The unseen costs of government

Uhh please show me which States have prohibition for the administration of general anesthesia. I couldn't find one. Even if there was one, this is not a federal prohibition. It would have been a result of the State Legislature enacting laws, probably in conjunction with the State Dental Board. Since this is commerce the State has a right and duty to protect consumers and the public this would be a legitimate role for government and anyone who thinks other wise is probably insane or an anarcho-libertarian.

I mean what the fuck. If you think regulating how dentist apply general anesthesia is not a proper role for government then hey let's just get rid of the whole medical board and licensing shit all together. I mean I could save a lot of money if we just gave my neighbor, Bruno, the mechanic a dental license and a pair of needle nose pliars. I mean christ just think about all the hidden cost from those evil government bastards regulating medicine. I mean why the hell should I have to pay nearly a quarter of a million for by-pass surgery cause the government says it has to be done by a board certified cardio-vascular surgeon? I know a college kid down the street who just finished dissecting a frog in biology class who say's he'll do it for half that much!

Uhh please show me which States have prohibition for the administration of general anesthesia. I couldn't find one. Even if there was one, this is not a federal prohibition. It would have been a result of the State Legislature enacting laws, probably in conjunction with the State Dental Board. Since this is commerce the State has a right and duty to protect consumers and the public this would be a legitimate role for government and anyone who thinks other wise is probably insane or an anarcho-libertarian.

I did not say it was federal. I said maybe it was.

Abortion has no commercial aspect?

http://www.argyledental.com/anethesiasedation.htm
Only dentists with the General Anesthesia permit are able to deepen sedation to the stage where the a patient is unconscious per existing regulations in Florida.

I don't mind some regulation, but they have made this a very hard to find service and the cost is very prohibitive. I understand there are risks involved as does my wife. There are risks involved in doing it without sedation. Why should the government tell me what risks I may take?

I mean what the fuck. If you think regulating how dentist apply general anesthesia is not a proper role for government then hey let's just get rid of the whole medical board and licensing shit all together.

Yeah, let's do that.

I mean I could save a lot of money if we just gave my neighbor, Bruno, the mechanic a dental license and a pair of needle nose pliars. I mean christ just think about all the hidden cost from those evil government bastards regulating medicine. I mean why the hell should I have to pay nearly a quarter of a million for by-pass surgery cause the government says it has to be done by a board certified cardio-vascular surgeon? I know a college kid down the street who just finished dissecting a frog in biology class who say's he'll do it for half that much!

And what?... I am supposed to believe that you are so stupid that you would do this and need to be protected from yourself? Or is this kind of like southernman's argument where gay cultural influences affect others but not him, i.e., you know better but everybody else is stupid.

I did not say it was federal. I said maybe it was.

Abortion has no commercial aspect?

http://www.argyledental.com/anethesiasedation.htm
Only dentists with the General Anesthesia permit are able to deepen sedation to the stage where the a patient is unconscious per existing regulations in Florida.

I don't mind some regulation, but they have made this a very hard to find service and the cost is very prohibitive. I understand there are risks involved as does my wife. There are risks involved in doing it without sedation. Why should the government tell me what risks I may take?

Yeah, let's do that.

And what?... I am supposed to believe that you are so stupid that you would do this and need to be protected from yourself? Or is this kind of like southernman's argument where gay cultural influences affect others but not him, i.e., you know better but everybody else is stupid.
It's called sarcasm RS. My point being it is a legitimate function of government to regulate medical practices in order to protect the public from fraud, incompetence, substandard practices and conditions, etc,. It may be that your State, in conjunction with your State Dental Board (composed of Dentist) have decided that the risk with general anesthesia and the lack of specialty training for Dentist as Anestesiologist is an unacceptable risk. This is a legitimate role of government.

I should also point out that using this scenario was a poor choice of attempting to show "the hidden cost of government".

Your scenario is, in fact, an excellent example of why cost/benefit analysis are not used in regulating industries/professions like medicine. The regulation for general anesthesia in dentistry was based on protecting human life and health. The impact on your cost was hardly even a consideration and that's the way it ought to be.

There was an organized effort in the local media to make a big deal of a couple mishaps. They are still happening but we hear nothing. I doubt the mishaps are significantly less than they were before, since there was not that great of a risk to begin with.

I bet there are some that have been impacted significantly. Anesthesiologists who can find a little more work, insurance companies that no longer have to pay for the “luxury” and those with severe phobias.

While here in CO, we are pounded by ads for "Sedation Dentistry" where they put you out for even a cleaning.

There was an organized effort in the local media to make a big deal of a couple mishaps. They are still happening but we hear nothing. I doubt the mishaps are significantly less than they were before, since there was not that great of a risk to begin with.

I bet there are some that have been impacted significantly. Anesthesiologists who can find a little more work, insurance companies that no longer have to pay for the “luxury” and those with severe phobias.
I'd have to ask you to site me a link for that as this is just anecdotal evidence and I find it hard to believe that such a decision would be made on such shaky grounds.

Two words. Sedation Dentistry. They give you a little pill and some gas and it is over before you know it. Might want to ask around about that one.

Two words. Sedation Dentistry. They give you a little pill and some gas and it is over before you know it. Might want to ask around about that one.

I don't like it, because I can't get laid by the hot hygienist while I'm unconscious. Unless we fuck before, rather than after, the job...

Back