Time for the Anti-Immigrant crowd to put up or shut up!

zappasguitar

Sounds like Stephen Colbert has a pretty good idea...now let's see how many loud mouthed fools take him up on his offer.

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at http://www.takeourjobs.org, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

According to the Labor Department, three out of four farm workers were born abroad, and more than half are illegal immigrants.

Proponents of tougher immigration laws have argued that farmers have become used to cheap labor and don't want to raise wages enough to draw in other workers.

Those who have done the job have some words of advice for applicants: First, dress appropriately.

During summer, when the harvest of fruits and vegetables is in full swing in California's Central Valley, temperatures hover in the triple digits. Heat exhaustion is one of the reasons farm labor consistently makes the Bureau of Labor Statistics' top ten list of the nation's most dangerous jobs.

Second, expect long days. Growers have a small window to pick fruit before it is overripe.

And don't count on a big paycheck. Farm workers are excluded from federal overtime provisions, and small farms don't even have to pay the minimum wage. Fifteen states don't require farm labor to be covered by workers compensation laws.

Any takers?

"The reality is farmworkers who are here today aren't taking any American jobs away. They work in often unbearable situations," Rodriguez said. "I don't think there will be many takers, but the offer is being made. Let's see what happens."

To highlight how unlikely the prospect of Americans lining up to pick strawberries or grapes, Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" plans to feature the "Take Our Jobs" campaign on July 8.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_en_tv/us_immigration_take_our_jobs

Sounds like Stephen Colbert has a pretty good idea...now let's see how many loud mouthed fools take him up on his offer.

SAN FRANCISCO – In a tongue-in-cheek call for immigration reform, farm workers are teaming up with comedian Stephen Colbert to challenge unemployed Americans: Come on, take our jobs.

Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed — and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them — to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins.

All applicants need to do is fill out an online form under the banner "I want to be a farm worker" at http://www.takeourjobs.org, and experienced field hands will train them and connect them to farms.

According to the Labor Department, three out of four farm workers were born abroad, and more than half are illegal immigrants.

Proponents of tougher immigration laws have argued that farmers have become used to cheap labor and don't want to raise wages enough to draw in other workers.

Those who have done the job have some words of advice for applicants: First, dress appropriately.

During summer, when the harvest of fruits and vegetables is in full swing in California's Central Valley, temperatures hover in the triple digits. Heat exhaustion is one of the reasons farm labor consistently makes the Bureau of Labor Statistics' top ten list of the nation's most dangerous jobs.

Second, expect long days. Growers have a small window to pick fruit before it is overripe.

And don't count on a big paycheck. Farm workers are excluded from federal overtime provisions, and small farms don't even have to pay the minimum wage. Fifteen states don't require farm labor to be covered by workers compensation laws.

Any takers?

"The reality is farmworkers who are here today aren't taking any American jobs away. They work in often unbearable situations," Rodriguez said. "I don't think there will be many takers, but the offer is being made. Let's see what happens."

To highlight how unlikely the prospect of Americans lining up to pick strawberries or grapes, Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" plans to feature the "Take Our Jobs" campaign on July 8.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100624/ap_on_en_tv/us_immigration_take_our_jobs

How does one "Put up of shut-up" exactly, and :gives:?

Get it straight. I corrected your grammar, doughboy.

How does one misspell "or" as "of" unless your fat fingers are really the blame.

Here's an old addage for you Your Tubbiness:

Look before you leap!

Excuse me...

WOW...you corrected my GRAMMAR...you must be SO smart...:good4u:

Nothing gets by you, does it?

This simple minded media stunt proves nothing. The labor market it is already too glutted. Kick out the illegals first, let the wages naturally rise, then we can talk.

Conservatives respect markets right? Market forces? Most conservatives are fascists now, who only believe in markets they can manipulate by paying off nations to abandon their duties to their citizenry.

Excuse me...

WOW...you corrected my GRAMMAR...you must be SO smart...:good4u:

Nothing gets by you, does it?

Says the two ton cow that nothing can get by. I seem to recall you think you had landed a real big scoop when you corrected an error I made your tubbiness (...I had to use it)

I think it's time I make your neg rep comments a part of my sig line? I mean the one where you repeat me about flat"blank" etc...what ya think?:cool:

Can a mod tell me if that's good by the rules???

This simple minded media stunt proves nothing. The labor market it is already too glutted. Kick out the illegals first, let the wages naturally rise, then we can talk.

Conservatives respect markets right? Market forces? Most conservatives are fascists now, who only believe in markets they can manipulate by paying off nations to abandon their duties to their citizenry.

This also ignores the fact that we offer temporay work permits for alien persons who wish to work legally in the US.

Convenient how the pinhead leaves out the most important word that would make the topic accurate....Time for the Anti -<ILLEGAL> Immigrant crowd to put up of shut up!

If I was unemployed, you bet your ass I'd work a farm.

But you're a rarity in America. Someone who doesn't mind hard work and sacrifice. The fact is, most Americans refuse to do that kind of work, so the demand for labor falls upon migrant workers, most of whom are illegal, because we don't have a decent guest-worker program in place for agriculture.

But you're a rarity in America. Someone who doesn't mind hard work and sacrifice. The fact is, most Americans refuse to do that kind of work, so the demand for labor falls upon migrant workers, most of whom are illegal, because we don't have a decent guest-worker program in place for agriculture.

Lazy americans deserve to starve. You sound like a lib.

it's not the kind of work it is. it's the low wage achieved from glutting the labor market through federal duty shirking.

Yes, if I were currently unemployed I would be applying for that. I prefer to feed my family.

Thats the point! If you take one of these jobs you will work hard and still not be able to feed your family in the U.S. But if you live in Mexico the little you earn goes farther. Welcome to economic slavery.

Thats the point! If you take one of these jobs you will work hard and still not be able to feed your family in the U.S. But if you live in Mexico the little you earn goes farther. Welcome to economic slavery.

This post makes no sense. Are you saying thst having a stronger economy and dollar than Mexico has led to economic slavery?

If such were the case they wouldn't come here. Not only are they able to feed themselves, but they have enough left over to send money to people in Mexico too.

Back