The Power of Prayer

Your right, it makes sense that psychology as a social science would study behavior.
While aspects of psychology are, indeed, socially oriented, it's also individually oriented as with employee, military and education applications.

Most airlines have IQ and aptitude testing. FedEx, at least back in the day, put a limit on IQ since they considered a pilot with very high IQ would become bored by long flights. Police often do the same thing since sitting long days watching traffic can be boring and administrators don't want a bored cop seeking to "make something happen".

While aspects of psychology are, indeed, socially oriented, it's also individually oriented as with employee, military and education applications.

Most airlines have IQ and aptitude testing. FedEx, at least back in the day, put a limit on IQ since they considered a pilot with very high IQ would become bored by long flights. Police often do the same thing since sitting long days watching traffic can be boring and administrators don't want a bored cop seeking to "make something happen".
That's funny that we don't want airline pilots to be too intelligent :laugh:

It's an unfortunate fact about society that the social sciences are not considered as scientific as the hard sciences. There is a certain chauvinism in the academy, undoubtedly. I think the only social science that is put forth for Nobel prizes is economics, and that almost seems like the least 'scientific' social science.

That's funny that we don't want airline pilots to be too intelligent :laugh:

It's an unfortunate fact about society that the social sciences are not considered as scientific as the hard sciences. There is a certain chauvinism in the academy, undoubtedly. I think the only social science that is put forth for Nobel prizes is economics, and that almost seems like the least 'scientific' social science.
Employers want competent employees who do their jobs, don't quit and don't cause trouble. :D

True, but that's changing. The hardest part is removing the stigma of mental illness. If someone has cancer, they receive love and condolences. If they have schizophrenia, people shy away from them.

Employers want competent employees who do their jobs, don't quit and don't cause trouble. :D

True, but that's changing. The hardest part is removing the stigma of mental illness. If someone has cancer, they receive love and condolences. If they have schizophrenia, people shy away from them.
That's very true, because there are some possible schizophrenics on this board I shy away from!

That's very true, because there are some possible schizophrenics on this board I shy away from!
At least two, IMO, with a few demented idiots as well. It's a balance between observing their behavior and still having normal interactions with others without all the "drama" as my wife calls it.

He does have nice pictures of a mineral and gemstone collection, even if he stole the photos off Reddit from someone else.

Oh look! Cypress makes a claim he didn't research, is shown he might be in error and he runs away to bitch about the other poster with his meangirl friend.

Rinse and repeat.

Maybe you could learn how to debate the point instead of the person.

Does your god tell you to lie?
He told Moses to lie... God told Moses he was going to get his people out of Egypt, then sent him in to ask time and again for some time in the wilderness from which the Jews would return. Then this god "hardened Pharaoh's heart so he would say no, causing the suffering of the Egyptian people. When god finally changed his mind he sent his chariots after them because he realized they were lying and they were not coming back like he had been told....

Just a few chapters later in Exodus the Ten Commandments demanded that folks not lie...

Good story, no?

He told Moses to lie... God told Moses he was going to get his people out of Egypt, then sent him in to ask time and again for some time in the wilderness from which the Jews would return. Then this god "hardened Pharaoh's heart so he would say no, causing the suffering of the Egyptian people. When god finally changed his mind he sent his chariots after them because he realized they were lying and they were not coming back like he had been told....

Just a few chapters later in Exodus the Ten Commandments demanded that folks not lie...

Good story, no?
I never really understood the fascination with ancient Jewish myths.

I never really understood the fascination with ancient Jewish myths.
It's even more interesting when you realize that had they told the truth and Pharoah therefore didn't send the Chariots after them he would not have purposefully shut down the Eastern Wind by which the waters were separated and killed them all... which would be murder. This same god then told folks not to murder... do not do what I do... do what I say, ay?

Even deeper, when you read that god made the Egyptians give their riches to the Jews just before they left... sounds a bit like theft, ay? Just saying...

No stealing, no lying, no murder...

It's even more interesting when you realize that had they told the truth and Pharoah therefore didn't send the Chariots after them he would not have purposefully shut down the Eastern Wind by which the waters were separated and killed them all... which would be murder. This same god then told folks not to murder... do not do what I do... do what I say, ay?

Even deeper, when you read that god made the Egyptians give their riches to the Jews just before they left... sounds a bit like theft, ay? Just saying...

it's almost like God wanted to punish the Egyptians for something......maybe it was for treating the Israelites like slaves for a few hundred years......

Like I said, who really cares about the god ancient Jews constructed.

There is nothing known about the laws of Darwinian biology that require us to seek transcendence.
What is this desperate need you have to mischaracterize Darwin's theory of evolution and to pretend that you are somehow an expert?

You post the stupidest crap. It's obvious that Darwin's theory threatens you to the core and you feel compelled to create a "safe space" in which you can seek refuge.

Too many millions of Christian monks, Sufi mystics, Zen masters, Taoist monks seem to have experienced something meaningful to them
Once again you are pretending to speak for countless, unspecified, others. What a surprise.

, and too many scientific studies have shown real health and psychological benefits of meditation and prayer for me to write it all off as a con job.
Why can't you post any links to these "thientific thtudies"?

Good story, no?
I love a good campfire story!

Oh look! Cypress makes a claim he didn't research, is shown he might be in error and he runs away to bitch about the other poster with his meangirl friend.

Rinse and repeat.

Maybe you could learn how to debate the point instead of the person.
Maybe you could! Or would.

Back