The Maverick Richard Lee Armitage and the Outing of Valerie Plame

Prakosh

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the "I made a terrible mistake" twice story, from Armitage or anyone else connected with the Plame affair. Two factoids that seem to have fallen through the memory hole in this recently constructed Armitage worked for State under Powell and Powell didn't even like Bush and neither did Armitage bullshit scenario, is the rather unpleasant fact, first that in spite of not liking Bush, Powell went before the UN and lied his ass off for nearly 2 hours for Bush, and second that Armitage wasn’t Powell’s maverick buddy as he is now being portrayed. Oh, and also the rather amazing confluence of apologies, Powell is so sorry now, too, isn't he. Isn't his UN fiasco his biggest personal professional regret blah, blah, blah. Of course it is--now. But another factoid seems to have been sucked through the memory hole as well. Early on it was revealed that in late May or early June in the days just before Plame's name was shopped around to at least 6 members of the lap dog Washington press corps, Powell and others took a trip to Africa, and on that trip to Africa they took a file on Plame. This was widely reported in the press at the time it was learned. The file was at one point even known to have been carried by or to have been in then Bush press secretary, Ari Fliesher's hands. He resigned shortly after that incident, although this timing may have been coincidence as it was widely reported that he was considering his resignation for some time before this flurry of accidental name spreading occurred.

Now some want to make this whole affair a big mistake. Armitage made a mistake twice, by absent mindedly spilling Plame’s name to two high powered conservative members of the Washington press corps—my-oh-my, it was all a big mistake, so sorry… Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as saying Armitage released (I'm still not buying the "I made a terrible mistake twice" story) Plame's name to the press first so there was no crime, there was no cover up. There was no harm, no foul. Here's why.

Let's look at what we do know. We know now that Plame was working not just on any old WMD, but that she was head of the WMD in Iraq desk/project at the CIA. Like all real (versus the Bush and Cheney authorized fictional/creative department/sources in the Pentagon for instance) sources for WMD in Iraq such as the UN weapons inspectors for one, she was finding no WMD in Iraq. Now whether or not there were some spent shell casing in some junkyard somewhere that had once held some kind of chemical compound from the late eighties as Dixie, the man who evidently is proud to have his head wrapped in a confederate flag, has been propagandizng here, or whether there was 500 as Santorum was spouting on FOXNEWS or the 700 that our flag-wrapped buddy now says there was is irrelevant, the important fact is that Saddam had no viable WMD, and there is ample evidence that the Bush administration's push for war with Iraq was based on the fact that Saddam not only had WMD, but he had the bomb, or was working on the bomb, or was going to get the bomb, and we had to stop this dangerous and evil dictator before he got the bomb. But in fact, he was a washed up dictator, evil or not, who had apparently even lost interest in being dictator, but like many evil dictator's he lacked an exit strategy and was apparently, in the years between GWI and GWII, transistioning from evil dictator to novelist and was hoping like many Iraqi novelists of this interwar period, to write the great Iraqi novel. History intervened. His dream was deferred.

The important point here is, Plame and her husband, Joe Wilson, evidently knew that Saddam had no WMDs, no Air Force, no drones, no mobile chemical labs (I still can't write this without laughing my ass off), no mobile missile's concealed behind Palm trees, or was it disguised as Palm trees, no matter now. In fact, Iraq had none, zero, zilch, well maybe one actual weapon of the 55 different types that Powell said Iraq had in that famous speech before the UN, where the aging and grainy film of the jet, destroyed in a bombing raid in 1991, spraying what we were told was chemical weapons all over the place, was used to such grand effect. And which Powell now claims was a big mistake and he is sorry for ever making and after all he never liked Bush and Bush rewarded him by sacking him, so we all forgive him his transgression, and some still wish he would run for President. But he was working in the Bush State Department at the time, in fact he was Secretary of State, and Richard Lee Armitage was his second in command over there, and in the current lapdog press corp rewriting of history we are supposed to believe that these two were thick as thieves, they were the mavericks, the straight shooters, the one's who didn't like Bush and who weren't loyal to Bush, maybe even conspiring against Bush. It was classic political intrigue alright, except for this one little speech at the UN and now this mistaken and innocent release of Plame's name to the press, by the number two at this radical outpost of anti-Bushism, the Bush State Department.

