The Good Ole South

Cancel7

Banned
I don't know if this has already been discussed here, I might have missed it. I thought it would be cool to give all of the republicans an opportunity to call me a "race baiter" and claim that this add is not racist and that only a pinhead would claim it was.

Now of course, given the history of the mythology of the "black rapist," we all know what this add is saying.

'Did you hear that Ford f'd a white woman"

'I sures did Billy Bob, and they way I hear it coulda been more than one. I is sure worried he is going to f my blonde daughter."

"That's a black guy for you. Give him the vote and he wants a white woman."

But, the denials are always fun to watch.

Tennessee ad ignites internal GOP squabbling
Corker calls for own party to pull spot some Republicans denounce as racist
By Alex Johnson
Reporter
MSNBC

Updated: 8:33 p.m. ET Oct 24, 2006
With their majority in the Senate potentially hanging in the balance, Republicans were bickering among themselves over an advertisement in the particularly nasty campaign in Tennessee that even some Republicans have denounced as racist.

The dispute pitted former Chattanooga Mayor Bob Corker, the GOP candidate for the seat held by Senate Republican leader Bill Frist, against his own party leadership Tuesday after it rebuffed his call to pull the ad, which lampoons Democratic Rep. Harold Ford Jr.’s reputation as a man about town.

In the ad, a young white actress playing the stereotype of a “dumb blonde” talks about meeting Ford, a 36-year-old bachelor who is black, “at the Playboy party.” At the end of the ad, she winks and says to the camera, “Harold — call me.”

The ad brought immediate criticism from the Ford campaign and the NAACP, whose Washington office called it “a powerful innuendo that plays to pre-existing prejudices about African-American men and white women.”

Ford told MSNBC-TV: “I know that they are a little desperate and doing the things that you do when you get desperate in a campaign.”

Corker himself called the ad “distasteful” Tuesday, telling MSNBC-TV, “I think it ought to come down.” Meanwhile, Bill Cohen, a former Republican senator from Maine, criticized it in an interview on CNN as “a very serious appeal to a racist sentiment.”

Mehlman: Ad’s fine, and it’s not our fault
But Ken Mehlman, chairman of the Republican National Committee, said Tuesday that he saw nothing wrong with the ad.

“After the comments by Mr. Corker and former Sen. Cohen, I looked at the ad, and I don’t agree with that characterization of it,” Mehlman told NBC’s Washington bureau chief, Tim Russert, in an interview as part of MSNBC-TV’s daylong Battleground America report.

“I think that there is nothing more repugnant in our society than people who try to divide Americans along racial lines, and I would denounce any ad that I thought did,” said Mehlman, who addressed the NAACP last year, apologizing for the Republican Party’s race-tinged “Southern strategy” during the 1970s and ’80s.

“I happen not to believe that ad does,” he said, adding that even if he wanted to pull the ad, he couldn’t.

Even though a woman’s voice discloses that “the Republican National Committee is responsible for the content of this advertising,” Mehlman said the RNC was not, in fact, responsible. He said the ad was produced by an independent group contracted by the RNC, with whom he is prohibited from communicating.

“The way that process works under the campaign reform laws is I write a check to an independent individual and that person’s responsible for spending money in certain states,” he said. Beyond that, he said, the RNC is out of the loop.

Ford dismisses GOP explanation
But Ford said Republican leaders were being disingenuous.

“I do know that if my opponent wanted this ad pulled down, he could get it pulled down,” Ford said. White House press secretary Tony Snow appeared to support Ford on that point, telling Chris Matthews, host of MSNBC’s “Hardball,” that “if he wants it to come off [the air], it’ll come off.”

But MSNBC’s chief Washington correspondent, Norah O’Donnell, reported that Republican strategists told her that they had no intention of pulling the ad and were looking forward to its running right up to Election Day in two weeks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15403071/ For Full Story.

Wow. I can't imagine such an ad even running here... It would be way beyond what anybody would be comfortable with...

hey...just ask Dixie...racism is DEAD in the south and has been since the very day after the civil rights laws were passed.

Hadn't you heard?

the south is totally colorblind now and has been for a generation. racism only exists in the north now......according to Dixie.

hey...just ask Dixie...racism is DEAD in the south and has been since the very day after the civil rights laws were passed.

Hadn't you heard?

the south is totally colorblind now and has been for a generation. racism only exists in the north now......according to Dixie.

