The Good Ole South

Nope. But that is what I believe he was speaking of...

Many people don't know when and how the war started. Honestly it began when the South decided to become the Confederate States and selected a President.

"most people" aren't as well read and intelligent as you or me...so I was curious why you asked such a dumbass question about starving to death to begin with!

"most people" aren't as well read and intelligent as you or me...

Congratulations, you are half right!

...and I belive that should be, 'you or I' ...Mr. Intelligent.

"You aren't as smart as me."

NOT..."you aren't as smart as I."

see?

"as" and "like"...used in similes....

"YOU aren't as well read as me".... not "you aren't as well read as I"

or the book title
"Black like ME"....not "Black like I"

do you - a barely literate slanderous redneck racist pig from birmingham alabama, really want to get into an english grammar discussion with me?

you should stick with your false accusations of my pedophilia.... they are just as wrong, but much less simple to defend against. Grammar is pretty cut and dried, so to speak.

damo, my friend, I think if you look back on our association, you will agree that I rarely stick my nose into discussions about which I feel at all disadvantaged. That means, that I don't participate in a breadth of topics....but things military and things historical having to do with the military are areas that I do not shy away from. If you consider for a moment my education and my background, the reason for that will become clear. ;)

"You aren't as smart as me."

NOT..."you aren't as smart as I."

see?

"as" and "like"...used in similes....

"YOU aren't as well read as me".... not "you aren't as well read as I"

or the book title
"Black like ME"....not "Black like I"

do you - a barely literate slanderous redneck racist pig from birmingham alabama, really want to get into an english grammar discussion with me?

you should stick with your false accusations of my pedophilia.... they are just as wrong, but much less simple to defend against. Grammar is pretty cut and dried, so to speak.

"most people" aren't as well read and intelligent as you or me

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English says the following: "As" is both a subordinating conjunction, and a preposition. As a subject of the clause introduced by the conjunction "as", the pronoun must be nominative, and as object of the preposition "as", the following pronoun must be in the objective case. Since the following verb "am" is often dropped or 'understoood,' "as intelligent as you or me am" ..."as intelligent as you or I am"

Plus it's in the AP Stylebook, 'you' is almost always followed by 'I', not 'me'.

so....you admit that as "intelligent as you or me" is just as correct as the alternative?

That's what I thought.

One wonders why you made such a fuss.

The abolition of slavery was the first step toward a 100+ year journey toward racial equality for the African-Americans. The first civil right granted to blacks was the absolute right to own oneself, to make ones own decisions about ones own life.

I am sorry you cant get this simple analogy... but while the issue of R. v. W. was Abortion, much like the issue of the civil war was about slavery... the deeper issue in R v. W. is about when a person gets to make her own medical decisions and when the government has a right to step in, much like the deeper issue in the civil war was about states getting to determine there own rules and laws.

The abolition of slavery was the first step toward a 100+ year journey toward racial equality for the African-Americans.

I agree, but you can't view history and the collective views of America in 1864, from the perspective of the African-Americans alone. You are following a time-line, and attempting to attribute today's reality, with yesterdays sentiments, and it doesn't work that way. Abolition was not considered to be the "first step" to equality, by anyone other than, maybe African-Americans... I'm not so sure they even considered it a first step to equality at that time. In 1864, the notion that blacks and whites were equal, was practically non-existent. I am sorry to say that, but it's the truth of the matter, and it was this way across America, not just in the South.

In fact, some of the bloodiest and deadliest racial lynchings and such, occurred across Wisconsin and Illinois in the early 1900's. Racism and slavery are two completely different issues, and to pretend that the Civil War is justification for the prejudiced stereotype of the South as racist, is just patently unfair.

"most people" aren't as well read and intelligent as you or me...

Congratulations, you are half right!

...and I belive that should be, 'you or I' ...Mr. Intelligent.

Since you are so damn smart Dixie, why can't you answer my question and tell me what the term the "solid South" referred to?

It's simple and should be a no-brainer for someone whose head is as big as yours. What does the term "solid South" mean? And when did the term stop being used to refer to the South and why????

Since you are so damn smart Dixie, why can't you answer my question and tell me what the term the "solid South" referred to?

It's simple and should be a no-brainer for someone whose head is as big as yours. What does the term "solid South" mean? And when did the term stop being used to refer to the South and why????
Is this trivia question open to all comers or must it be only Dixie who answers?

The abolition of slavery was the first step toward a 100+ year journey toward racial equality for the African-Americans.

I agree, but you can't view history and the collective views of America in 1864, from the perspective of the African-Americans alone. You are following a time-line, and attempting to attribute today's reality, with yesterdays sentiments, and it doesn't work that way. Abolition was not considered to be the "first step" to equality, by anyone other than, maybe African-Americans... I'm not so sure they even considered it a first step to equality at that time. In 1864, the notion that blacks and whites were equal, was practically non-existent. I am sorry to say that, but it's the truth of the matter, and it was this way across America, not just in the South.

In fact, some of the bloodiest and deadliest racial lynchings and such, occurred across Wisconsin and Illinois in the early 1900's. Racism and slavery are two completely different issues, and to pretend that the Civil War is justification for the prejudiced stereotype of the South as racist, is just patently unfair.

The Quakers and the Abolitionists would likely disagree with you...

