The Most Post-Christian Cities in the U.S.

I put my trust, my heart, and my faith in Him, but that doesn’t mean that I am against science. What do you consider to be educated? I recently graduated with a bachelor of science degree in animal science with a concentration in livestock management. I’m technically more educated in that particular field than most other students that majored in something else at my school but that doesn’t make me overall more educated than each of them. If I moved to a bigger city would that change my education level?

I have know plenty of educated people - scientists even - who are devoutly religious.

I think to some extent there is a perception among some secularists that the devout Christian thinks the bible is literal history. Jonah actually lived in the belly of a whale, the Earth is 6000 years old, et al.

I am pretty sure that kind of literalism is pretty much limited to strains of evangelical Protestantism. I certainly personally never experience that kind of Biblical literalism and rejection of evolution in Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholocism, or mainline Protestantism. So in some respects, I think it is unfair to paint all Christians as the type of frequent the Creation Science Museum, or the Noah's Ark Experience theme park.

At it's best, religion to me is a philosophical tradition that guides our choices. I mean, this goes back to Zoroaster, Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, Muhammad, et al. So, at it's bare essence, they are collectively universal philosophical traditions rooted in the Axial Age - traditions who hold to the premise that we all have to make a choice to stay on the path of righteousness or not, and we all are responsible for our moral choices and the consequences that come with them. And that ultimately determines the purity of our souls.
One could argue all day about whether Johan actually lived in the belly of a whale, but I cannot argue with or make fun of the philosophical traditions the buttress the world's major religions at their best.

doesnt this story sound fishy to you? an all powerful god letting himself be whipped and nailed to a cross? a cross was the common execution method if jesus would have lived in the old west would we all wear little nooses around our necks? if he had been executed by firing squad would we all have to wear bullets instead of crosses, doesnt any of this strike oyu as abad morbid and perverse? i was raised protestant, but toaughtto question everything, i read the bible, and now i definitely reject chritian teaching my god that is the most sadistic book i have ever read.. your god is a psycho a narsistic meglo maniac.. like an abusive alcoholic step father

Back