Now let's look at Mr. Armitage, that maverick, that guy just out there accidentally putting out Plame’s name, making mistakes, unknowing and innocent, we are now told. Because maybe Mr. Armitage was that maverick guy at state who with Powell was so anti-Bush, so anti-neo-con, so anti-war, who really didn’t agree with Bush at all and was so against Bush that if he leaked Plame’s name it was a fluke, a mistake, an error, a lapse in judgement, an innocent slip of the tongue by a incompetent official who, in fact, he didn’t know who she was or even that she worked at CIA or what she did there, or really anything at all about her. So who is this maverick, this anti-Bushie, this incompetent loose-lipped but innocent for all that oaf, Richard Lee Armitage.

For those here who never heard of the Iraq-Contra affair, the name Richard Lee Armitage, may seem like a name from nowhere, but for those who lived through those glorious years of "my heart still tells me I did nothing wrong even though the evidence suggests otherwise," "mistakes were made" and the administration of the now canonized Ronald Reagan, that name rings a bell. Yes, Richard Lee Armitage, was so involved in the Iran-Contra affair that his first attempt at the job of Assistant Secretary of State in the George H.W. Bush administration was denied him in 1989 when he couldn’t get Senate confirmation because of his Iran-Contra ties (ever wonder how a guy who hates his father and wants to do everything different than Bush I wound up with so many of Dad’s former employees, compatriots and friends in his administration?). So this maverick was involved in that shady affair at a high level as Reagan’s Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs, whatever that signifies. But rather than go through the history of Iran-Contra, and who did what, let’s just let Armitage’s failure to be confirmed be the telling fact on his level of involvement.

More recently we find that Armitage was a signatory to the letter from the Project for the New American Century (PNAC), titled "Rebuilding America's Defenses," which this group delivered to President William Jefferson Clinton on January 26, 1998. This letter, for those who still don’t know, specifically called for an invasion of Iraq and the removal of Saddam based on the argument that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, had drones capable of reaching America, etc. Indeed, many of the same claims made by Powell in his speech to the United Nations were coincidentally first given voice in this letter to Clinton of 1998. But that’s not the only coincidence. In fact, the PNAC, as it is so fondly referred to by it’s founders, which include, in addition to that maverick Armitage, such other maverick’s as Dick Cheney, Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Jed Bush, and surprise, Lewis Libby, was peopled by a who’s who of neo-cons in the Bush administration. And I bet you though that Armitage didn’t even know Libby or Cheney, and according to the stories now circulating who can blame you. Indeed, when Armitage was first appointed to work with Powell, it was widely rumored that he was appointed to be Powell’s Undersecretary because Cheney didn’t trust Powell so he sent Armitage over there to "keep an eye on Powell." Of course all this gets washed out in the new image of Armitage as maverick partner to maverick Powell. Some maverick, HUH.

But that’s not all this maverick has been up to. He is also a former board member for CAC International. CACI asit is commonly referred to, is the private military contractor, who employed the four interrogators who are widely believed to be responsible for the death of at least one detainee at Abu Ghraib prison. Of course, once this grisly episode was singled out by General Taguba in his report on abuses of Iraqi detainees at the prison, Armitage had to distance himself, so he resigned. So he not only suggested and helped plan the war, but later profited from it. Yes, quite a maverick this Armitage. And we are to believe that he didn’t even know who Valerie Plame was, or what he was doing when he first told Woodward about her, or when he later made the same mistake again and let her name slip to Robert Novak. Mistakes will happen even in the most awkward and improbable of circumstances.

So even though such radicals here as Dixie, he of the confederate flag head-wrap, and Damocles, the clear thinking and logical, want us now to believe that no law was broken, mistakes were made, but no harm was ever meant, I’m not buying it. You have three people in three different departments of the Bush administration releasing Plame’s name to several different members of the press, from Chris Mathews to Mathew Cooper, to Judy Miller, and others. All of this activity, this accidental name spreading occurred either before or immediately after her husband’s anti-Bush article appeared in The New York Times. We have Rove, at the White House, Libby in the Vice President’s office, and now this maverick Armitage, at State, releasing/leaking Plame’s name to at least six members of the Washington press corps within about a two-week period of time.

