The philosophical implications of exponential growth

Why MAGA dumbasses were caught flat footed by the pandemic

-
Humans are woefully inept at intuitively grasping exponential growth functions. Laypersons as well as political decision makers grossly underestimate exponential growth, regardless of being presented with numerical, graphical or non-quantitative representations. At the same time, however, humans are overconfident despite their poor judgements. The so-called ‘exponential growth bias' is of new relevance in the context of COVID-19, because it explains why humans have fundamental difficulties to grasp the magnitude of a spreading epidemic.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.201574

"Humans are woefully inept at intuitively grasping exponential growth functions. At the same time, however, humans are overconfident despite their poor judgements."
This is partially why Darth "61" Omar was incredulous that COVID hospitalizations and mortalities could easily run into the millions.

Which is why it’s so important to trust the people who actually work all this stuff out

The ones who just want to know the result for the edification for man kind

Truth seekers

There are idiots who attack the truth seekers as having ulterior motives

They are often lead to that belief by someone who wants to fleece them

And they are participating in their own fleecing

what is the thickness of the paper ?

Just regular printer paper.

Supposedly if you were able to fold it in half 109 times, it would be as thick as the observable universe, though I haven't seen the math verified on that particular example.

First fold doubles the thickness second fold doubles that thickness

And on and on and on

Kinda like the lies of Fox News and the thickness of its viewers brains on lies

Just regular printer paper.

Supposedly if you were able to fold it in half 109 times, it would be as thick as the observable universe, though I haven't seen the math verified on that particular example.
not buying that.
a ream of paper is 500 sheets and is < 2" thick

not buying that.
a ream of paper is 500 sheets and is < 2" thick

Wow

Am I psychic?

I answered him way before he showed he was confused

Actually I realized some might kinda get a little distracted and not think it through enough to understand the example

It’s a great one

Every child has tried to fold a paper as many times as the could

and realized how quickly it gets just to thick

If one sheet of paper is 0.1mm thick, and each fold doubles the collective thickness, the formula for 50 folds is 0.1 x 2 exponent 50. That should work out to 112 million km.

Wow

Am I psychic?

Actually I realized some might kinda get a little distracted and not think it through enough to understand the example

It’s a great one

Exponential growth is not intuitive to the human mind, it is almost a mathmatical abstraction outside our everyday experience

If one sheet of paper is 0.1mm thick, and each fold doubles the collective thickness, the formula for 50 folds is 0.1 x 2 exponent 50. That should work out to 112 million km.

Thanks

Some people trust everyone

They are innocents like children

Some people trust only what they want to hear

They are idiots

Some people trust those that prove themselves experts by their performance

Those people are wise

Wow

Am I psychic?

It’s a great one

no they find that the 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper is too small to be able to continue to fold in half.
but his example did not address the square inches in the paper.

first fold = 2 thicknesses
second fold = 4 thicknesses

keep going and its 71m miles and as a light year is nearly 6 trillion miles, not even close.

no they find that the 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper is too small to be able to continue to fold in half.
but his example did not address the square inches in the paper.

first fold = 2 thicknesses
second fold = 4 thicknesses

keep going and its 71m miles and as a light year is nearly 6 trillion miles, not even close.

I wrote IF you could fold a sheet 50 times, which is physically impossible, but nonetheless instructive as a mathmatical abstraction.

I learned this factoid from mathematics professor Edward Burgar, so the math is rock solid, and I confirmed it myself with calculator.

Back