Under 9 week until College Football starts again!

I can't believe you are still going on about this.

The athletes are not paid. Yes, they receive scholarships ect, but unless they are paid they are amateurs.

And why is it that the top medical researchers are at Johns Hopkins or Stanford instead of smaller schools? Could it be that they pay professors better and have better facilities?

You are actually equating medical research with college football?

If all the schools competed on equal footing it would be amateur, but they don't, a minority of institutions dedicate themselves to college football and are all in financially, they are starting the season standing on third base

It is semipro, the more you spend, the greater your results, just like NASCAR, money is the common denominator to sucess

You are actually equating medical research with college football?

If all the schools competed on equal footing it would be amateur, but they don't, a minority of institutions dedicate themselves to college football and are all in financially, they are starting the season standing on third base

It is semipro, the more you spend, the greater your results, just like NASCAR, money is the common denominator to sucess

I am equating spending more and getting better results.

And actually, the college athletes are held to stricter standards than other college students. My son went to school on a full scholarship. He was an Aerospace Engineering major, and got both his BS and masters degree with no money out of his pocket and no student loans. He also worked while in school. One was a research job and another was a part-time job off campus. Athletes cannot do that.

If you do not financially support the football program, it obviously is not a priority. So the fact that you have trouble competing with programs that do support their football program is not a surprise.

And if you only provide some support, and don't go to bowls every year, your investment is flushed down the toilet. Those who are "all in" reap the rewards. Their money is an investment.

You can keep trying to say it is semi-pro ball. But the fact is it is amateur and it is not going away.

I am equating spending more and getting better results.

And actually, the college athletes are held to stricter standards than other college students. My son went to school on a full scholarship. He was an Aerospace Engineering major, and got both his BS and masters degree with no money out of his pocket and no student loans. He also worked while in school. One was a research job and another was a part-time job off campus. Athletes cannot do that.

If you do not financially support the football program, it obviously is not a priority. So the fact that you have trouble competing with programs that do support their football program is not a surprise.

And if you only provide some support, and don't go to bowls every year, your investment is flushed down the toilet. Those who are "all in" reap the rewards. Their money is an investment.

You can keep trying to say it is semi-pro ball. But the fact is it is amateur and it is not going away.

You believe that, "college athletes are held to stricker standards.......?" Your son wasn't taking courses in Sports Management nor some other unexplainable major, and the retention rate for engineering probably isn't as high as that for scholarship football players at those "top ten schools"

It is not about how a school gets money, although it sure is a lot easier for State financed institutions, which explains why your top ten is largely State schools, but rather how they finance their priorities. If you want a top ten football team, you got to spend the bucks, the more you spend the higher the probability you will be sucessful. Common sense, not about amateur competition, but buying an advantage, as I keep saying, like NASCAR, except they don't pay the drivers

The money factor makes it semipro, and I never said it should go away, I just recognize it for what it is, it is a commercial entity, the top ten are products, it is not amateur competition

You believe that, "college athletes are held to stricker standards.......?" Your son wasn't taking courses in Sports Management nor some other unexplainable major, and the retention rate for engineering probably isn't as high as that for scholarship football players at those "top ten schools"

It is not about how a school gets money, although it sure is a lot easier for State financed institutions, which explains why your top ten is largely State schools, but rather how they finance their priorities. If you want a top ten football team, you got to spend the bucks, the more you spend the higher the probability you will be sucessful. Common sense, not about amateur competition, but buying an advantage, as I keep saying, like NASCAR, except they don't pay the drivers

The money factor makes it semipro, and I never said it should go away, I just recognize it for what it is, it is a commercial entity, the top ten are products, it is not amateur competition

The idea that all football players major in Sports Mgmt is laughable. Alabama has had a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, at least 6 graduate cum laude, and an offensive lineman graduate with a degree in Accounting with a 4.0 GPA. The graduation rate for the Univ of Alabama football team is better than the national average for all students.

How is it easier with a state financed school? The pay for the head coach (the really big money) is partly endorsements.

And the number 5 team is a private school.

Here is a scary trend for those who want to see the Crimson Tide lose.

Since 2008, when Alabama lost badly in a season, the next year they won the National Championship.

In 2008 Alabama lost to Florida & Tim Tebow in the SEC Championship and then were humiliated by Utah in the bowl game (17-31).
In 2009 Alabama beat Florida & Tebow in the SEC Championship and went undefeated to win the NC.

In 2010 Alabama lost 3 games (S.Carolina, LSU and auburn). The worst season in the last 10 years.
In 2011 Alabama only had one loss, an OT loss to LSU. They went 12-1 and won the NC.

In 2014 Alabama made the playoffs, but were beaten by Ohio State in the semifinal.
In 2015 Alabama went 14-1 and won the NC.

