The Republican Supreme Court Sticks It to the Little Guy (Again)

This is the main reason I will vote for Obama in 2012

Once again the United States Supreme Court under Chief Justice John Roberts has shown the nation it will always favor corporations over people even if it means conjuring new law out of thin air. Like Citizens United, the recent 5-4 ruling in AT&T’s favor gutting the power of consumers to file class-action lawsuits against giant corporations tips the scales of justice against the people and renders the enormous power of corporations even more enormous.

When I first heard about the case, AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion there was little doubt in my mind that the Gang of Five — John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy, and Clarence Thomas would figure out a way to ignore Supreme Court precedent and again apply their judicial activism in service to the corporations, and by extension, to the oligarchy they apparently believe the “founders” intended.

It’s kind of funny when we see Republican presidential candidates like Mitt Romeny, Tim Pawlenty, and Newt Gingrich pandering to the “little guy” denouncing “elites” who are trampling on their rights only to remain mute on the fact that their beloved Republican Supreme Court never, ever rules in favor of the “little guy.”

The Republican president Ronald Reagan gave us Scalia and Kennedy; the Republican president George Herbert Walker Bush gave us Thomas; and the Republican president George W. Bush gave us Roberts and Alito. This cabal has shown over and over again where its true loyalties lie, not to “the law,” not to “the Constitution,” not to “calling balls and strikes,” but to a 21st century version of corporate feudalism. This new corporate feudalism that the High Court is determined to thrust on the nation is even more exploitative than the earlier brand of Medieval feudalism because it is absent noblesse oblige.

Someone should tell those people running around in tri-cornered hats and talking about the “founders” that it might be wise to save an ounce of their collective wrath for the Republicans who have appointed five Justices who are trampling on individual freedoms in service of corporations.

Whole op-ed

Copy%20of%20Copy%20of%20Sold%20Out%20Citizens%20United%20Yang%20money%20copy.jpg

I don't want no more nutcase justices like Roberts and Alito on the high court!

First off, the right wing robes ruled that State rights are merely right wing bullshit, the federal government decides.

Second, Justice Scalia reinterpreted the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 in which arbitration’s purpose was to resolve disputes between businesses — not businesses and consumers.

1. you have given no examples of precedent ignored
2. the majority did not "reinterpret" the act, they INterpreted the act, which is their duty. thus you have failed to show any judicial activism.
3. cite the case or part of the law which supports your assertion because not even the dissent mentioned that.
4. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/9/usc_sup_01_9.html <-- there is the act, cite the language to support your assertion

Having gone to school with the likes of Roberts, Scalia, and Alito. their worship of wealth or privilege is fundamental to their being. They had it good so if you don't it must be your fault. I realize this comment is off topic, but getting to the root of why (some) Catholics in particular think corporations are gawds is similar to their growing up under the idea of a papacy. The models are the same and the patterns of thinking are similar. Sounds weird but I see it often in relatives.

The Concepcion's should have done what my wife does, get on the phone and ream them a new you know what. She never loses a battle, I listen and laugh as I don't have the patience for these sort of battles. So long as Scalia, Alito, and Thomas are on the court it will always be three for the corporations, zero for the people in the first inning. Just the way they are. Law is another post.

this court simply followed it's long standing precedent, set by the liberals of the court since the new deal came about, that is that the takings clause was redefined to suit public benefit. Therefore, private property of individuals is no longer private, but rented from the government and can be taken at will.

this court simply followed it's long standing precedent, set by the liberals of the court since the new deal came about, that is that the takings clause was redefined to suit public benefit. Therefore, private property of individuals is no longer private, but rented from the government and can be taken at will.

It's clearly up to you and your fellow Moron Labes (pictured below) to take back the peoples' rights.