Now I don’t know shit about logic, or about constructing an argument or even about how government works. Hell I don’t even have a high school education, I’m, even seen by Dixie, he of the confederate flag head-wrap, as a "Fucking Idiot," and who can doubt his veracity on this particular topic, but I think I do know that if you hold an apple before your face and suddenly let go of it, it will probably fall. The reason I know this is not because I have any knowledge of physics, I don’t know shit about physics or Newton, or anything he said about apples, if he did…but because I have dropped apples and in every instance, they fell to the floor and bruised and didn’t taste very well afterwards…

The point here is that, as with the apple falling, we have to look at probabilities, and ask ourselves how likely is it that we could have these three people, Rove, Libby and Armitage, the maverick, suddenly and accidentally speaking to no less than 6 different press functionaries (two press contacts a piece, mind you) about a specific CIA agent in charge of the Iraq WMD desk/project at the CIA, during this small period of time. If you can actually look at all this, and say that no harm was meant and that this was nothing more than a group of well-meaning people just making "mistakes," good for you. I just can’t see it that way, but maybe some still can. For those who want to see most of the lies contained in Woodward’s editorial in the Washington Post debunked go here. For Plame’s job at CIA go here. For Armitage’s various biographies go here.

Last edited:
That must have taken you forever to type... I've noticed you aren't the fastest of keyboarding maniacs...

That must have taken you forever to type... I've noticed you aren't the fastest of keyboarding maniacs...
Funny no matter how slow I type it is still twice as fast as the letters appear in your documents. I actually worked this up in an hour or so this morning in MSWord and pasted it with your super-fast board linking system. If I have anything worthwhile to write I can't do it here. In that sentence for instance I was done typing before the word "have" appeared in full. I don't know how others do it but this is the slowest board I have ever seen. I type and watch, type and watch. It's damn maddening and frustrating as hell.

I don't know what you are in, but it works fine for me, including on my MAC. I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

First of all the Editing box is on your own machine not on my server, so if letters are not appearing right away when you type them it has something to do with your machine, not my server.

Second of all, I use approximately six different machines to post on this board and have not even one problem with any of them on how it appears when I type. This is something with your machine, not the server.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the "I made a terrible mistake" twice story, from Armitage or anyone else connected with the Plame affair. Two factoids that seem to have fallen through the memory hole in this recently constructed Armitage worked for State under Powell and Powell didn't even like Bush and neither did Armitage bullshit scenario, is the rather unpleasant fact, first that in spite of not liking Bush, Powell went before the UN and lied his ass off for nearly 2 hours for Bush, and second that Armitage wasn’t Powell’s maverick buddy as he is now being portrayed. Oh, and also the rather amazing confluence of apologies, Powell is so sorry now, too, isn't he. Isn't his UN fiasco his biggest personal professional regret blah, blah, blah. Of course it is--now. But another factoid seems to have been sucked through the memory hole as well. Early on it was revealed that in late May or early June in the days just before Plame's name was shopped around to at least 6 members of the lap dog Washington press corps, Powell and others took a trip to Africa, and on that trip to Africa they took a file on Plame. This was widely reported in the press at the time it was learned. The file was at one point even known to have been carried by or to have been in then Bush press secretary, Ari Fliesher's hands. He resigned shortly after that incident, although this timing may have been coincidence as it was widely reported that he was considering his resignation for some time before this flurry of accidental name spreading occurred.

Now some want to make this whole affair a big mistake. Armitage made a mistake twice, by absent mindedly spilling Plame’s name to two high powered conservative members of the Washington press corps—my-oh-my, it was all a big mistake, so sorry… Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as saying Armitage released (I'm still not buying the "I made a terrible mistake twice" story) Plame's name to the press first so there was no crime, there was no cover up. There was no harm, no foul. Here's why.

