Tweeking the CFP

Alabama played Mercer. According to the committee themselves that should have kept Bama out....but, but, it's Bama so....they're in. This whole thing is a fucking joke.

Winterborn has admitted he's biased because he's an Alabama fan. Mention something about why a team that actually won their conference championship didn't make the playoffs and he's quick to come back with win/loss records being important. Yet point out that UCF had less losses than Alabama including a win over the time to which Alabama lost, won their conference title, and suddenly some other factor now is important and win/loss records don't mean anything.

What it boils down to is the committee wanted Alabama and had to find a way to bend over, pucker up, and kiss Nick Saban's ass. The funny part is Winterborn is right in that same line putting on Chapstik so as to not blister his lips.

A quick look at Alabama's schedule for 2018 shows two teams (LSU and Auburn) that are real competition. Other than that, no one expects teams like The Citadel, Louisiana, Arkansas, Arkansas St., or Louisville to bring much Alabama's way.

Winterborn has admitted he's biased because he's an Alabama fan. Mention something about why a team that actually won their conference championship didn't make the playoffs and he's quick to come back with win/loss records being important. Yet point out that UCF had less losses than Alabama including a win over the time to which Alabama lost, won their conference title, and suddenly some other factor now is important and win/loss records don't mean anything.

What is boils down to is the committee wanted Alabama and had to find a way to bend over, pucker up, and kiss Nick Saban's ass. The funny part is Winterborn is right in that same line putting on Chapstik so as to not blister his lips.

16 team bracket. Let the kids settle the Natty themselves.

16 team bracket. Let the kids settle the Natty themselves.

The FCS (I-AA) has been doing it for years. Several conferences have automatic bids but above average teams that should get a shot but don't win their conference have a chance to get in. To win that championship, a team has to be consistently good for several weeks not just win one game on one night.

The only reason we have this is because the Bowl Season makes a lot of money and the NCAA thinks a playoff will mess with that. I think they're wrong, we could do a 16 team bracket...have a true National Champion...and it wouldn't mess with the Bowl Season at all. Best of both worlds.
That and the perenial college football powers would have to share revenue.

I was reading some ideas on tweeking the CFP to make it better with out expanding it. The one I liked the best was based on a point system.

Before I explain it let’s go over what we’d want to accomplish.

Have a true national championship. Originally the CFP was intended to give conference championships heavy weight when selecting teams. It only took two years for a rogue committee to undermine that intention and send us back to National Championship by proxy.

Determine playoff teams on the field and not the committee room.

Eliminate subjective polls in the selection process.

Maintain the most meaningful regular season in team sports.

Make non-conference games meaningful to eliminate scheduling disparities.

Place more weight on division and conference championships.

The point system would be fairly simple. Each team wins a point for each victory during the regular season. For each victory against a top 5 conference team an additional point is awarded.

In addition a division champion is awarded 3 additional points and a conference champion is awarded 5 additional points.

This system would punish teams that schedule four weak mid majors as non-conference games and punishes teams that don’t play a conference championship game, as they should be, for playing one less game.

The question of a tie breaker comes up but some objective criteria can be used for that.

OSU had to play an extra game in the conference championship. They beat a higher ranked team and did not get in. Alabama lost to a lower ranked team, didn't play in their conference championship, yet still got in. Winterborn will contend that Alabama only had one loss, thereby, arguing that win/loss is the most important thing while ignoring the importance of a conference championship.

Alabama played Mercer. According to the committee themselves that should have kept Bama out....but, but, it's Bama so....they're in. This whole thing is a fucking joke.

Playing cupcakes keeps you out of the playoffs? I have never heard that.

You know the committee has an online presence? You should probably read what they posted. If you did, you wouldn't say the bullshit about Alabama you do.

16 team bracket.

I have been to the playoff committee website, and have read the criteria for selection, the selection FAQs, and most of the info on the site.

I fail to see anything that would mean Alabama would be disqualified for playing Mercer. Strength of Schedule is one of the criteria, but there is no mention of disqualifying anyone for playing an FCS team. That would narrow the number of teams that are eligible by a significant margin.

It's what gets Alabama in. Start with a high enough ranking, lose to the rare team they play that is good, be "coincidentally" placed in a spot where there is a good chance of those higher ranked losing, and magically get in despite someone having a better record AND a conference championship that ultimately beat the team to which Alabama lost.

UCF was undefeated. In case you can't understand that, they had less losses than Alabama. They won their conference title game, one which Alabama didn't play in for their conference, and beat Auburn.

I have been to the playoff committee website, and have read the criteria for selection, the selection FAQs, and most of the info on the site.

I fail to see anything that would mean Alabama would be disqualified for playing Mercer. Strength of Schedule is one of the criteria, but there is no mention of disqualifying anyone for playing an FCS team. That would narrow the number of teams that are eligible by a significant margin.

You have been on the committee website. You've been too busy kissing Nick Saban's asshole, having biased opinions, and crying over your dead wife.

You know the committee has an online presence? You should probably read what they posted. If you did, you wouldn't say the bullshit about Alabama you do.

16 team bracket.

He's already admitted he's biased. That automatically invalidates any opinion he has.

When someone has a differing opinion about Alabama than he has, he runs like a coward by thread banning.

I noticed Alabama has another bye this week. They're playing the perennial powerhouse Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns.

Just stop right now, you're embarrassing yourself. Mercer wasn't just a cupcake, they were, and are, an FCS team. If you want to compete for a chance at a legitimate Natty you don't play FCS teams. Period.

Just stop right now, you're embarrassing yourself. Mercer wasn't just a cupcake, they were, and are, an FCS team. If you want to compete for a chance at a legitimate Natty you don't play FCS teams. Period.

I simply asked what team you follow.

See, there you go again. I quoted you which means you asked me more than what team I follow.

To your other question, what team I follow? Nunya bidness.

Ok then. Kinda defensive, huh?

Yes, I suggested that every team plays cupcakes. Rutgers may not be a FCS team, but they are most certainly a cupcake team.

Back