The unseen costs of government

Timshel

My wife needs a root canal. A few years back, they made it so dentist can't put you under here (maybe it was national) without jumping through a bunch of hoops. So, few of them do it and apparently none that accept our insurance.

I had a root canal, they did not put me under and it really was not all that unpleasant. Honestly, considering that there are some risks with being put under I might not choose it even if everything else were equal. I certainly would not pay much extra just to avoid the discomfort.

But she's a wimp, gets claustrophobic and is just generally a bit neurotic. So she is set on being unconscious through it. Now I will have to pay a considerable amount more thanks to the goddamn government protecting us from making our own medical choices.

I did have one bad experience with a dentist where I would have rather been unconscious. When my wisdom teeth were pulled it seemed like the dentist could not find room for both elbows, inside my mouth. I thought he was going to dislocate my jaw the way he was pushing and shoving in there.

Luckily, my parents who have had numerous problems with their oral health promoted good guidance to my sister and I. Her teeth have been perfect, and my brother and I were given orthodontic care. Aside from a pre-emptive drilling in a defective tooth I had (there was a gap my dentist knew I would never be able to keep clean from infection), only my brother had to deal with cavities, and he's just fucking lazy about some things such as hygeine.

But my mom has had two or three root canals and my dad at least one, and they can be a bitch. We have always received decent coverage under my dad's BlueShield plan, and I've never heard my parents complain about oral surgery, so I'm assuming they have just been lucky.

My wife needs a root canal. A few years back, they made it so dentist can't put you under here (maybe it was national) without jumping through a bunch of hoops. So, few of them do it and apparently none that accept our insurance.

I had a root canal, they did not put me under and it really was not all that unpleasant. Honestly, considering that there are some risks with being put under I might not choose it even if everything else were equal. I certainly would not pay much extra just to avoid the discomfort.

But she's a wimp, gets claustrophobic and is just generally a bit neurotic. So she is set on being unconscious through it. Now I will have to pay a considerable amount more thanks to the goddamn government protecting us from making our own medical choices.

I did have one bad experience with a dentist where I would have rather been unconscious. When my wisdom teeth were pulled it seemed like the dentist could not find room for both elbows, inside my mouth. I thought he was going to dislocate my jaw the way he was pushing and shoving in there.

Yeah. next they'll be wanting to enforce the borders. Damn government! Get a life, dud.

Luckily, my parents who have had numerous problems with their oral health promoted good guidance to my sister and I. Her teeth have been perfect, and my brother and I were given orthodontic care. Aside from a pre-emptive drilling in a defective tooth I had (there was a gap my dentist knew I would never be able to keep clean from infection), only my brother had to deal with cavities, and he's just fucking lazy about some things such as hygeine.

But my mom has had two or three root canals and my dad at least one, and they can be a bitch. We have always received decent coverage under my dad's BlueShield plan, and I've never heard my parents complain about oral surgery, so I'm assuming they have just been lucky.

The point is not the insurance or the quality of care. It's the government's intervention between patient and dentist that is causing this problem.

Yeah. next they'll be wanting to enforce the borders. Damn government! Get a life, dud.

What does that have to do with it? Why is it necessary that the government limit our choices in medical care? Some people prefer to take the relatively small risks associated with anasthesia over the discomfort of the procedure without it.

What does that have to do with it? Why is it necessary that the government limit our choices in medical care? Some people prefer to take the relatively small risks associated with anasthesia over the discomfort of the procedure without it.

Damn government. next they'll be wanting to enforce the boders.

The point is not the insurance or the quality of care. It's the government's intervention between patient and dentist that is causing this problem.

What I meant to convey was that dental, which is a damn hard coverage to get and often damned expensive, has never been problematic for my familiy's overall health plan, so I'm assuming my dad just got lucky and got a sweet deal way back when.

Government regulations I believe are part of the reason why dental plans are so overpriced.

This thread is now worthless without pictures. :D
enfermerafix1.jpg

My dentist has a tall, ample gal for one of his hygienists that used to lean her chest against the top of my head when she cleaned my teeth. I must have fallen asleep and mumbled something suggestive because now I get one of the other hygienists. :(

BTW, that's some serious fail, SM. Apparently you did need help with your damn mouth!! If I had hot boob in my mouth all session long, only to have it taken away, I'd harm myself...

dental.jpg

Back