I don't know, I think it was before my time. Why don't you explain it to us?

So was, I think, the civil war yet you can go on for days about that. So why don't you answer the question and stop playing coy it really doesn't become someone who is as smart as you claim to be every few days. You seem to pretend to know all about the South while those of us from the North, according to your world view, know absolutely nothing about the South, so you should be the one to answer the questions. So here they are again. What did the term the "solid South" refer to? And how did the primary system work during the period before the 1968 voting rights law was signed by President Lynden Johnson?? What was the "solid South" and why did people call it that??? In other words what purpose did the primary system serve in the South during this period. Hard to believe that someone who knows so much about happenings nearly 150 years ago knows so little about what happened less than 40 years ago!!!! I guess you aren't nearly as smart as you say you are if you don't know what the term the "solid South" refers to. Maybe you should ask some of your tobacco spittin' friends; maybe one of them knows.

Is this trivia question open to all comers or must it be only Dixie who answers?

No it is not, since Dixie denied that the South was once except for Black voters almost completely Democatic and morphed into a red state Republican South in recent years and demanded that I name all the Democrats who changed party, as if this didn't happen, he should be the one to answer the question.

I posted a link that would give Dixie the answer...

He doesn't want the answer because it will show him to be a liar. And that is the main reason why I want him to answer this question. For someone who is as smart as he keeps telling us he is, this should be a no-brainer. Either that or he isn't as smart as he says he is. In either case, it appears that he has backed himself into a corner.

No it is not, since Dixie denied that the South was once except for Black voters almost completely Democatic and morphed into a red state Republican South in recent years and demanded that I name all the Democrats who changed party, as if this didn't happen, he should be the one to answer the question.

I never denied anything. It appears you are the one backing me in a corner. I will again say, if you have evidence that there was a mass exodus of democrats to the republican party following Civil Rights, to please give us some proof of that. I only know about George Wallace's amazing transformation from racist segregationist to beloved governor, and he was a democrat until the day he died.

I think, if you are going to try and make the argument that the "morphing" of the South has to do with racial discrimination or racist views, you should at least be required to present some evidence of this. It's a serious charge to make, without any justifiable reason. As I see it, the South has "morphed" over to the Republican party because of conservativism and morality issues, we do have that Bible Belt thing... So, your argument is without merit or basis, unless you can make a case.

I don't know much about the "Solid South" ...as I said, it was before my time. Besides, I don't profess to know everything about the history of Democrat politics.

I never denied anything. It appears you are the one backing me in a corner. I will again say, if you have evidence that there was a mass exodus of democrats to the republican party following Civil Rights, to please give us some proof of that. I only know about George Wallace's amazing transformation from racist segregationist to beloved governor, and he was a democrat until the day he died.

I think, if you are going to try and make the argument that the "morphing" of the South has to do with racial discrimination or racist views, you should at least be required to present some evidence of this. It's a serious charge to make, without any justifiable reason. As I see it, the South has "morphed" over to the Republican party because of conservativism and morality issues, we do have that Bible Belt thing... So, your argument is without merit or basis, unless you can make a case.

I don't know much about the "Solid South" ...as I said, it was before my time. Besides, I don't profess to know everything about the history of Democrat politics.

Dixie: "I will again say, if you have evidence that there was a mass exodus of democrats to the republican party following Civil Rights, to please give us some proof of that."

Here you go; this is common knowledge:

In the 1960s, the courting of white Southern Democratic voters was the basis of the "southern strategy" of the Republican Party's Presidential Campaigns. Republican Presidential Candidate Barry Goldwater carried the Deep South in 1964, despite losing in a landslide in the rest of the nation to President Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas. Johnson surmised that his advocacy behind passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 would lose the South for the Democratic party and it did. When the Democrats pushed for civil rights, the Republicans reaped the political benefits of a Southern white backlash. The only Democratic presidential candidate after 1956 to solidly carry the Deep South was President Jimmy Carter in the 1976 election.

Senator Strom Thurmond switched parties and became a Republican as a result of his support for the Barry Goldwater campaign in 1964. Former Democrat Jesse Helms also switched his party registration to Republican in 1970 and won a Senate seat in North Carolina in 1972. Phil Gramm of Texas, at the time a member of the House of Representatives, switched his party registration from Democrat to Republican in 1983. Several other Southern senators, such as Richard Russell, Jr. of Georgia and James Eastland and John Stennis of Mississippi remained in the Democratic Party and went on to become prominent senators who served multiple terms in the service of their respective states. These long careers in the Senate elevated their seniority and put them in positions of power and prestige.

Into the twenty-first century, the South has changed from a Democratic monolith to a majority Republican sector of the country with GOP gains in state legislatures. This change, which became quite evident in 1972 with the electoral success of Richard Nixon's "Southern Strategy", peaked with the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980, and was consolidated in 1994 when Republicans gained a majority in the House of Representatives under the leadership of Newt Gingrich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixiecrat

When the Democrats pushed for civil rights, the Republicans reaped the political benefits of a Southern white backlash.

And what does this have to do with Republicans being racists? It seems to me, Democrats bolted from the racist Democrat party to join the less-racist Republican party.

Your proof...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://umich.edu/~lawrace/votetour8.htm

Back