the truth about Obama visiting troops

evince

Truthmatters
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/msnbc_gets_it_right_mccain_att.php

NBC's Andrea Mitchell reports that there was never a plan for Obama to take the press to Landstuhl, despite the claim by McCain folks and others. The plan was to go with his military aide, retired General Scott Gration. The Pentagon said Gration was off-limits because he had joined the campaign -- violating rules that it not be a political stop.
Obama had gone to see wounded troops in Iraq earlier in the week, without even confirming he'd been there. No press, no pictures. He has done the same when he goes to Walter Reed -- never any press.

side note, did you take a look at the polls on that article?

Pres '08
July 28 RasmussenObama (D) 48%, McCain (R) 45%Pres '08
July 27 Res. 2000Obama (D) 51%, McCain (R) 39%Pres '08
July 27 GallupObama (D) 49%, McCain (R) 40%

Rasmussen is drastically different from the other two

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/msnbc_gets_it_right_mccain_att.php

NBC's Andrea Mitchell reports that there was never a plan for Obama to take the press to Landstuhl, despite the claim by McCain folks and others. The plan was to go with his military aide, retired General Scott Gration. The Pentagon said Gration was off-limits because he had joined the campaign -- violating rules that it not be a political stop.
Obama had gone to see wounded troops in Iraq earlier in the week, without even confirming he'd been there. No press, no pictures. He has done the same when he goes to Walter Reed -- never any press.

Yep after the congressional junket was over when the split up in the middle east. It was a pure political trip after that. Perhaps Obama did not want to use wounded troops for political purposes ?

They talked about this on PBS Sunday.

yes, it made me laugh. Especially given that no matter what spin the Obama camp puts on it.... HE could have gone to visit the troops and decided not to.

So fucking what?

Figures you'd latch onto the McCain "false outrage" bandwagon over this thing.

side note, did you take a look at the polls on that article?

Pres '08
July 28 RasmussenObama (D) 48%, McCain (R) 45%Pres '08
July 27 Res. 2000Obama (D) 51%, McCain (R) 39%Pres '08
July 27 GallupObama (D) 49%, McCain (R) 40%

Rasmussen is drastically different from the other two

Not sure about the middle survey, but the likely reason for the difference in Rasmussen and Gallup is the use of registered voters vs. likely voters.

Gallup is probably the closer one to reality as it uses likely voters rather than the broader registered voters.

So fucking what?

Figures you'd latch onto the McCain "false outrage" bandwagon over this thing.

There is no false outrage emo boy. I simply stated that the Obama camp is trying to spin this as though he couldn't go. That is not the case.

Had he gone on his own, there could have been no spin by the right. Because in not taking the media or his staff, the Reps would not have been able to say he was politicizing the visit.

But please, continue spewing forth your little emo whining... it is amusing.

"Had he gone on his own, there could have been no spin by the right."

Whew - sorry; just spit out my coffee there. Now I have to clean up this mess.

If Obama sneezed there would be spin by the right. There is no scenario imaginable where they would not have spun something on this.

Did you miss the part where he has already visited troops without the media?

Did you miss the part where he had no media planned to go with him?

He nixed one visit because of the political hay the cronies tried to create.

Have you read about Cheneys little debacle about visiting vets?

Did you miss the part where he has already visited troops without the media?

Did you miss the part where he had no media planned to go with him?

He nixed one visit because of the political hay the cronies tried to create.

Have you read about Cheneys little debacle about visiting vets?

No, I did not miss (nor did I suggest) that Obama has never visited troops desh. You are the one that brought up excuse #432. I simply rebutted it.

Who cares if his campaign staff couldn't go? Who cares if the media was originally scheduled to go or not. NOTHING was stopping Obama himself from going. So quit trying to spin it as something else. Bottom line, he could have gone and he chose not to. But by all means, continue harping on this and blow it out of proportion. I am sure that will help.

"Had he gone on his own, there could have been no spin by the right."

Whew - sorry; just spit out my coffee there. Now I have to clean up this mess.

If Obama sneezed there would be spin by the right. There is no scenario imaginable where they would not have spun something on this.

I would spit that shit out too... coffee sucks.

Tell me... what would the spin have been???

"Obama leaves media and staff behind to visit troops?"

Yeah that would have played right into the hands of the Reps.

LMAO.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...injured_vets_tell_pull_dick_cheney_invit.html

Injured vets tell pull Dick Cheney invitation over security demands
By James Gordon Meek
Daily News Washington Bureau

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 11:55 PM

Ceneta/AP

Vice President Cheney was told to get lost by Disabled American Veterans, which had invited him to its convention next month.
WASHINGTON - Vice President Cheney's invitation to address wounded combat veterans next month has been yanked because the group felt his security demands were Draconian and unreasonable.

The veep had planned to speak to the Disabled American Veterans at 8:30 a.m. at its August convention in Las Vegas.

His staff insisted the sick vets be sequestered for two hours before Cheney's arrival and couldn't leave until he'd finished talking, officials confirmed.

"Word got back to us ... that this would be a prerequisite," said the veterans executive director, David Gorman, who noted the meeting hall doesn't have any rest rooms. "We told them it just wasn't acceptable."

So do you think its the outrage McCain is claiming?

No.... I think McCain's ad is ignorant. He should be focusing more on what he is going to do with the economy and in highlighting the fact that his stance on the surge was the correct one and that has led us to a point that we can legitimately talk about drawing down strength in Iraq and freeing it up for Afghanistan. He should also highlight the "all of the above" strategy for decreasing our foreign energy dependence... which Obama is opposed to 50%.

McCain said he was going to run a cleaner campaign. This ad does him no good and it makes him (McCain) look bad in my opinion.

No.... I think McCain's ad is ignorant. He should be focusing more on what he is going to do with the economy and in highlighting the fact that his stance on the surge was the correct one and that has led us to a point that we can legitimately talk about drawing down strength in Iraq and freeing it up for Afghanistan. He should also highlight the "all of the above" strategy for decreasing our foreign energy dependence... which Obama is opposed to 50%.

McCain said he was going to run a cleaner campaign. This ad does him no good and it makes him (McCain) look bad in my opinion.

yes focus on that to cover the fact that his origional stance on the Iraq invasion was dead wrong.

Well, I thought that it was interesting that early on, it was not reported that Obama had visited with wounded troops in Kuwait – on this trip - and also in the US recently, without informing reporters. I finally picked that up in a long piece I read in the Ny Time, buried past many paragraphs of McCain whining about this. I think it’s a disgrace that the media are even giving this play. Mccain is a desperate old man, and in my opinion they feel sorry for him. It appears to have escaped their notice that he could possibly become president. So they edit out his mistakes and report on his nonsense about Obama. Pathetic.

yes, it made me laugh. Especially given that no matter what spin the Obama camp puts on it.... HE could have gone to visit the troops and decided not to.
While I agree with this, and hell I should because I have been saying it since saturday, the McCain campaign did some real dishonest shit today. They show video of Obama shooting hoops with the Troops and say that he would visit troops when he could have the media there, but what they FAILED to tell you, which makes it a lie of ommission in this case, is that the 3 point shot was filmed by a cameraman from AFN which stands for.....anyone ......anyone .....Armed Forces ...anyone, Network. And that the camera man was employed by...anyone the U S ...anyone....anyone. Army. That is right friends and neighbors the army filmed that and McCain tried to claim that Obama brought that camera and all he cared about was on camera contact with the troops. But when you got shit to run on, you have to run on shit.

Back