Let's look at what we do know. We know now that Plame was working not just on any old WMD, but that she was head of the WMD in Iraq desk/project at the CIA. Like all real (versus the Bush and Cheney authorized fictional/creative department/sources in the Pentagon for instance) sources for WMD in Iraq such as the UN weapons inspectors for one, she was finding no WMD in Iraq. Now whether or not there were some spent shell casing in some junkyard somewhere that had once held some kind of chemical compound from the late eighties as Dixie, the man who evidently is proud to have his head wrapped in a confederate flag, has been propagandizng here, or whether there was 500 as Santorum was spouting on FOXNEWS or the 700 that our flag-wrapped buddy now says there was is irrelevant, the important fact is that Saddam had no viable WMD, and there is ample evidence that the Bush administration's push for war with Iraq was based on the fact that Saddam not only had WMD, but he had the bomb, or was working on the bomb, or was going to get the bomb, and we had to stop this dangerous and evil dictator before he got the bomb. But in fact, he was a washed up dictator, evil or not, who had apparently even lost interest in being dictator, but like many evil dictator's he lacked an exit strategy and was apparently, in the years between GWI and GWII, transistioning from evil dictator to novelist and was hoping like many Iraqi novelists of this interwar period, to write the great Iraqi novel. History intervened. His dream was deferred.

The important point here is, Plame and her husband, Joe Wilson, evidently knew that Saddam had no WMDs, no Air Force, no drones, no mobile chemical labs (I still can't write this without laughing my ass off), no mobile missile's concealed behind Palm trees, or was it disguised as Palm trees, no matter now. In fact, Iraq had none, zero, zilch, well maybe one actual weapon of the 55 different types that Powell said Iraq had in that famous speech before the UN, where the aging and grainy film of the jet, destroyed in a bombing raid in 1991, spraying what we were told was chemical weapons all over the place, was used to such grand effect. And which Powell now claims was a big mistake and he is sorry for ever making and after all he never liked Bush and Bush rewarded him by sacking him, so we all forgive him his transgression, and some still wish he would run for President. But he was working in the Bush State Department at the time, in fact he was Secretary of State, and Richard Lee Armitage was his second in command over there, and in the current lapdog press corp rewriting of history we are supposed to believe that these two were thick as thieves, they were the mavericks, the straight shooters, the one's who didn't like Bush and who weren't loyal to Bush, maybe even conspiring against Bush. It was classic political intrigue alright, except for this one little speech at the UN and now this mistaken and innocent release of Plame's name to the press, by the number two at this radical outpost of anti-Bushism, the Bush State Department.

Now let's look at Mr. Armitage, that maverick, that guy just out there accidentally putting out Plame’s name, making mistakes, unknowing and innocent, we are now told. Because maybe Mr. Armitage was that maverick guy at state who with Powell was so anti-Bush, so anti-neo-con, so anti-war, who really didn’t agree with Bush at all and was so against Bush that if he leaked Plame’s name it was a fluke, a mistake, an error, a lapse in judgement, an innocent slip of the tongue by a incompetent official who, in fact, he didn’t know who she was or even that she worked at CIA or what she did there, or really anything at all about her. So who is this maverick, this anti-Bushie, this incompetent loose-lipped but innocent for all that oaf, Richard Lee Armitage.

For those here who never heard of the Iraq-Contra affair, the name Richard Lee Armitage, may seem like a name from nowhere, but for those who lived through those glorious years of "my heart still tells me I did nothing wrong even though the evidence suggests otherwise," "mistakes were made" and the administration of the now canonized Ronald Reagan, that name rings a bell. Yes, Richard Lee Armitage, was so involved in the Iran-Contra affair that his first attempt at the job of Assistant Secretary of State in the George H.W. Bush administration was denied him in 1989 when he couldn’t get Senate confirmation because of his Iran-Contra ties (ever wonder how a guy who hates his father and wants to do everything different than Bush I wound up with so many of Dad’s former employees, compatriots and friends in his administration?). So this maverick was involved in that shady affair at a high level as Reagan’s Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs, whatever that signifies. But rather than go through the history of Iran-Contra, and who did what, let’s just let Armitage’s failure to be confirmed be the telling fact on his level of involvement.

