energy Charge
$ 0.0691 Per KWH for all KWH
Peak Capacity Charge*
$ 0.0198 Per KWH for all KWH in excess of 600 KWH
*Peak Capacity Charge is applicable only during the summer billing period (June - September).
https://www.cpsenergy.com/content/dam/corporate/en/Documents/Rate_ResidentialElectric.pdf

My brother lives in San Antonio and we just talked about this last night:

https://www.energybot.com/texas/san...tonio commercial,electricity rates in the U.S.

Do your own research by going to the website that compares the rates for those who are about to sign up for Electricity Contracts in Texas, and you won't see any fixed rates cheaper than the American Average.

These rates you speak of are not guaranteed rates- Those are the variable starting rates you are referring to, and they are not guaranteed and can fluctuate as up to 1,000% higher as what is quoted from month-to-month- BUT YET NEVER LOWER!

Do your own research by going to the website that compares the rates for those who are about to sign up for Electricity Contracts in Texas, and you won't see any fixed rates cheaper than the American Average.

These rates you speak of are not guaranteed rates- Those are the variable starting rates you are referring to, and they are not guaranteed and can fluctuate as up to 1,000% higher as what is quoted from month-to-month- BUT YET NEVER LOWER!

I changed that post....I had gone to an inferior site. Look, a lot of places in Texas dont offer flex rates, I am not in favor of them being offered but if they are it is up to the buyer to know what they are buying. That is the up front deal with flex rates, you never know how you are going to turn out, if you sign up for one you are gambling. If you gamble and lose I dont have any sympathy for you.

As an aside: My brother tells me that CPS is baiming the grid operator for the power outages (my brother did a 7 hour and a 10 hour) even as their generation capacity has been shrinking as the population rises...they canceled a NUKE plant and took out I think he said two coal plants.

This is what happened in California back in the early 2000's. Exact same thing, only California went further. Producers there were not allowed to sell retail, only to wholesale middlemen. The result was the same too, only it went on for months, then years. It's how ENRON got filthy rich before tanking from internal corruption.

Hello Cinnabar,

Republican opposition to sensible government is merely a ruse to cover up to subservience to the powerful.

Because it wouldn't play well in the sound byte media to simply say they are covering for billionaires.

Back