The Whiskey Thread.

Thumper

Verified User
So as I sit here in my basement at my bar having a drink after work I figured I'd ask what yall are drinking.

Yeah. I know. It's 7:27 am here now. But it's my PM.

This evening it's cask strength bourbon on the rocks. Though I peated the corn and rye before mashing so it's got a whisky flavor to it with some subtle notes of acorn and chocolate.

So as I sit here in my basement at my bar having a drink after work I figured I'd ask what yall are drinking.

This evening it's cask strength bourbon on the rocks. Though I peated the corn and rye before mashing so it's got a whisky flavor to it with some subtle notes of acorn and chocolate.

Before I quit drinking years ago, I preferred Crown Royal on ice and Molson.

I am a fan of rye whiskey. Bullit is decent, but I like Old Overholt a bit better.

If yoy haven't already give Templeton rye a chance. It's pretty good and about the same price as Bullit.

Threedee. It's a rare thing for me to crave Irish Whiskey. But it happens sometimes. Redbreast 12 isn't too bad.

I'm more of a bourbon drinker than anything else. My personal favorite is Jefferson's Presidential or Ocean. The presidential isn't too bad price wise for a 21 year old whiskey and I think it's superior to the other higher dollar bourbons. But unlike a lot of the high end stuff they source their distillate.

I haven't had that many whiskies, besides Bulliet Bourbon, Crown Royal, and an expensive scotch I can't remember the name of. I've had my fair share of tequila, and vodka though.

I haven't had that many whiskies, besides Bulliet Bourbon, Crown Royal, and an expensive scotch I can't remember the name of. I've had my fair share of tequila, and vodka though.

I've never been a fan of tequila, but have made some pretty good vodka.

If you're looking to try some new whiskeys there are a lot of moderately priced small batch bourbons now a days. Bookers Uncut and Unfiltered is pretty good. And not too pricy. Around here it goes for between 40 and 60 a fifth. But they do go heavy on the rye in the grain bill so it has a good bit of spice to it. Add that in with being bottled at nearly 140 proof it isn't the best idea for folks that are new to bourbon. J.R. Ewing private reserve is not too bad either. But it's a little heavy on the vanilla notes for my tastes. Though if you like a smooth bourbon then give it a go. And it's reasonably priced at 30 to 40 bucks a fifth.

Last edited:
Is home distilling legal in your country?

The legalities of it depend on which state you live in. To be legal by federal law you need only acquire a fuel alcohol permit.

There is a lot of misinformation about the legalities of distilling your own spirits here in the US.

The legalities of it depend on which state you live in. To be legal by federal law you need only acquire a fuel alcohol permit.

There is a lot of misinformation about the legalities of distilling your own spirits here in the US.

Does a home fuel permit from TTB permit you to make spirits for human consumption?

To the best of my knowledge. It does not become illegal until someone attempts to sell or transport it off their property.

There's always that one guy in a thread isnt there?

Are you telling me you didn't apply for a permit to construct a still? No application was made in your name? No inspection reports exist?

Are you telling me you didn't apply for a permit to construct a still? No application was made in your name? No inspection reports exist?

The federal government does not regulate the ownership of stills. That is up to the states. The only time inspections are required is if you apply for a Distilled Spirits Permit.

Who told you that?

The regulations that were published by the federal and state government.

In my state if you do not have a fuel alcohol permit then you are only allowed to have a 1 gallon still for making essential oils. If you have a fuel alcohol permit then you can have up to a 501 gallon still. No inspection is required unless you have a Distilled Spirits Permit.

Federal law specifically states that you may own a still of any size for any lawful purpose. Be it distilling water, decoration, making essential oils or as a collection. But to distill spirits you need either acquire a FFAP or DSP.

Different states regulate ownership in different ways. Some have no regulations. Others require permits and registration.

The regulations that were published by the federal and state government.

In my state if you do not have a fuel alcohol permit then you are only allowed to have a 1 gallon still for making essential oils. If you have a fuel alcohol permit then you can have up to a 501 gallon still. No inspection is required unless you have a Distilled Spirits Permit.

Federal law specifically states that you may own a still of any size for any lawful purpose. Be it distilling water, decoration, making essential oils or as a collection. But to distill spirits you need either acquire a FFAP or DSP.

Different states regulate ownership in different ways. Some have no regulations. Others require permits and registration.

So nobody told you it is illegal for you to distill spirits for human consumption?

You distill whisky and vodka, don't you?

So nobody told you it is illegal for you to distill spirits for human consumption?

You distill whisky and vodka, don't you?
Vodka is a nutral spirit. Fuel alcohol is a nutral spirit. As for whiskey, to be considered whiskey it would have to be aged and stored a certain way that I can't do as I make fuel alcohol that is sometimes consumed. Though some of my fuel jugs do make it look like whiskey.

Would you like to continue to go round in circles? Pr maybe instead you could actually contribute something to the thread.

Vodka is a nutral spirit. Fuel alcohol is a nutral spirit. As for whiskey, to be considered whiskey it would have to be aged and stored a certain way that I can't do as I make fuel alcohol that is sometimes consumed. Though some of my fuel jugs do make it look like whiskey.

Would you like to continue to go round in circles? Pr maybe instead you could actually contribute something to the thread.

Do you distill and consume alcoholic beverages on your premises?

Back