the establishment agenda

While it's true that you can't run a campaign without massive amounts of funding, STY does have a point. If you want to become a career politician, you need to cater to your financial base. But, if you have any belief in those ideals you tout, your actions in office would run contrary to the interests of that base.

If your actions run contrary, they'll just find someone else to replace you in the next election. Then they'll turn all of that SuperPAC and private money over to your replacement. That's why the Citizen's United ruling was a terrible decision.

And make no mistake, neither party is faultless in this. I still say the solution is publicly funded elections with intense oversight to make sure that no other monies get into the mix. Once America has control of it's government again instead of monied interest that has no loyalty to the country, then our Representation can go about doing what is in the best interest of the Nation.

Ratigan has it right. There was a time when business, banking and the workforce had aligned interests and greed was focused on the long haul. To create goods and services of value with real competition to allow the cream to rise to the top. That's free market Capitalism. That concept has been turned on it's ear for various reasons that are too in depth to explain on a message board. I'm telling you, read the book....it'll open your eyes to a lot of things and allow you to see through the propaganda that both sides spew.

If your actions run contrary, they'll just find someone else to replace you in the next election. Then they'll turn all of that SuperPAC and private money over to your replacement. That's why the Citizen's United ruling was a terrible decision.

And make no mistake, neither party is faultless in this. I still say the solution is publicly funded elections with intense oversight to make sure that no other monies get into the mix. Once America has control of it's government again instead of monied interest that has no loyalty to the country, then our Representation can go about doing what is in the best interest of the Nation.

Ratigan has it right. There was a time when business, banking and the workforce had aligned interests and greed was focused on the long haul. To create goods and services of value with real competition to allow the cream to rise to the top. That's free market Capitalism. That concept has been turned on it's ear for various reasons that are too in depth to explain on a message board. I'm telling you, read the book....it'll open your eyes to a lot of things and allow you to see through the propaganda that both sides spew.

Yes, I'll likely read the book. And I largely agree with you, at least on the critique and main ideas. What we disagree on is the role and characterization of government. To me, someone who governs, someone given the power to make decisions for the demos, ought to bear some responsibility for their failures. As STY said, politicians aren't puppets - they have free will. Which is the irony of it all. If a politician has the audacity to stand up for the democratic rights of the people - they often shortly loose that ability.

Yes, I'll likely read the book. And I largely agree with you, at least on the critique and main ideas. What we disagree on is the role and characterization of government. To me, someone who governs, someone given the power to make decisions for the demos, ought to bear some responsibility for their failures. As STY said, politicians aren't puppets - they have free will. Which is the irony of it all. If a politician has the audacity to stand up for the democratic rights of the people - they often shortly loose that ability.

And why is that?

Why is what? I addressed several things in that post.

BTW, I never said that they(politicians) get a pass, nor were victims in this. Just that they, for the reasons I stated before, are slightly less culpable...they have to play the money game to get into office. Big business and banking etc...on the other hand know that they are ruining the country and pay smooth talking lobbyists to hide the details as much as possible from both those politicians and the general public.

But that doesn't make the politicians blame free...they should be held accountable too.

Back