The bigot in your brain

I have my own bigotry. For instance, if you voted for Bush I assume you're stupid. If you still support him despite everything that's unfolded you must be retarded.

Thats kinda what this is about Tia.

How easy it is to change any unwanted bias your brain retains.

Descrimination used to be a good word.

One was said to have discriminating taste if they had refined taste.

The brain can easily be retrained by those who wish to rid themselves of prejudice.

The study is just too cool and a great read.

It seems to me that by and large, people who are bigoted against other groups of people have had little or no contact with individuals from those groups, allowing stereotypic ideation to fester and grow. The more contact a person has with people from other backgrounds, the more likely it is that preconceived differences will be discarded as inaccurate and wrong.

If only we could open ourselves to all the things we have in common, those outweigh by far, in both number and importance, whatever differences there might be.

It seems to me that by and large, people who are bigoted against other groups of people have had little or no contact with individuals from those groups, allowing stereotypic ideation to fester and grow. The more contact a person has with people from other backgrounds, the more likely it is that preconceived differences will be discarded as inaccurate and wrong.

If only we could open ourselves to all the things we have in common, those outweigh by far, in both number and importance, whatever differences there might be.

I think you are correct. I grew up and still live in an area which is largly white in population, unless you are in one of the larger cities.
Most around here are pretty rascist, even though they have had very little contact with those of other races. I grew up that way and then spent many years living in various places and working with people of all types.
I have very little racial prejudice left. Assholes come in all colors and so do good people.

I remember him first hand and I did not harbor for him the hate I have for his son. The fucker has just ruined so many things in America. I defended Bush 41 for not going into Iraq.

Thats kinda what this is about Tia.

How easy it is to change any unwanted bias your brain retains.

Descrimination used to be a good word.

One was said to have discriminating taste if they had refined taste.

The brain can easily be retrained by those who wish to rid themselves of prejudice.

The study is just too cool and a great read.

Definitely a good read. I think their point of perception combined with surroundings is a good one.

Walking through a run down neighborhood is going to tend to heighten biases, whereas the same reaction may not be as prevalent in a well maintained neighborhood.

In the end, it all comes back around to education. The more we know about different cultures/ethnicities, the more we are likely to mitigate unconscious prejudices.

But of course our political leaders are playing on these deep prejudices and linkages to manipulate us.

Politics is much more of a perception type of mind game now than it used to be.
Read some of the articles linked intp the main article.

That is very true. It goes for all people no matter what side of the divide they are on. If we all try to see each other as not inherently this or that then we will get there and in the process not pass the stupidity on.

So the point is we all bare some prejudice of some kind and that not all prejudging is bad. We can change what we do harbor as long as we work at it.

But of course our political leaders are playing on these deep prejudices and linkages to manipulate us.

Politics is much more of a perception type of mind game now than it used to be.
Read some of the articles linked intp the main article.

Agreed. The fear mongering and playing to the predjudices by politicians does seem far more prevalent than in the past. In todays political environment we cannot even get through a primary without seeing it. Which is quite sad. I do hope that Obama and McCain hold to their word and work to make this a cleaner race. But somehow I think the 527's are going to come out especially nasty this go around.

Also agree with you on the perception front.

That is very true. It goes for all people no matter what side of the divide they are on. If we all try to see each other as not inherently this or that then we will get there and in the process not pass the stupidity on.

So the point is we all bare some prejudice of some kind and that not all prejudging is bad. We can change what we do harbor as long as we work at it.

Agreed. We all bare the responsibility to try our best to keep an open mind and to continue to educate ourselves.

actually its been my experience with republicans that solidified my prejudiced attitude toward them.

So now with this study in light we will be understandably being on top of pointing out when anyone plays on these subtle issue in their campaigning.

This study pretty much confirms how I had always seen prejudice. It also confirms how those who are unaware of these reactions in the subconcious can be played by images and slight wording.

It confirms pretty much observations of those who have tried in the black community to get people to realize the subtle ways people show their prejudice. I have always hated the phrase "Politically incorrect" being used to twart the attempts to help people change these automatic perceptions. It turns out words and subtle action do matter folks.

So I sugest we all hjoin together to rid our minds of the silly habits and those that dont join us may have to realize they want to remain prejudice if they dont join and help.

I already knew people who went to UCLA suck. Then I went to school in the same city and sure enough, they suck.

I already knew people who went to UCLA suck. Then I went to school in the same city and sure enough, they suck.

True, those UCLA people suck... right along with their USC brothers and sisters. Friggin LA goofballs one and all. Really no discernable difference between a UCLA grad and one from USC. Both think they are special. Neither are.

Back