Troopergate report: Palin abused power

True dat! He actually cleared her of ANY wrong doing. Nuff said huh?

Soc - What's your take on the conflicting findings? First, that Palin violated the state ethics act but second that her termination of Monegan was lawful because the governor can hire and fire in violation of state ethics laws?

My initial impression was that it is a crock of shit, but maybe that's just because the reasoning isn't spelled out clearly enough. I could understand if the report concluded that the state ethics law, a statute cannot overrule the constitutional authority of the governor, but that doesn't sit right with me either. It would seem to me that the legislature can set some rough boundaries on the governors exercise of her constitutional authority by prohibiting terminations in violation of state ethics law.

It just doesn't sit right with me.

The investigation was instigated by 10 republicans and 5 democrats and the report was overseen by 12, 6 dems and 6 republicans. Republicans run Alaska.

Maybe you didn't read or understand the beginning of the report....
"SCOPE OF THE INVESTIGATION"

The Consultant, Mr. Branchflower, conducted the investigation alone...
he alone came to his conclusions
he alone made a report to the Legislature
he alone made recommendations to the Legislature

he is a partisan ...

Soc - What's your take on the conflicting findings? First, that Palin violated the state ethics act but second that her termination of Monegan was lawful because the governor can hire and fire in violation of state ethics laws?

My initial impression was that it is a crock of shit, but maybe that's just because the reasoning isn't spelled out clearly enough. I could understand if the report concluded that the state ethics law, a statute cannot overrule the constitutional authority of the governor, but that doesn't sit right with me either. It would seem to me that the legislature can set some rough boundaries on the governors exercise of her constitutional authority by prohibiting terminations in violation of state ethics law.

It just doesn't sit right with me.
I am going to read the actual report tomorrow sometime. I was first under the impression that what they meant was the way she went about it was a violation of the ethics but not a violation of the law. Now I am going to sign off and go smoke a cigar and drink a beer.

Tough, tough luck. This really saddens me.

Why did they have to announce it late on a Friday? Hope it doesn't get buried...

It's amazing to me... absolutely amazing....

Not too long ago, we had a Governor of Arkansas (I think), who fired two state troopers because they revealed his extramarital affairs during his presidential campaign. Now, we have a Governor of Alaska, who's office supposedly asked for the firing of a state trooper who tasered his son. In the first instance, it was no big deal, the governor was within the law, no harm-no foul... now, suddenly, it's this big huge deal, and people need to go to jail! OMG.... can you say, HYPOCRITES?

I am going to read the actual report tomorrow sometime. I was first under the impression that what they meant was the way she went about it was a violation of the ethics but not a violation of the law. Now I am going to sign off and go smoke a cigar and drink a beer.

Enjoy.

The way I read it the report finds that she (and her husband) impermissible pressured subordinates including Monegan to fire Wooten in violation of state ethics laws and that, although Monegan's refusal to succumb to their actions in violation of the ethics laws was a contributing factor to his termination, the governor is permitted to fire department heads for absolutely any reason under the sun, including unethical reasons.

It's like saying that it is against he law to discriminate against Christians but that because an employee is an employee at will terminating him primarily because he is Christian does not violate the law.

It makes little sense to me.

Not too long ago, we had a Governor of Arkansas (I think), who fired two state troopers because they revealed his extramarital affairs during his presidential campaign. Now, we have a Governor of Alaska, who's office supposedly asked for the firing of a state trooper who tasered his son. In the first instance, it was no big deal, the governor was within the law, no harm-no foul... now, suddenly, it's this big huge deal, and people need to go to jail! OMG.... can you say, HYPOCRITES?

You gonna be okay, Dix? I've been worried about you with the polls & everything else, and now this.....

LOL... Onzies, I am fine and dandy! My underground bunker is fully stocked with enough supplies to last the next 4 years, including guns and ammo. I am a little worried about you morons who don't seem to have a clue as to what is coming, and think it's just going to be one big liberal party after the election. But, it's okay... you'll find out soon enough, and there is really nothing else I can do to warn you. Some people are too stupid for their own good, and ultimately get what they deserve. I hope yours is swift and painless.

Oh goodie, a civil war..... just what the doctor ordered. I'll be on vacation and won't be back until after the carnage. As an independent, I've been given immunity from participation in this conflict. :cof1:

Oh goodie, a civil war..... just what the doctor ordered. I'll be on vacation and won't be back until after the carnage. As an independent, I've been given immunity from participation in this conflict. :cof1:

better leave the country and hope the war does not devolve into scorched earth

Maybe you didn't read or understand the beginning of the report....
"SCOPE OF THE INVESTIGATION"

The Consultant, Mr. Branchflower, conducted the investigation alone...
he alone came to his conclusions
he alone made a report to the Legislature
he alone made recommendations to the Legislature

he is a partisan ...

so what were the other members of the commission doing, ignoring the whole thing

they were both wrong, but may have been acting within the limits of their authority

no good deed goes unpunished apparently - so a perk of the office is that you get to piss on anyone that pisses on you or that you plain do not like

would you want either person in line for the white house

abuse of power is just that, an abuse and should not be condoned

That's WWIII you speak of, which is right around the corner.

i think the early christians were more communistic - they shared most everything or should i say more communal

personally, i think most of the old testament should be thrown out (except the song of solomon or song of songs) and some of psalms

they were both wrong, but may have been acting within the limits of their authority

no good deed goes unpunished apparently - so a perk of the office is that you get to piss on anyone that pisses on you or that you plain do not like

would you want either person in line for the white house

abuse of power is just that, an abuse and should not be condoned

Well said!

Back