Well I'm sure Dixie could explain for us, and in no more than 5,000 words, why this is not racism, and why it's all the Northern pinhead's fault anyway.

This is disgusting, what a bunch of Racist looney toons in the republican party in tennessee....

someday, god willing, their "karma" will come back to bite them.

:(

Im flabbergasted! I wouldnt call them looney... just plain dumb asses for thinking thay could get away with this..and in this day in age. In my opinion Harold Ford is one of the most promising young Democrats on the scene....

Im flabbergasted! I wouldnt call them looney... just plain dumb asses for thinking thay could get away with this..and in this day in age. In my opinion Harold Ford is one of the most promising young Democrats on the scene....

It's tennessee klaatu.

There's still a segment of the voting population that will get inflamed about a black man chasing white women. Whether they publically admit it, or not.

I have not seen the ad, but I am shocked the Republicans are so dumb! I dont know why, I am shocked by them about once a week.. and they keep winning!

Wow. I can't imagine such an ad even running here... It would be way beyond what anybody would be comfortable with...

Nobody's comfortable with it here in Mississippi either. No one's comfortable with it pretty much anywhere. It's a distasteful, mudslinging ad, one that says nothing about what the Republican would do for the state... only what you could prevent from happening by voting for him. Whenever you're liked that little that you have to run negative ads, especially stupid ones like this, you're not worthy of higher office.

Oh, and one more thing,

Fuck you darla, you bigoted bitch. You're dragging this nation backward with your sexist, racist, regionalist talk and I hate you. The nation as a whole would be better off with your ignorant ass just fell off a cliff somewher.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure Dixie could explain for us, and in no more than 5,000 words, why this is not racism, and why it's all the Northern pinhead's fault anyway.

I saw the ad, and it didn't strike me as racist. Especially since it was true, Ford did attend the Playboy Super Bowl party, and was surrounded by beautiful buxom blonds. I heard a clip today, of him admitting he was there, that he liked football and he liked women. He is a single attractive man, why wouldn't he? I don't understand what is overtly racist about the ad, unless a racist mind sees something I don't, it was basically true.

For some reason, northerners seem to think the south is this big conglomeration of racist bigots and home boys, and we manage to avoid racial confrontation because we just keep it down home or something. I can't figure it out, I wish some of you northern people would explain it to me, because I have lived here all my life, and I don't see it.

Is that less than 5,000?

Many people in the South and elsewhere are still as repulsed by the idea of inter-racial marriage and sex, especially, as it has always been, if it is between a black man and a white woman as those who are still repulsed by the idea of homosexual love especially between two males. Don't forget Virginia was the last state to have their inter-racial marriage or miscegination laws overturned by the Supreme Court in Loving v. Virginia in 1967. This really isn't that long ago. At the same time all of these sexual images are really a continuation of a history that stretches back to slavery, and most certainly has deep roots in the southern white consciousness. That is the dual ideas that go hand-in-hand, and are a result of repressed white guilt and projection. The first idea is that the black woman as the property of the white man is as Karl Rove once said about Valerie Plame, "fair game." The mixed race population of the South is a result of this long held belief. The second idea which emerges from this rape of the black woman is the fear based on guilt and projection that the Black man who has always been seen in white consciousness as more virile than the white man, actively seeks like the white man the rape of the woman of the other race.

The South and the North to some extent, has struggled since the Emancipation Proclamation with the idea that Black people are free. The history of the South since 1865 is a history of that ideological struggle. From the white perspective, the civil rights struggle was as much about social equality as it was about legal freedom and equality. And the biggest struggle in the south and elsewhere in America has always been in the social sphere much more than the legal sphere. One has to look no further than the outrage caused by the Sidney Portier film "Look Whose Coming to Dinner." Or more recently Spike Lee's film "Jungle Fever" to realize these ideas still have cultural currency.

The history of the post-reconstuction era, what Rayford Logan called "the nadir" for the ruthless and extreme violence which characterized this period and which I think most would agree ends with the lynching of 14 year-old Emmitt Till in 1955, the same year that Charlie Parker and Walter White both died, for supposedly whistling at a white woman. This case of the senseless death of a youth from Chicago down south to visit relatives drew national attention and has never been solved. But its importance as both symbol and metaphor should never be discounted. What it represented in all its ignorant and dispicable violence was the southern mindset regarding inter-racial relationships between white women and black men. This mindset is still alive and well in the south, if driven underground, and it is this mindset that is the driving force behind this ad. The sexually promiscous white woman with the come hither smile saying "Harold, call me" is designed to strike the same cord that the white hand crushing the job rejection letter was designed to strike in an earlier ad run a few years ago in another Senate Campaign in the South, I think (and perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong--Dixie?) by Strom Thurmond.