More recently we find that Armitage was a signatory to the letter from the Project for the New American Century (PNAC), titled "Rebuilding America's Defenses," which this group delivered to President William Jefferson Clinton on January 26, 1998. This letter, for those who still don’t know, specifically called for an invasion of Iraq and the removal of Saddam based on the argument that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, had drones capable of reaching America, etc. Indeed, many of the same claims made by Powell in his speech to the United Nations were coincidentally first given voice in this letter to Clinton of 1998. But that’s not the only coincidence. In fact, the PNAC, as it is so fondly referred to by it’s founders, which include, in addition to that maverick Armitage, such other maverick’s as Dick Cheney, Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Jed Bush, and surprise, Lewis Libby, was peopled by a who’s who of neo-cons in the Bush administration. And I bet you though that Armitage didn’t even know Libby or Cheney, and according to the stories now circulating who can blame you. Indeed, when Armitage was first appointed to work with Powell, it was widely rumored that he was appointed to be Powell’s Undersecretary because Cheney didn’t trust Powell so he sent Armitage over there to "keep an eye on Powell." Of course all this gets washed out in the new image of Armitage as maverick partner to maverick Powell. Some maverick, HUH.

But that’s not all this maverick has been up to. He is also a former board member for CAC International. CACI asit is commonly referred to, is the private military contractor, who employed the four interrogators who are widely believed to be responsible for the death of at least one detainee at Abu Ghraib prison. Of course, once this grisly episode was singled out by General Taguba in his report on abuses of Iraqi detainees at the prison, Armitage had to distance himself, so he resigned. So he not only suggested and helped plan the war, but later profited from it. Yes, quite a maverick this Armitage. And we are to believe that he didn’t even know who Valerie Plame was, or what he was doing when he first told Woodward about her, or when he later made the same mistake again and let her name slip to Robert Novak. Mistakes will happen even in the most awkward and improbable of circumstances.

So even though such radicals here as Dixie, he of the confederate flag head-wrap, and Damocles, the clear thinking and logical, want us now to believe that no law was broken, mistakes were made, but no harm was ever meant, I’m not buying it. You have three people in three different departments of the Bush administration releasing Plame’s name to several different members of the press, from Chris Mathews to Mathew Cooper, to Judy Miller, and others. All of this activity, this accidental name spreading occurred either before or immediately after her husband’s anti-Bush article appeared in The New York Times. We have Rove, at the White House, Libby in the Vice President’s office, and now this maverick Armitage, at State, releasing/leaking Plame’s name to at least six members of the Washington press corps within about a two-week period of time.

Now I don’t know shit about logic, or about constructing an argument or even about how government works. Hell I don’t even have a high school education, I’m, even seen by Dixie, he of the confederate flag head-wrap, as a "Fucking Idiot," and who can doubt his veracity on this particular topic, but I think I do know that if you hold an apple before your face and suddenly let go of it, it will probably fall. The reason I know this is not because I have any knowledge of physics, I don’t know shit about physics or Newton, or anything he said about apples, if he did…but because I have dropped apples and in every instance, they fell to the floor and bruised and didn’t taste very well afterwards…

The point here is that, as with the apple falling, we have to look at probabilities, and ask ourselves how likely is it that we could have these three people, Rove, Libby and Armitage, the maverick, suddenly and accidentally speaking to no less than 6 different press functionaries (two press contacts a piece, mind you) about a specific CIA agent in charge of the Iraq WMD desk/project at the CIA, during this small period of time. If you can actually look at all this, and say that no harm was meant and that this was nothing more than a group of well-meaning people just making "mistakes," good for you. I just can’t see it that way, but maybe some still can. For those who want to see most of the lies contained in Woodward’s editorial in the Washington Post debunked go here. For Plame’s job at CIA go here. For Armitage’s various biographies go here.

Do I know you? I feel like I know you? Silly maybe, but I do feel this way...you don't need to tell me who you are if an alias, just that if you are a ghost from christmas past, please let me know that...somehow, please. :)

Oh, and I think I agree with most of what you have said.

care

Damo, just kidding on the vic20 :) Actually this is one of the faster boards I hit.
Lots faster than one tractor oriented board I visit.

This guy could give me a run for most verbose poster.

