The First Amendment... Does not apply to the government?

technically. now if we could find a way to void regulatory authority that congress threw at the executive, we'd be getting better.

I agree, we just need to elect a congress with some balls. I think we might have just done that... We will see.

I agree, we just need to elect a congress with some balls. I think we might have just done that... We will see.

dreaming. These hacks that have been in office for several sessions have no intention of changing the statu quo of how THEY get to do things, just how BUSH got to do things.

dreaming. These hacks that have been in office for several sessions have no intention of changing the statu quo of how THEY get to do things, just how BUSH got to do things.

Maybe, do you see the idiocy of Dixie's statements above?

You see, I know this is a bit complicated for someone like you, but when the Congress approperates money for "Public Schools" it is passing a law that if those public schools promoted a religien would be violative of the First Amendment. When "congress" passes a law to create a department of Education, if that Department of Education were to promote a religen, that law would be violative of the 1st Amendment.

To be fair they dont teach this in Alabama, but it is true. You see, Congress is not only prohibited from passing a law that says, "Islam is the national religen and all Americans are required to practice it." Congress is also prohibited from passing laws, no matter what they call the law, that in effect do promote a religen. Like funding for a school that promotes the establishment of a national religen.

Dixie?

Right, Congress is PART OF "The Government" and not "THE GOVERNMENT!"

So I am correct in saying, the 1st doesn't say what "THE GOVERNMENT" can do! It does say what a PART OF "The Government" is not to do, in this case, pass laws abridging free religion and speech. This is because free religion and speech are fundamentally endowed rights retained by man, not subject to Congressional oversight.

Let's recall what this argument began over. You argued there was no "freedom of speech" and the 1st merely applied to The Government. It doesn't apply to The Government. It applies to freedom of speech and religion and protects it from Congress, which is a part of the government. If the 1st merely applied to "the government" as you argued, then school prayer would be completely constitutional and couldn't be questioned, because a school is not "the government" and is not restricted by your interpretation of the 1st Amendment. In fact, any entity other than "the government" which wanted to force you to worship or deny you the right to speak, would be protected under the Constitutional interpretation you have assumed.

Dixie. This is in what debate is called a circular argument. It's poor logic. Sure congress is only one of 3 branches of government. It is not the totality of our government. Where your logic is flawed is that, constitutionally only congress is allowed to make laws. The executive branch is legally obligated to administer and enforce those laws and the judiciary in legally obligated to interpret those laws.

Therefore, if congress is prevented by the Constitution from establishing a religion, then the executive branch is therefore legally required to administer and enforce that no religion is legally established and the judiciary is legally required to interpret that the constitution restricts any law establishing a religion from being established.

You see, I know this is a bit complicated for someone like you, but when the Congress approperates money for "Public Schools" it is passing a law that if those public schools promoted a religien would be violative of the First Amendment. When "congress" passes a law to create a department of Education, if that Department of Education were to promote a religen, that law would be violative of the 1st Amendment.

To be fair they dont teach this in Alabama, but it is true. You see, Congress is not only prohibited from passing a law that says, "Islam is the national religen and all Americans are required to practice it." Congress is also prohibited from passing laws, no matter what they call the law, that in effect do promote a religen. Like funding for a school that promotes the establishment of a national religen.

Dixie, I know you are commenting in other threads. Are you avoiding this one? Why?

Dixie?

1. Yes, I am.
2a. Because you are on my Ignore User list.
2b. Because you are an idiot.
2c. Because there is nothing to argue.

Come on Dixie, you dont get off that easily.

You refuse to comment because you have been shown to be a fool, once again!

dude, can you honestly say that you've approved of every piece of legislation that every congress has considered or signed? I seriously fucking doubt it.

I repeat, they should have stopped at shall make no law, but I digress.

I forgot to realize that you need an authoritative body to tell you what you can and can't do because you're not smart enough to figure it out on your own.

And your a complete idiot who knows nothing about governance or the importance of the rule of law. How do you manage to tie your shoes in the morning? Does mommy help you? Wear penny loafers?

Dixie?

Ummm, they do teach it in Alabama. At least wher I went to school and where my kids went they did.

Selective memory is handy for adults that want things their own way. That way you can forget whatyou learned that does not support your side.

Dixie?

Dixie?

Dixie?

Back