Turkey and Saudi Arabia's new rendezvous with – Reawakening, Reformation an

Start a thread about it.

I already have and you obviously dont care or you would comment on it.

It makes you feel noble to discuss how much better we are than Saudi Arabia in our treatment of women but have nothing to feel noble about when it comes to treating our troops with the dignity they deserve.

I see institutionalizing the fears of muslim men in the name of empowerment as a dangerous retrogade nation. What's next? all woman companies? This is discrimination. You cannot fight paranoia with further injustice and gender discrimination.

A step forward would be women being allowed to go where they want with whom they want. Creating little MALE FREE zones is bunch of hooey.

The idea is modernizing Islam. The concept of a hotel for women still accommodates Islamic law while allowing women a very small measure of freedom.

I already have and you obviously dont care or you would comment on it.

It makes you feel noble to discuss how much better we are than Saudi Arabia in our treatment of women but have nothing to feel noble about when it comes to treating our troops with the dignity they deserve.

Geez, is posting the link to it too much trouble for little deshie?

Moreover, I don't recall posting anything condescending towards Saudi women - except for the wife #1 comment. Sooooooooo, either bring something of substance to this thread or fuck off, idiot.

Last edited:
The idea is modernizing Islam. The concept of a hotel for women still accommodates Islamic law while allowing women a very small measure of freedom.

I see it as the institutionalization of islamic law. But I can see your side, truly. Maybe it's an intermediate step of some kind.

In a society as strict as saudi arabia maybe it's good. But then we have the stories where Islamic women are demanding NO MEN ALLOWED hours at the Harvard gym. Where does it stop? How far do we go so sexist islamic law can be observed?

In a society as strict as saudi arabia maybe it's good. But then we have the stories where Islamic women are demanding NO MEN ALLOWED hours at the Harvard gym. Where does it stop? How far do we go so sexist islamic law can be observed?

But the US isn't Saudi Arabia. I don't have a problem with gender exclusive gyms, but I don't think traditionally co-ed facilities should be forced to accommodate cultural demands of that nature.

It's sad when one countries idea of a protest consists of a small group of women driving a car down a public street.

Change has to be implemented in small increments. The state CAN change laws, but most of the men and religious clerics within their societies need to be reprogrammed as well. Unfortunately society determines what is and isn't acceptable before it becomes the norm.

Well, I mean, think about the death penalty. A plurality of Americans opposed the death penalty before the supreme court put a forced moratorium on it, but after the moratorium was lifted support skyrocketed to huge supermajorities and has stayed there ever since, and opposition has dwindled to the teens. Change must come slowly, and it can't be forced, or else it'll backfire.

Well, I mean, think about the death penalty. A plurality of Americans opposed the death penalty before the supreme court put a forced moratorium on it, but after the moratorium was lifted support skyrocketed to huge supermajorities and has stayed there ever since, and opposition has dwindled to the teens. Change must come slowly, and it can't be forced, or else it'll backfire.

Isn't that what I said...more or less - change in small increments? That is what I meant.

An institutional embrace of islamic law is not an incremental change to anything better.

from their point of view embracing western /Christian values is wrong.
Just as we woulf think it a bit strange if Bush got down on his prayer rug and faced Mecca and prayed...to them it is normal.
It does help to understand if you can see just a bit of the view from the other side.

right and wrong as far as human rights goes does not really figure into the religious equation.
Each religion thinks they are right.

Peaceful coexistance not conversion is the key.

Remove the strife and both will drift together eventually and meet in the middle.

from their point of view embracing western /Christian values is wrong.
Just as we woulf think it a bit strange if Bush got down on his prayer rug and faced Mecca and prayed...to them it is normal.
It does help to understand if you can see just a bit of the view from the other side.

right and wrong as far as human rights goes does not really figure into the religious equation.
Each religion thinks they are right.

Peaceful coexistance not conversion is the key.

Remove the strife and both will drift together eventually and meet in the middle.

What mealy minded mishmash of idiocy. Are you against gender discrimination or not? are you against theocracy or not?

There was an interesting show on the History channel last night about the protestants breaking away from the Catholic church and such. The strife/wars/deaths associated with that process lasted many mnay years and killed up to 40% of Germanys population in a 30 year period.....And all were Christians, just different flavors.

Religion sucks!

Organized religion does suck especially when it tries to be government also.

I would not live in a theocracy but AH you have to realise we dont get to pick what type of government others choose.

What mealy minded mishmash of idiocy. Are you against gender discrimination or not? are you against theocracy or not?

Ohh I am VERY against gender discrimination. But then many islamic women are not against it.
and even fewer islamic men are against it.
Is it my right to force my values on someone else at the edge of a sword ?

Ohh I am VERY against gender discrimination. But then many islamic women are not against it.
and even fewer islamic men are against it.
Is it my right to force my values on someone else at the edge of a sword ?

Am I condoning that? I'm merely criticizing the bizarro logic that institutionalizing shariah paranoia is some kind of reformation. Stop being an imbecile.

Organized religion does suck especially when it tries to be government also.

I would not live in a theocracy but AH you have to realise we dont get to pick what type of government others choose.

But this concept has been presented as some sort of positive step toward reformation of shariah law. I'm saying a deeper institutional embrace of shariah is no reformation.

Back