Send us a postcard from DC, will you?

jHbj8HR1qy5RhERoJaBnsTTZHqU-medium.jpg

Having gone to school with the likes of Roberts, Scalia, and Alito. their worship of wealth or privilege is fundamental to their being. They had it good so if you don't it must be your fault. I realize this comment is off topic, but getting to the root of why (some) Catholics in particular think corporations are gawds is similar to their growing up under the idea of a papacy. The models are the same and the patterns of thinking are similar. Sounds weird but I see it often in relatives.

The Concepcion's should have done what my wife does, get on the phone and ream them a new you know what. She never loses a battle, I listen and laugh as I don't have the patience for these sort of battles. So long as Scalia, Alito, and Thomas are on the court it will always be three for the corporations, zero for the people in the first inning. Just the way they are. Law is another post.

Explain all the non-papists who are fond of corporations. Loving business, progress, and productivity is what makes them American, not Catholic.

wow,.,..does that show you to be a bigot ?....the stupidest kind of bigot ?, damn right it does......
I can tolerate stupid, but to be both a bigot and stupid is over the top....

1. you have given no examples of precedent ignored
2. the majority did not "reinterpret" the act, they INterpreted the act, which is their duty. thus you have failed to show any judicial activism.
3. cite the case or part of the law which supports your assertion because not even the dissent mentioned that.
4. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/9/usc_sup_01_9.html <-- there is the act, cite the language to support your assertion

Precedent Yurt...for 86 years the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 was never interpreted to circumvent state laws or strip citizens of class action litigation...until now.

Writing about why the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 pre-empts the California law in question, Justice Scalia demonstrates both his pro-business bias and the selective nature of his brand of originalism.

Contrary to what he suggests, when the law favoring arbitration was enacted, arbitration’s purpose was to resolve disputes between businesses — not businesses and consumers. He doesn’t try to trace his view on class arbitration to the 1925 law because it is mute on the subject. Instead, he provides his own definition of what arbitration should and should not be — with “no meaningful support,” as Justice Breyer writes, in Supreme Court precedent. ref.

The dissenting view certainly mentions it:

Where does the majority get its contrary idea—that individual, rather than class, arbitration is a “fundamental attribut[e]” of arbitration? Ante, at 9. The majority does not explain. And it is unlikely to be able to trace its present view to the history of the arbitration statute itself.

When Congress enacted the Act, arbitration procedures had not yet been fully developed. Insofar as Congress considered detailed forms of arbitration at all, it may well have thought that arbitration would be used primarily where merchants sought to resolve disputes of fact, not law, under the customs of their industries, where the parties possessed roughly equivalent bargaining power. ref.

Supreme Court Decision in Concepcion v. AT&T: Another Blow to Consumers

In its 5-4 decision in Concepcion, the Court upheld the enforceability of a clause in a consumer contract which required the respective consumer to arbitrate any claim, regardless of how small the claim, and banned the consumer from joining, being part of or starting a class action. The issue was whether such a clause is enforceable or whether it becomes an unconscionable impediment to consumers realistically being able to pursue legitimate claims. The Court held that such a clause, which bans resort to the class action procedure, was enforceable. This is true, according to the Court, even though the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), by its terms, allows one contesting such a clause to assert all of the standard state law defenses to attack its enforceability, including the defense of unconscionably (e.g., the FAA expressly states that an arbitration clause shall be enforceable "save upon such grounds as exist at law or in equity for the revocation of any contract" 9 U.S.C. Sec. 2). That balancing language (or the "savings clause," as it is known) was previously construed to require that arbitration clauses be fair and not constitute an attempt to prevent a party from being able to realistically avail themselves of the remedy.

Before the Supreme Court's Concepcion decision, most Circuit Court of Appeals speaking on the issue (those are the Federal Appeals Courts just below the Supreme Court), such as the Third Circuit and Ninth Circuit, have applied a sensible balancing test. Under that test, if the consumer contract clause which contains a class action ban is a contract with no ability to negotiate the terms and very little or no bargaining power by the consumer, and involves predictably small dollar amounts (e.g., typically under a few hundred dollars), then an arbitration clause preventing consumers from joining together is considered a "remedy-stripping" device. Those courts held that to prevent a group from aggregating their small value claims in a class action is to essentially prevent them from having any remedy and that result is unconscionable. In addition, the potential for a class claim also serves an important public policy purpose as a countervailing force against the otherwise tantalizing tendency by unscrupulous retailers to seek profits through sharp or unconscionable practices.

