The negative side of being number one

It follows the same mercantile spirit created by the Brits, using the same military force we used to ensure the mercantile success, created on the back of our industrial revolution. Its success is primarily down to this, and ethnic cleansing, quaintly known as 'manifest destiny'.
We're still freighted today with citizens who long for cultural homogeneity . . . as you are too, I know. ;)

To be fair, I think that what we're loosely calling a "mercantile spirit" may be properly called an Italian innovation. They started it earlier than anyone else, if memory serves.

I believe Histroy proves out that the USA has been an exceptional venture.

In what way? It is no more exceptional than any of the countries that have come before it... That makes it unexceptional

As far as borrowing "political philosophies" ..so what? And the Romans borrowed from the Greeks ... and on and on ...
We dont claim to have invented Democracy .. we just think we have done a pretty good job of reshaping it ....with our attempts at a highly spirited Union.

There are a great many people in the US who think that the US brought democracy and individual freedoms into the modern world.....

A less wise version of the British Empire? lol ... Yes your majesty .... lol

Wisdom comes from experience. The British have made the same mistakes that the US seems determined to make for themselves

My point is that the US isn't exceptional. It is a great nation, but one of a great many great nations...

It is neither the land of milk and honey nor the chosen land...

For good reason .. over the past 100 years there has been a mass migration into this Country .. there must be a reason for it ...
Ive never witnessed a mass exodus....
I will concede we do have many warts and scars ..., but historicall we have been able to fix them, Lets understand ..it is the American People who make the USA Great .. and the American People are the real beacons of Liberty ... and we reserve the right to brag about it ..

I disagree ... There has never been a Utopia .. a nation free from blemishes. But there have been many great Nations even if they were Empires .. along with the Empire building comes great History ....
We marvel at the Pyramids, Roman and Greek Architecure, The artifacts from the Italian Renaissance .. a few examples of the rich heritage rom great empires with a truly dark side. Just as Americans do when we visit England ... we marvel at the Royal Palaces .. and the rich heritage .. with all its warts ...
So America has warts .. we know that.. we know that we arent Utopia .. but we also know that we will reserve our place along side the other great Nations in History ... but I think we will stand out .. because we have empowered the people more so than any other great nation of the past.

For good reason .. over the past 100 years there has been a mass migration into this Country .. there must be a reason for it ...

For the past 1000 years there has been mass migration into Europe. In the last 100 years there has been just as much migration to Britain as there has the US (in proportion to size) In less than 50 years Britain has become one of the most multi-cultural nations on Earth.

The US isn't exceptional in experiencing immigration.

I will concede we do have many warts and scars ..., but historicall we have been able to fix them, Lets understand ..it is the American People who make the USA Great .. and the American People are the real beacons of Liberty ... and we reserve the right to brag about it ..

Beacons of liberty? No people are a beacon of liberty. The US have oppressed as much as liberated. I'm sure those subject to manifest destiny will testify to that.

My point is that the US isn't exceptional. It is a great nation but it's achievements nowhere near surpass those other other great nations. The US hasn't created philosophy and mathematics, nor modernised the world.

It is a young nation, and full of the enthusiasm that comes with youth.

The US has a right to brag, but doesn't have the right to claim that it is exceptional.....

Back