Tucker Carlson, the fired Fox News star, makes bid for relevance with Putin interview

Guno צְבִי;5896339 said:
The right-wing television provocateur Tucker Carlson interviewed Vladimir Putin in Moscow in an exchange fueling both the Russian president's anti-Ukrainian rhetoric and Carlson's drive for renewed relevance in his post-Fox career.

It is the first interview Putin has granted to an American since the Russian invasion two years ago.

The pairing should not come as a surprise. Carlson has routinely been lionized by Kremlin propaganda outlets; his clips attacking the Biden administration's support for Ukraine have been routinely rebroadcast, for example. Russian media has fawned over Carlson this week, giving his comings and goings in Moscow a treatment akin to U.S. media's coverage of Taylor Swift.

Carlson filmed a video to promote the interview on the rooftop of the Ritz Carlton Hotel near the Red Square, a location that, according to Russian journalist Yevgenia Albats, spoke volumes of the regard the Kremlin held for Carlson.

Its roof is controlled by one of the KGB's successors, the Federal Security Service," she posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. "No one of us, and no one other foreign journalist, except for Oliver Stone, had that luxury of reporting from the roof top."

Few have done more than Carlson to lift up the Russian leader as a figure of admiration in Republican circles, just as he has propelled the otherwise relatively obscure Viktor Orban, Hungary's autocratic leader, to star status.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/08/1230024588/tucker-carlson-putin-interview-video

I read the first dozen paragraphs of David Folkenflik's NPR article. Having listened to both Tucker Carlson and Vladimir Putin in the past, as well as having seen the entire 2 hour interview beforehand, I strongly disagreed with his characterization of both Tucker's reason for doing the interview as well as his views on Putin's statements. I've also now read an article on the interview from Cynthia Chung, an author who I've come to greatly respect. My thoughts on her article can be seen here:

On President Putin's Interview with Tucker Carlson | justplainpolitics.com

184 million views on X alone.....ya....Guno is lying yet again.

If you're referring to the title of this thread, Guno just copied that from the article he cites in the opening post. As to the author who wrote the article, I do believe that he's either lying or just ignorant of how relevant Tucker is in today's media landscape. I had a bunch of emails from journalists' mailing lists talking about his interview with Putin in my inbox. I know that at least some of them thought that Tucker's interview style could have used a bit of work, but all of them also thought it was a good thing he did the interview and that Putin's responses were quite informative.

If you're referring to the title of this thread, Guno just copied that from the article he cites in the opening post. As to the author who wrote the article, I do believe that he's either lying or just ignorant of how relevant Tucker is in today's media landscape. I had a bunch of emails from journalists' mailing lists talking about his interview with Putin in my inbox. I know that at least some of them thought that Tucker's interview style could have used a bit of work, but all of them also thought it was a good thing he did the interview and that Putin's responses were quite informative.

Tucker's influence has faded a lot since Fox canned him.

Tucker's influence has faded a lot since Fox canned him.

If you exclusively (or almost exclusively) see mainstream media, I can see how that could be true. If you're not one with the hive mind, you're a pariah type thing. But not all of us watch much mainstream media. About the only mainstream media I've watched for years are comedy shows from time to time, mainly John Oliver and Stephen Colbert. From the perspective of those who have all but renounced the mainstream media, Tucker is quite influential. As I mentioned previously, I got a lot of posts from journalist mailing lists on Tucker's interview with Putin.

Guno צְבִי;5896339 said:
The right-wing television provocateur Tucker Carlson interviewed Vladimir Putin in Moscow in an exchange fueling both the Russian president's anti-Ukrainian rhetoric and Carlson's drive for renewed relevance in his post-Fox career.

It is the first interview Putin has granted to an American since the Russian invasion two years ago.

The pairing should not come as a surprise. Carlson has routinely been lionized by Kremlin propaganda outlets; his clips attacking the Biden administration's support for Ukraine have been routinely rebroadcast, for example. Russian media has fawned over Carlson this week, giving his comings and goings in Moscow a treatment akin to U.S. media's coverage of Taylor Swift.

Carlson filmed a video to promote the interview on the rooftop of the Ritz Carlton Hotel near the Red Square, a location that, according to Russian journalist Yevgenia Albats, spoke volumes of the regard the Kremlin held for Carlson.

Its roof is controlled by one of the KGB's successors, the Federal Security Service," she posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. "No one of us, and no one other foreign journalist, except for Oliver Stone, had that luxury of reporting from the roof top."

Few have done more than Carlson to lift up the Russian leader as a figure of admiration in Republican circles, just as he has propelled the otherwise relatively obscure Viktor Orban, Hungary's autocratic leader, to star status.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/08/1230024588/tucker-carlson-putin-interview-video

Tucker made an excellent Russian Poodle. :thup:

If you exclusively (or almost exclusively) see mainstream media, I can see how that could be true. If you're not one with the hive mind, you're a pariah type thing. But not all of us watch much mainstream media. About the only mainstream media I've watched for years are comedy shows from time to time, mainly John Oliver and Stephen Colbert. From the perspective of those who have all but renounced the mainstream media, Tucker is quite influential. As I mentioned previously, I got a lot of posts from journalist mailing lists on Tucker's interview with Putin.

Translation: All the fringe groups love Tucker Carlson because he sucks up to Putin.

8fhsl3.jpg

What hive are you in? You are packing in right-wing cliches. His audience is a lot smaller and crazier than it was at Fox. I can see what made you follow him to crazy land. You do know he hates Trump with a passion, don't you?

What hive are you in? You are packing in right-wing cliches. His audience is a lot smaller and crazier than it was at Fox. I can see what made you follow him to crazy land. You do know he hates Trump with a passion, don't you?

She's a pro-Russian Canuck.

Back