The 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling G.M.

Whomever

uscitizen alternate login
The 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling G.M.

By DAVID E. SANGER
Published: May 31, 2009

WASHINGTON — It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American
Stephen Crowley/The New York Times

Brian Deese, who interrupted his law school career, is the little-seen force behind the revamping of the American auto industry.

But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/business/01deese.html?_r=1&partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

Lemme see if I got this straight. GM is on the verge of bankruptcy so asks the government for a bail out. The government tosses in billions, fires the CEO and instills government bureaucrats to run it. Three months later GM goes bankrupt.

Yet the union gets off pretty good. Why didn't the government just pay off the union directly?

If GM is not kept rolling the loss of jobs could prolong this depression.

If GM is not kept rolling the loss of jobs could prolong this depression.
I'm predicting a massive failure of the Obama Administration: unemployment and inflation both much worse than Jiminy Carter. This bodes well indeed for the rise of conservatism in American politics for decades.

I'm predicting a massive failure of the Obama Administration: unemployment and inflation both much worse than Jiminy Carter. This bodes well indeed for the rise of conservatism in American politics for decades.

Perhaps the Americam public is stupid enough to forget whose policies caused this mess.

I hope not.

When does it finally become the responsibility of the brilliant and the enlightened, the Party in complete charge? :)

I asked Republicans that question for 6 years while repubs had complete control.
The Iraq war started in that window but now it is somehow Pelosi's fault?

I asked Republicans that question for 6 years while repubs had complete control.
The Iraq war started in that window but now it is somehow Pelosi's fault?
I wasn't aware that they had complete control, claimed intellectual mastery or had the economy in a tailspin. Nice dodge of my question though. :)

When does it finally become the responsibility of the brilliant and the enlightened, the Party in complete charge? :)

Are you making the absurd claim that the economic failings and mess we are in have come about since january of this year?

This is about the success or failure of an entire nation. The time for partisan politics as usual is gone. If this folds us up there won't be a later.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Choose wisely.

Are you making the absurd claim that the economic failings and mess we are in have come about since january of this year?

This is about the success or failure of an entire nation. The time for partisan politics as usual is gone. If this folds us up there won't be a later.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Choose wisely.
The history of the American economic system is fairly simple- when the government messes with it, we get screwed. And the Democrats are clearly the ones doing the messing. The time to point this out is now.

The history of the American economic system is fairly simple- when the government messes with it, we get screwed. And the Democrats are clearly the ones doing the messing. The time to point this out is now.

This economic nightmare started under George W. Bush. Obama's huge deficits are not helping but you cannot claim this is Obama's mess unless you ignore most of the facts.

Looking at the historical aspect of the economy is great. But our current economy is based on technologies and global influences that have not existed in most of our history. The credit issues alone make this different from anything more than 30 years ago.

Why didn't Bush fix the economic problem before he left office?
And don't say it was not going on then. Remember the stimulus checks?

Why didn't Bush fix the economic problem before he left office?
And don't say it was not going on then. Remember the stimulus checks?

the stimulus checks were sent in the hopes that people would buy shit they didn't need. when people got theirs, they did the intelligent thing and either saved it or paid off some debt. congress wouldn't make that mistake again.

If they wanted people to spend it on plasma tv's, they should have just bought a hundred million of them and shipped them to the tax payers.

Back