Class actions also serve to promote diligence and fairness in the retail marketplace because of the deterrent effect the potential of such a suit would have. That deterrent has now been removed and one has to wonder if the Supreme Court has declared open season on consumers. As in other areas, private class action litigation is often a more effective deterrent than governmental agency oversight, which tends to be underfunded, under-staffed, moved to enforcement or non-enforcement based on political whims, or spread too thin to be effective (e.g., witness the SEC's oversight of the financial industry as it expanded into securitization and sale of subprime or junk mortgages).

So What Might the Legacy of This Court Be Concerning Individual Protections?

So here we are, with a Court that seems to find its purpose in removing important protections for the individual or underdog. The decisions of the current Court appear to be forming a pattern that advances corporate America's agenda in dominating the American landscape over individual rights in the employment arena (e.g., the Lilly Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. case); campaign and election influence (the Citizens United v. Federal Elections Commission case); and now, with Concepcion, in the consumer marketplace.

In speaking with a number of middle-class people who work in various professions (lawyers, doctors, teachers, accountants) about their perceptions on this subject, and in conducting an informal survey, I have found that the majority seem to agree with the prediction that this country, within the next 20 years, will be controlled to a large degree by corporations. Individuals will have fewer and fewer rights that are not reliant on the benefits that corporations may deign to provide. This is consistent with studies that confirm the middle class is shrinking and the divide between rich and poor in this country is growing.

One can't help but be reminded of President Eisenhower's farewell speech warning Americans of the dangers of allowing the "military-industrial complex" (his own term) to become too influential. President Eisenhower was hardly a liberal by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps the Justices in the majority here missed that speech. ref.

You raise an interesting point. There was a time and I imagine some folks still do believe illness was/is the work of God.

The same applies when it comes to wealthy people. I think it was Jim Bakker who, when caught having his hand in the financial cookie jar, explained that it's natural for God's people to live well. :)

OTE=Bfgrn;815619]Precedent Yurt...for 86 years the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 was never interpreted to circumvent state laws or strip citizens of class action litigation...until now.

that is not ignoring precedent....your OPINION that it only applies to business contracts has no foundation in law or reality. now...if you can find a case to support your assertion (scotus case) then you would be correct. but since there is no case, they have not ignored precedent and are not engaged in judicial activism. you really have no clue what you're talking about.

Writing about why the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925 pre-empts the California law in question, Justice Scalia demonstrates both his pro-business bias and the selective nature of his brand of originalism.
Contrary to what he suggests, when the law favoring arbitration was enacted, arbitration’s purpose was to resolve disputes between businesses — not businesses and consumers. He doesn’t try to trace his view on class arbitration to the 1925 law because it is mute on the subject. Instead, he provides his own definition of what arbitration should and should not be — with “no meaningful support,” as Justice Breyer writes, in Supreme Court precedent. ref.

you seem to think that if you keep repeating this bullshit that it will become true. your link requires a log on....further, i asked you to provide a citation to the actual law which i linked you to. you did not. and you're full of shit to claim to the dissent said it only applied as between businesses. the arbitration act has been applied to employee contracts, credit card contracts and so on....you're dead wrong and that is why you can't support it with anything other than your OPINION.
The dissenting view certainly mentions it:

Where does the majority get its contrary idea—that individual, rather than class, arbitration is a “fundamental attribut[e]” of arbitration? Ante, at 9. The majority does not explain. And it is unlikely to be able to trace its present view to the history of the arbitration statute itself.

did you read the opinion? i don't think you did...because they explained it very well....just because you and i don't agree with the decision, doesn't mean they didn't explain it. your head in the sand syndrome will suffocate what little brain cells you have.

Back