Time for the Anti-Immigrant crowd to put up or shut up!

So, we’ve made progress.

I’m ready to move forward; the majority of Democrats are ready to move forward; and I believe the majority of Americans are ready to move forward, but the fact is, without bipartisan support, as we had just a few years ago, we cannot solve this problem.
Reform that brings accountability to our immigration system cannot pass without Republican votes.

That is the political and mathematical reality.

The only way to reduce the risk that this effort will again falter because of politics is if members of both parties are willing to take responsibility for solving this problem once and for all, and, yes, this is an emotional question, and one that lends itself to demagoguery.

It's normal to expect the federal government to repel invasion.

The function of a state is to protect it's CITIZENS above others, not to destroy one class of citizens in favor of another by shirking it's responsibilities to ALL CITIZENS.

All citizens are entitled to the traditional labor market protections of an enforced border. These are the basics of governance, not emotive demagoguery, prez. You are moronic rube. Please impeach yourself and go away.

Time and again, this issue has been used to divide and inflame, and to demonize people, and so the understandable, the natural impulse among those who run for office is to turn away and defer this question for another day, or another year, or another administration.

Despite the courageous leadership in the past shown by many Democrats and some Republicans, including, by the way, my predecessor, President Bush, this has been the custom.

That is why a broken and dangerous system that offends our most basic American values is still in place, but I believe we can put politics aside and finally have an immigration system that’s accountable.

I believe we can appeal not to people’s fears but to their hopes, to their highest ideals, because that’s who we are as Americans.

It’s been inscribed on our nation’s seal since we declared our independence. “E pluribus unum.” Out of many, one.

That is what has drawn the persecuted and impoverished to our shores. That’s what led the innovators and risk-takers from around the world to take a chance here in the land of opportunity.

That’s what has led people to endure untold hardships to reach this place called America.

Time and again, this issue has been used to divide and inflame, and to demonize people, and so the understandable, the natural impulse among those who run for office is to turn away and defer this question for another day, or another year, or another administration.

Despite the courageous leadership in the past shown by many Democrats and some Republicans, including, by the way, my predecessor, President Bush, this has been the custom.

That is why a broken and dangerous system that offends our most basic American values is still in place, but I believe we can put politics aside and finally have an immigration system that’s accountable.

I believe we can appeal not to people’s fears but to their hopes, to their highest ideals, because that’s who we are as Americans.

It’s been inscribed on our nation’s seal since we declared our independence. “E pluribus unum.” Out of many, one.

That is what has drawn the persecuted and impoverished to our shores. That’s what led the innovators and risk-takers from around the world to take a chance here in the land of opportunity.

That’s what has led people to endure untold hardships to reach this place called America.

The governments responsibility it's to it's CURRENT citizens first. It's job is NOT to create a business zone that churns in new populations to glut the labor pool in a perpetual race to the bottom condition for labor. A government with this goal is illegitimate, as it is at odds with obligations to protect the lives and opportunities of it's citizens in the present, not the future.

Our task then is to make our national laws actually work, to shape a system that reflects our values as a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants, and that means being honest about the problem, and getting past the false debates that divide the country rather than bring it together.

For example, there are those in the immigrants’ rights community who have argued passionately that we should simply provide those who are here illegally with legal status, or at least ignore the laws on the books and put an end to deportation until we have better laws, and often this argument is framed in moral terms.

You know.... Ya gotta wonder about the mentality of someone who would clone Obama and continue to post here with the moniker. It was understandable just after the election, when everyone had such high hopes for him, and all the little pinheads were giddy and all, but NOW? Really? I mean... when you're logging in, doesn't your stomach get queasy and don't you feel a little cruddy about it? Is it really all that much fun to pretend you are the worst president in history? Hell, at this point, I think I would have at least switched to Jimmuh Carter!

True!

That’s fine.

I’m the President, the buck stops with me.

Now, we haven’t been perfect. That’s for sure.

Michelle could have warned you, I’m not perfect, but I want you to know is that every single thing we are trying to accomplish, every policy we put in place, every day that I go to work, it’s about restoring a sense of security for the middle class and renewing the American Dream for folks like you, because you’re the ones who inspired me to run.

Whether you support me or not, it’s families like yours that I spend my time thinking about.

When I took office, the first thing we had to do was mount an aggressive response to the worst economic crisis we'd seen since the Great Depression, because we didn’t want a second Great Depression, and let’s face it, some of the steps we took were unpopular.

I didn’t like them.

Nobody wanted to have to fix the financial system.

That wasn’t part of what I ran on.

I ran on making sure we regulated the financial system, but I didn’t run on having to make sure it didn’t collapse, but I also knew that some of the things we did were the right thing to do in order to make sure that the situation didn’t get worse.

But it’s a great honor to be your President.

Now, having said that, one of the toughest parts about it is you don’t get out as much as you used to.

You're in what they call the bubble. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is a very nice bubble.

The White House is a great place to work.

I live above the store so it’s a easy commute. I see my girls off to school every morning. I can always go, no matter how late I’m working, I can have dinner with my girls at night, and that’s a great, that’s a great thing, but it does mean I just can’t walk around and visit folks and run into them at the grocery store as easily as I used to, and so you lose something.

And as you remember, it wasn’t that long ago when I was driving around in a van or a bus and introducing myself to people and shaking hands, only to hear them say as I walked away, “Who was that guy again?” “How do you say his name?”

You put your trust in me.

I don’t intend to let you down, and if we can summon resolve together and work together, I know we’re going to come through these difficult times and we are going to emerge stronger and more secure and more ready than ever to write that next great chapter in American history.

don't forget the free care at hospitals fobbed off onto the american public. That's an incentive. No doubt it's good deal. that doesn't make it fair to americans. The companies win both ways. Tax paying americans lose both ways.

globalization zealotry = fascism.
You forgot education in their own language.

Back