The way too early look at the 2018 college football season

People should view academic achievement as a matter of personal honor or shame. This is the information age, after all.

If you are a college junior, and someone offers you $15 million to come and play for them right away, you would be a fool to turn that down and stay. Especially if the only way you can pay for that last year is to play college football and risk an injury that could easily cost you your pro career.

If you are a college junior, and someone offers you $15 million to come and play for them right away, you would be a fool to turn that down and stay. Especially if the only way you can pay for that last year is to play college football and risk an injury that could easily cost you your pro career.

I was thinking more in terms of the non-athletes. Obviously, Tim Duncan and Larry Fitzgerald provide different, yet positive, examples of how to reconcile your education and pro-career (Fitz being the more pragmatic of the two).

I was thinking more in terms of the non-athletes. Obviously, Tim Duncan and Larry Fitzgerald provide different, yet positive, examples of how to reconcile your education and pro-career (Fitz being the more pragmatic of the two).

I always see it as a huge positive when an athlete goes back and finishes his degree.

I have a good story about that. When I was a kid, we played a lot of backyard football. We would argue about who got to wear the #12 jersey. We all had one. Joe Namath was our hero. This would have been the mid to late 60s when he was on top of his game. He was a star in Tuscaloosa from when he played at Alabama. But he didn't graduate. Fast forward to 2007. My son is graduating from the University of Alabama. And I find out Joe Namath will be graduating with him. Around 900 students in their cap & gown. He walked up, got his diploma and walked down the aisle to the back. The cool part is that he didn't come back out. He had told the Dean that he didn't want the media nonsense to ruin the graduation day for all those kids. 42 years between leaving college and graduating. And he went from my childhood hero to a classmate of my son.

Do any of those schools, especially Alabama, ever graduate football players? Always found it interesting how a State as Alabama, one of the poorest in the country and one that relys on the Federal dollars, has football coaches as the highest paid employees in the State

This thread isn't about politics, anchovies, it's about college football. :palm:

The overall football player Graduation Success Rate (GSR) for bowl-bound teams improved from 75 percent last year to 77 percent. Three of the four college football playoff teams — Clemson, Oklahoma and Alabama — had “reasonable academic standing,” according to the NCAA report.

Alabama has an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 980 out of 1,000, which ranks them among the top 20.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowlbound-football-players-is-up/

You could have looked that up yourself instead of trolling Solitary's football thread. That you didn't speaks volumes.

Since you brought up the subject, I'll just say that I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that you matriculated, or deserved to if you did, anchovies.

BTW, DEMOCRAT-controlled California has the highest poverty rate in the nation.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-jackson-california-poverty-20180114-story.html

Back