In any event this ad is designed to strike a deep-seated racial cord and shows that the Republican southern strategy is still alive and well, even if dumb fucks like Tucker Carlson and others "just don't get it." Hey, even Bill O'Reilly gets the racial overtones of this ad. I sonder why Dixie our own O'Reilly clone doesn't get it????

Many people in the South and elsewhere are still as repulsed by the idea of inter-racial marriage and sex, especially, as it has always been, if it is between a black man and a white woman as those who are still repulsed by the idea of homosexual love especially between two males. Don't forget Virginia was the last state to have their inter-racial marriage or miscegination laws overturned by the Supreme Court in Loving v. Virginia in 1967. This really isn't that long ago. At the same time all of these sexual images are really a continuation of a history that stretches back to slavery, and most certainly has deep roots in the southern white consciousness. That is the dual ideas that go hand-in-hand, and are a result of repressed white guilt and projection. The first idea is that the black woman as the property of the white man is as Karl Rove once said about Valerie Plame, "fair game." The mixed race population of the South is a result of this long held belief. The second idea which emerges from this rape of the black woman is the fear based on guilt and projection that the Black man who has always been seen in white consciousness as more virile than the white man, actively seeks like the white man the rape of the woman of the other race.

The South and the North to some extent, has struggled since the Emancipation Proclamation with the idea that Black people are free. The history of the South since 1865 is a history of that ideological struggle. From the white perspective, the civil rights struggle was as much about social equality as it was about legal freedom and equality. And the biggest struggle in the south and elsewhere in America has always been in the social sphere much more than the legal sphere. One has to look no further than the outrage caused by the Sidney Portier film "Look Whose Coming to Dinner." Or more recently Spike Lee's film "Jungle Fever" to realize these ideas still have cultural currency.

The history of the post-reconstuction era, what Rayford Logan called "the nadir" for the ruthless and extreme violence which characterized this period and which I think most would agree ends with the lynching of 14 year-old Emmitt Till in 1955, the same year that Charlie Parker and Walter White both died, for supposedly whistling at a white woman. This case of the senseless death of a youth from Chicago down south to visit relatives drew national attention and has never been solved. But its importance as both symbol and metaphor should never be discounted. What it represented in all its ignorant and dispicable violence was the southern mindset regarding inter-racial relationships between white women and black men. This mindset is still alive and well in the south, if driven underground, and it is this mindset that is the driving force behind this ad. The sexually promiscous white woman with the come hither smile saying "Harold, call me" is designed to strike the same cord that the white hand crushing the job rejection letter was designed to strike in an earlier ad run a few years ago in another Senate Campaign in the South, I think (and perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong--Dixie?) by Strom Thurmond.

In any event this ad is designed to strike a deep-seated racial cord and shows that the Republican southern strategy is still alive and well, even if dumb fucks like Tucker Carlson and others "just don't get it." Hey, even Bill O'Reilly gets the racial overtones of this ad. I sonder why Dixie our own O'Reilly clone doesn't get it????

Well, I didn't think Dixie would get it. I knew he wouldn't think it was racist, for the simple reason that he is a racist. Anyone who can make the claim that just because you don't want to "do business with black people doesn't mean you're a racist' is a racist.

He might not know he's one, but I do.

Great post though. Dixie should have someone read it to him.

I knew he wouldn't think it was racist, for the simple reason that he is a racist. Anyone who can make the claim that just because you don't want to "do business with black people doesn't mean you're a racist' is a racist.

I think it wasn't racist, because it wasn't racist. I am not racist, nor did I make the statement you attribute to me. I've explained it already, and I am sorry you missed it, but that statement is not my personal sentiments, rather the opposite of them. I used the absurd example to illustrate that very point, and someone with no integrity or honesty, decided to make it their sig, and misrepresent what was said.

Bigots are people who think they have the right idea, and everyone else is wrong. I fully understand if you want to continue to think I am racist because of a misinterpreted quote or a response you disagree with, because that's how bigots are.

Back