In 2016 Alabama lost a close game for the Championship to Clemson (31-35).
In 2017 Alabama destroyed Clemson (24-6) and beat Georgia in an OT thriller to win the NC.

The exception to all of this was the 2013 season, which saw Alabama lose to auburn in a freakishly rare play and then get beaten by Oklahoma (31-45) in the bowl game.

Will this season see Bama rise to the occasion? I think so.

Here is a scary trend for those who want to see the Crimson Tide lose.

Since 2008, when Alabama lost badly in a season, the next year they won the National Championship.

In 2008 Alabama lost to Florida & Tim Tebow in the SEC Championship and then were humiliated by Utah in the bowl game (17-31).
In 2009 Alabama beat Florida & Tebow in the SEC Championship and went undefeated to win the NC.

In 2010 Alabama lost 3 games (S.Carolina, LSU and auburn). The worst season in the last 10 years.
In 2011 Alabama only had one loss, an OT loss to LSU. They went 12-1 and won the NC.

In 2014 Alabama made the playoffs, but were beaten by Ohio State in the semifinal.
In 2015 Alabama went 14-1 and won the NC.

In 2016 Alabama lost a close game for the Championship to Clemson (31-35).
In 2017 Alabama destroyed Clemson (24-6) and beat Georgia in an OT thriller to win the NC.

The exception to all of this was the 2013 season, which saw Alabama lose to auburn in a freakishly rare play and then get beaten by Oklahoma (31-45) in the bowl game.

Will this season see Bama rise to the occasion? I think so.
I’m kind of excited for football this year. KU may have a team this year.

Coach Miles is a great coach. He is crazy as a loon, but is lucky when he needs it.

I'm interested to see how KU does.

I know they should have a helluva running game.
Good Luck to Bama, I know how it is to have a team everyone hates on because you are consistently good.

The idea that all football players major in Sports Mgmt is laughable. Alabama has had a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship, at least 6 graduate cum laude, and an offensive lineman graduate with a degree in Accounting with a 4.0 GPA. The graduation rate for the Univ of Alabama football team is better than the national average for all students.

How is it easier with a state financed school? The pay for the head coach (the really big money) is partly endorsements.

And the number 5 team is a private school.

We know, and you can cite the statistics published by the University of Alabama to prove it, "Alabama has not reported the majors in its media guides for several years out of a concern for student privacy (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article32588019.html#storylink=cpy).

"Here are the 10 most popular majors among the 13 available schools in the SEC:"

Sport management: 96
General/interdisciplinary/university studies: 87
Kinesiology: 65
Sociology/social and behavioral sciences: 56
Communication: 42
Liberal arts (enrolled in school): 39
Human science and education: 36
Education: 34
Criminology/criminal justice: 32
Management: 31

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-for-2016-power-5-conference-football-players

Private schools don't have access to State financing, and I really got to explain the reason why that school is no#5?

Good Luck to Bama, I know how it is to have a team everyone hates on because you are consistently good.

I don't think it is hate dude!

I think it is more of Alabama having such a cakewalk season schedule that people have a problem with!

That's lucky enough already for them!

I don't think it is hate dude!

I think it is more of Alabama having such a cakewalk season schedule that people have a problem with!

That's lucky enough already for them!

This year starts easier than most we have had, that is true. But we still have 3 or 4 ranked teams on our schedule. Most teams don't have significantly more than that.

By comparison, Clemson only has 1 or 2 ranked teams on their regular schedule (depending on the poll).

Ohio State has 4 ranked teams in their regular schedule.

Now, admittedly, we don't have the big out-of-conference game to start the season like we have in most years since Saban got here. But this idea that Alabama plays a cakewalk schedule while everyone else plays murders row is laughable.

This year starts easier than most we have had, that is true. But we still have 3 or 4 ranked teams on our schedule. Most teams don't have significantly more than that.

By comparison, Clemson only has 1 or 2 ranked teams on their regular schedule (depending on the poll).

Ohio State has 4 ranked teams in their regular schedule.

Now, admittedly, we don't have the big out-of-conference game to start the season like we have in most years since Saban got here. But this idea that Alabama plays a cakewalk schedule while everyone else plays murders row is laughable.

Hey sorry I didn't mean to pick on Alabama alone. You make a good point that several of these top ten teams do have cakewalks as well.

Texas A & M did have a good draft, and this year, they may very well be able to compete for a change.

But, I don't want to hex them by getting all giddy giddy about it. And just look at their tough schedule- including Clemson!

It may be interesting watching them get to play Bama at home this year- Home of the 12 Man team! LOL!

Hey good luck in 2019 though!

Back