I used to post things that long on a regular basis until I noticed people didn't actually read them. Now I save it for the head to head debates.

Damo, just kidding on the vic20 :) Actually this is one of the faster boards I hit.
Lots faster than one tractor oriented board I visit.

LOL.

Yeah, I mean... Why complain to me when his own computer doesn't produce letters he is typing fast enough? It isn't my server or the board at all at that point. It never hits my board until you submit...

:dunno:

Something weird is happening to him locally, unfortunately without direct access I can't even troubleshoot it.

I don't know what you are in, but it works fine for me, including on my MAC. I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

First of all the Editing box is on your own machine not on my server, so if letters are not appearing right away when you type them it has something to do with your machine, not my server.

Second of all, I use approximately six different machines to post on this board and have not even one problem with any of them on how it appears when I type. This is something with your machine, not the server.

I honestly don't know a thing about any of it, I am using a three year old G3 ibook with OS 10.3, 256 mg of memory and the latest Mozilla browser. I don't have this trouble on any other board. I do know that I have never had any problem with anything concerning computers when it wasn't me. In fact, I have never found any problem with any product or any service that wasn't my own damn fault so I'm not surprised. But I can't type faster than MSWord ever and I can't type as slow as these letters appear ever. I know though that it is all me, it always is...

Last edited:
Weird. I'll have to do some testing.... I have an old iBook I can test out... I'll have to hook it up to the home network and see if I can duplicate the issue.

I don't know if it is your fault, it may just be an odd interaction...

I honestly don't know a thing about any of it, I am using a three year old G3 ibook with OS 10.3, 256 mg of memory and the latest Mozilla browser. I don't have this trouble on any other board. I do know that I have never had any problem with anything concerning computers when it wasn't me. In fact, I have never found any problem with any product or any service that wasn't my own damn fault so I'm not surprised. But I can't type faster than MSWord ever and I can't type as slow as these letters appear ever. I know though that it is all me, it always is...
The other board software didn't have a rich text editor. This one does. That's the difference. I *think* this one uses the ubiquitous FreeTextBox editor, but that's neither here nor there.

It's odd that it runs so slowly for you. Early versions of FTB didn't play well with Macs but this one works fine for me. It may be the relatively small amount of RAM in your laptop but you're more likely to notice problems there on loading and unloading.

I'm stumped, frankly. It just may not like your particular combination of hardware, OS and browser.

Ahh... You may want to select the next level down on the editor. The WYSIWYG Editor can be a bit trying on some machines...

Go into your UserCP and select a less intensive editor.

Prak,

Dixie informs me that Armitage was a democratic Clinton-hack who worked in the clinton adminstration.

Surely, Dixie didn't just simply make that up?

The other board software didn't have a rich text editor. This one does. That's the difference. I *think* this one uses the ubiquitous FreeTextBox editor, but that's neither here nor there.

It's odd that it runs so slowly for you. Early versions of FTB didn't play well with Macs but this one works fine for me. It may be the relatively small amount of RAM in your laptop but you're more likely to notice problems there on loading and unloading.

I'm stumped, frankly. It just may not like your particular combination of hardware, OS and browser.

Well I can't say I blame it for "not liking..." etc, I'm not so sure at this point that I like it but "if I get me a new love maybe my luck will change..." Personally, I think it's all the moving icons that are slowing it down.

The smilies? Once they are loaded on your machine they don't take any load...

You should ask the Librarian if they have any PC machines, those Apples used in the Special School are sub-par machines, and can't handle the complex code of newer websites. Sesame Street's website is Apple friendly, which is why your other sites seem to work and this one doesn't. Glad I could help... Oh, and you may want to check at WeeklyReader.com, I've heard they have a nice primer up, on grammatical elements like "capitalization" and such. It's nice to know you have come to terms with your disability and haven't let it stop you from learning. Good luck to you, I am pulling for ya!

The smilies? Once they are loaded on your machine they don't take any load...

I don't what it is, as stupid as I am and I'm damn stupid I can tell when letters don't appear on my screen for three or four seconds. Or longer...

But maybe it isn't happening that way at all, maybe I am just slow of seeing...

Back