Trump Goes Off The Rails In Midnight Attack On 'Highly Overrated Jewish Governor'

I surmise that what you say here was what Dump's handlers are plotting as a spin, because Dump just flies off the cuff constantly revealing what a vile POS he is.
Not to repeat my other response but I'll respond this way. There are two different things at play here.

1) All votes in this country are fair game. No political party owns an exclusive right to the vote of any individual or group. Now just because a politician or political party spends time and/or resources trying to win certain votes doesn't mean they will get them, but it is their right to do so.

Polls show Jewish people have historically leaned/voted Democratic. But they aren't monolithic and they don't vote 100% for Democrats. So they are fair game just like anyone else. And if you're a Republican trying to win the Jewish vote showing your support for Israel is probably a good place to start. And that is what Trump is doing here

2) how one goes about the above comes into play and in typical Trump fashion he tends to say very little that doesn't get people worked up - sometimes it works for him, often it works against him

No, that is not what I'm saying - at all.

This is the line I responded to: "Trump thinks Jewish people only care about Israel, he doesn't see them as Americans who care about healthcare, pro-choice, gun control, etc."

Re-read what I wrote again in that context. He's going after those voters for whom Israel is at the top of the list in hopes to picking off some. That's politics. When Kamala Harris is trying to win over Republican voters do you think she's talking about issues? No, she's talking about their dislike of Trump. When I was young and out of school I belonged to center-right leaning tech group in SF. When Newsom was running for Mayor he came and spoke to us and of course he focused on the areas that he thought would appeal to us most - which makes total sense. In such an environment why focus on the area's of differences?

My reference to Trump not getting the Jewish votes he's targeting but also losing some is in regard's to his comment, calling Shapiro a Jewish Governor. It's one thing to focus on Israel it's another to speak in the way he did
I have a few comments. First, Trump is not capable of the political calculus you’ve credited him with. If you say something bad about Trump, he will denigrate you in the most hateful way possible. If there is a political calculus to that, it is that his supporters are as ignorant and hateful as he is. He always attacks a person either by attacking a group they belong to or attacking their appearance. Second, his words have impact beyond swaying voters. He has given his supporters permission to commit violence. How many people have received death threats because of the things he says. Lastly, there is zero room and there should be zero tolerance for the things he says. Pretending he is some calculating politician is beyond naive. There is one and only one right response to the things he says. Full throated unequivocal condemnation. Full stop. Anything that you say that excuses or justifies in any manner what he said is defending him. That’s the place I’m coming from and nothing you’ve said here has changed my mind.

I have a few comments. First, Trump is not capable of the political calculus you’ve credited him with. If you say something bad about Trump, he will denigrate you in the most hateful way possible. If there is a political calculus to that, it is that his supporters are as ignorant and hateful as he is. He always attacks a person either by attacking a group they belong to or attacking their appearance. Second, his words have impact beyond swaying voters. He has given his supporters permission to commit violence. How many people have received death threats because of the things he says. Lastly, there is zero room and there should be zero tolerance for the things he says. Pretending he is some calculating politician is beyond naive. There is one and only one right response to the things he says. Full throated unequivocal condemnation. Full stop. Anything that you say that excuses or justifies in any manner what he said is defending him. That’s the place I’m coming from and nothing you’ve said here has changed my mind.
I'm going to make this a general comment and not directed at you because this is a discussion and I'm not trying to make it a personal thing.

I've stated my position here before, I'm a lifelong Republican who has not voted for Trump either time and will not do so this year. I do not like him or support what he's done to my party. We live in a very tribal political world and I've gotten sh*t from Republican friends in the real world for not backing Trump. To be honest, it's not all that much fun.

So I don't back Trump and a lot of what he says. That said, I also follow politics and many liberals who complain about Trump and what he says often have little issue (at least that they'll state) when fellow liberals make racist, antisemitic or calls/references for violence comments. I live in the real world enough to not expect people to be 100% even handed but we're not talking anything even close to that.

I am not defending Trump. I am saying there is a large element of people on their high horses whose principles only go as far as involving Trump.

Donald Trump fired off an angry middle-of-the-night attack on “highly overrated Jewish Governor” Josh Shapiro after he spoke out against the former president at the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday night.

Trump said Shapiro ― who, as Pennsylvania’s governor, has no foreign policy role ― “has done nothing for Israel and never will.”

He also claimed that Vice President Kamala Harris “hates Israel” and hopes “that it will fail.”

Critics slammed the former president for a post many said was brimming with antisemitism:

Trump thinks Jewish people only care about Israel, he doesn't see them as Americans who care about healthcare, pro-choice, gun control, etc.

Guano the dupe,
Trump's son-in-law is Jewish
Trump's daughter converted to Judaism
Previously restricted, Trump opened his golf clubs to Blacks and Jews
Get a clue. You are batting for the wrong team.

I'm going to make this a general comment and not directed at you because this is a discussion and I'm not trying to make it a personal thing.

I've stated my position here before, I'm a lifelong Republican who has not voted for Trump either time and will not do so this year. I do not like him or support what he's done to my party. We live in a very tribal political world and I've gotten sh*t from Republican friends in the real world for not backing Trump. To be honest, it's not all that much fun.

So I don't back Trump and a lot of what he says. That said, I also follow politics and many liberals who complain about Trump and what he says often have little issue (at least that they'll state) when fellow liberals make racist, antisemitic or calls/references for violence comments. I live in the real world enough to not expect people to be 100% even handed but we're not talking anything even close to that.

I am not defending Trump. I am saying there is a large element of people on their high horses whose principles only go as far as involving Trump.
You and I have a fundamental disagreement about the threat posed by Trump. I’m sorry but silence is assent. If you think that me calling out this guy on his hate speech is getting on my high horse, so be it. When you show me any Democrat who is engaged in hate speech I will not hesitate to call them out. I unequivocally condemned those assaulting and harassing Jewish students. I unequivocally condemned those who burned buildings and assaulted police officers during the George Floyd protests. I have been critical of ‘the squad’ on those occasions I felt it warranted. That said, the hate speech is coming almost exclusively from the Republican Party. It is happening in state capitols, in city councils, on election boards and school boards. It has infected the party like a cancer and claiming that it is just politics and both sides do it is a fabrication . There is no equivalence here. None.

Not to repeat my other response but I'll respond this way. There are two different things at play here.

1) All votes in this country are fair game. No political party owns an exclusive right to the vote of any individual or group. Now just because a politician or political party spends time and/or resources trying to win certain votes doesn't mean they will get them, but it is their right to do so.

Polls show Jewish people have historically leaned/voted Democratic. But they aren't monolithic and they don't vote 100% for Democrats. So they are fair game just like anyone else. And if you're a Republican trying to win the Jewish vote showing your support for Israel is probably a good place to start. And that is what Trump is doing here

2) how one goes about the above comes into play and in typical Trump fashion he tends to say very little that doesn't get people worked up - sometimes it works for him, often it works against him
Bottom line: all Jews are not zionist or down with Netanyahu's corrupt gov't. Trump is a bigot and racist who will cozy up to an axe murderer if he thinks it adds to his false bravado as a highly intelligent and "strong man". He's also has no problem with Jewish folk as long as they are wealthy and/or servicing him ... examples being his mentor Roy Cohn and his son-in-law Kushner). His statement revealed who he is. End of story.

Back