The Choice

No forcing would be necessary if the correct information was prominently displayed.

While my post clearly shows regulation was missing there are folks who believe the financial sector is overly regulated. Assuming they believe such to be true it's natural for them to draw erroneous conclusions.

When Allan Greenspan, the epitome of laissez-faire capitalism, tells Congress he got it wrong what more needs to be said?

Because they missed on an area does not mean there cannot be too much regulation in another area. It's the idea that all regulation is good and more regulation is better is what we are fighting against. It gets down to the proverbial devil is in the details as for what is optimal.

Because they missed on an area does not mean there cannot be too much regulation in another area. It's the idea that all regulation is good and more regulation is better is what we are fighting against. It gets down to the proverbial devil is in the details as for what is optimal.

exactly.... the removal of Glass Steagall... bad

the addition of Sarbanes Oxley.... equally bad

Like everything, regulations can be good OR bad depending on how they are implemented.

Just curious about your last quote. If Reagan was so wrong in knowing what the people wanted from government how did he get re-elected in a 49 state landslide? It's not like he hid what he was about.

IMO Mondale was a weak candidate and picking Ferraro as his running mate, while ahead of the times, didn't help him.

Not to mention that reagan's acting ability reached its apex while he was president.

Dixie, your outreach abilities are truly amazing.

I have Ron Paul, and soon I'll have Rand Paul. It's slow, but worth it. What's funny is that people like you find reason to hate these two republicans. Lets talk about your bitterness about these two Republicans. Lets talk about why you hate someone that has never voted to raise your taxes, someone who wants to end the war on drugs, someone who wants to strickly go by the constitution. Something I know you hate. I base trhis on the comments you've made in the past.

What is the damn obsession you libertarians have with the Pauls? I swear, I've never seen anything like it... it's almost homoerotic or something! Ron and Rand are father and son, not the same person. They have different ideas, they aren't just alike. I have read and listened to a LOT of Ron Paul, and I actually supported him politically for a while, but he has also said some pretty nutty shit along the way, proving he isn't my "ideal" candidate. I can see why people like him, I think he says a lot of good things, and there's no doubt he would be a better president than what we currently have. That said, he's not the ONLY person suitable to being president... and his son isn't either.

Hell, the liberals have already painted Rand as some kind of racist intolerant who wants to do away with Civil Rights! That's how they roll! But the fact remains, neither of these people (or anyone else) has a chance of winning as a third-party candidate in a national election. At best... 2% of the vote! So what are you ever going to change with 2% of the vote? The TEA party is getting more than 2% of the vote to routinely show up for their rallies!

Now, anybody who thinks that we can move this economy forward with just a few folks at the top doing well, hoping that it’s going to trickle down to working people who are running faster and faster just to keep up, you’ll never see it.

If that’s what you’re waiting for, you should stop waiting, because it’s never happened in our history.

We didn’t come this far by letting the special interests run wild.

We didn’t do it just by gambling and chasing paper profits on Wall Street.

We did it by investing in the people who built this country from the ground up, the workers, middle-class families, small business owners, and over the last two years, that’s meant taking on some powerful interests, some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time, and they’re not always happy with me.

They talk about me like a dog.

You know, that’s why we passed financial reform to provide new accountability and tough oversight of Wall Street, stopping credit card companies from gouging you with hidden fees and unfair rate hikes.

Ending taxpayer bailouts of Wall Street once and for all.

They’re not happy with it, but it was the right thing to do.

That’s why we eliminated tens of billions of dollars in wasteful taxpayer subsidies, handouts to the big banks that were providing student loans.

We took that money, tens of billions of dollars, and we’re going to go to make sure that your kids and your grandkids can get student loans and grants at a cheap rate and afford a college education.

You know, that’s why we passed financial reform to provide new accountability and tough oversight of Wall Street, stopping credit card companies from gouging you with hidden fees and unfair rate hikes.

Ending taxpayer bailouts of Wall Street once and for all.

That’s why we eliminated tens of billions of dollars in wasteful taxpayer subsidies, handouts to the big banks that were providing student loans.

We took that money, tens of billions of dollars, and we’re going to go to make sure that your kids and your grandkids can get student loans and grants at a cheap rate and afford a college education.

You lie!

That’s why we passed health insurance reform to make coverage affordable, reform that ends the indignity of insurance companies jacking up your premiums at will, denying you coverage just because you get sick; reform that gives you control, gives you the ability if your child is sick to be able to get an affordable insurance plan, making sure they can’t drop it.

That’s why we passed health insurance reform to make coverage affordable, reform that ends the indignity of insurance companies jacking up your premiums at will, denying you coverage just because you get sick; reform that gives you control, gives you the ability if your child is sick to be able to get an affordable insurance plan, making sure they can’t drop it.

You lie!

That’s why we’ve given tax cuts, except we give them to folks who need them.

We’ve given them to small business owners.

We’ve given them to clean energy companies.

We’ve cut taxes for 95 percent of working Americans, just like I promised you during the campaign.

You all got a tax cut, and instead of giving tax breaks to companies that are shipping jobs overseas, we’re cutting taxes to companies that are putting our people to work right here in the United States of America.

That’s why we’ve given tax cuts, except we give them to folks who need them.

We’ve given them to small business owners.

We’ve given them to clean energy companies.

We’ve cut taxes for 95 percent of working Americans, just like I promised you during the campaign.

You all got a tax cut, and instead of giving tax breaks to companies that are shipping jobs overseas, we’re cutting taxes to companies that are putting our people to work right here in the United States of America.

You lie!

We’re talking investments in tomorrow that are creating hundreds of thousands of private sector jobs right now.

Because of these investments, and the tens of thousands of projects they spurred all across the country, the battered construction sector actually grew last month for the first time in a very long time.

It doesn’t do anybody any good when so many hardworking Americans have been idled for months, even years, at a time when there is so much of America that needs rebuilding.

So, that’s why I am announcing a new plan for rebuilding and modernizing America’s roads and rails and runways for the long term.

I want America to have the best infrastructure in the world.

We used to have the best infrastructure in the world.

We can have it again.

We are going to make it happen.

Over the next six years, we are going to rebuild 150,000 miles of our roads.

That’s enough to circle the world six times.

That’s a lot of road.

We’re going to lay and maintain 4,000 miles of our railways, enough to stretch coast to coast.

We’re going to restore 150 miles of runways, and we’re going to advance a next-generation air-traffic control system to reduce travel time and delays for American travelers.

I think everybody can agree on that.

Anybody want more delays in airports?

That’s not a Republican or a Democratic idea.

We all want to get to where we need to go.

I mean, I’ve got Air Force One now, it’s nice, but I still remember what it was like.

This is a plan that will be fully paid for.

It will not add to the deficit over time.

we’re going to work with Congress to see to that.

We want to set up an infrastructure bank to leverage federal dollars and focus on the smartest investments.

We’re going to continue our strategy to build a national high-speed rail network that reduces congestion and travel times and reduces harmful emissions.

We want to cut waste and bureaucracy and consolidate and collapse more than 100 different programs that too often duplicate each other.

So, we want to change the way Washington spends your tax dollars.

We want to reform a haphazard, patchwork way of doing business.

We want to focus on less wasteful approaches than we’ve got right now.

We want competition and innovation that gives us the best bang for the buck.

Back