Unions: why they suck

tinfoil

Banned
I happened onto this video in a comments section of a news story about corrupt unions and an Oregon official. I think it lays some very good explanations of why unions suck. It's a Target stores video fro employees. LOL

Please feel free to refute the video.

I happened onto this video in a comments section of a news story about corrupt unions and an Oregon official. I think it lays some very good explanations of why unions suck. It's a Target stores video fro employees. LOL

Without watching the video let me say that you, like the curate, are partialy right. Some unions suck just as some schools suck, some states suck, some republicans suck, some democrats suck.
BUT, a union managed well and working for the good of its members not only does not 'suck', it contributes to the health and welfare of its members and the success and profitability of its industry. You, clearly, have either a bad experience or a poor grasp of reality.

Without watching the video let me say that you, like the curate, are partialy right. Some unions suck just as some schools suck, some states suck, some republicans suck, some democrats suck.
BUT, a union managed well and working for the good of its members not only does not 'suck', it contributes to the health and welfare of its members and the success and profitability of its industry. You, clearly, have either a bad experience or a poor grasp of reality.

Which unions would those be?

which unions do you have direct (membership and involvement) of?

What I was asking is in response to your post:

...BUT, a union managed well and working for the good of its members not only does not 'suck', it contributes to the health and welfare of its members and the success and profitability of its industry. You, clearly, have either a bad experience or a poor grasp of reality.

What I was asking is in response to your post:

and I was trying to establish whether or not you had experience and therefore were likely to understand my answer.
Most (many) critics of the union movement have little or no actual experience of how unions work and what they do, so should you be among those people, no answer I gave would have been acceptable to you.
Most posts I have seen of yours suggest that you have a closed and basically right wing view of the world. That is sad and precludes sensible and open discussion.

What a hack joke this video is.

Definately the later!

and I was trying to establish whether or not you had experience and therefore were likely to understand my answer.
Most (many) critics of the union movement have little or no actual experience of how unions work and what they do, so should you be among those people, no answer I gave would have been acceptable to you.
Most posts I have seen of yours suggest that you have a closed and basically right wing view of the world. That is sad and precludes sensible and open discussion.
You are spot on right. I've never been part of a collective bargaining unit. Don't want to be. Don't really need to be but thanks to union men like my grandfather who made it possible for his sons and grandsons to go to college and become professionals I have a deep and abiding respect for the union movement.

What's truly hypocritical as hell about those on the right who oppose the union movement is their double standard. They truly believe that only the special few are allowed to charge what the market will bear for their services. What they advocate is not capitalism but an aristocracy of money.

I've been in IBEW as a communications worker. I've been in afl-cio Meat Packers Union.

It looks to me you're too much of a pussy to answer a simple question. :)

I've been in IBEW as a communications worker. I've been in afl-cio Meat Packers Union.

I would never have had you down as a meat packer, Annie. :D

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with unions before. I've absolutely no experience whatsoever with unions in the US and, for that reason, i'd refrain from commenting on them. However, i would say that in my, negligible, experience trade unions have been rather helpful to have around.

I'm not one to go into details about personal bidness but, suffice to say, my mother was given top notch legal representation during her employment dispute, thanks to the trade union she belonged to, who secured a rather generous severance package accordingly. The same union also helps to inform other workers of their legal rights, facilitate educational and vocational opportunities, and encourage their members to make financial plans for their futures. (as well as the historic achievements of putting an end to child labour, campaigning for gender equality in the workplace, ensuring workplace safety and attempting to ensure the individual can stand up to the all powerful corporation.)

I dare say some unions are corrupt hives of depravity, and provide exciting film scripts. However, in a global sense, most unions are genuinely nice things, that smell of pine forests and make their members feel almost human, in a world of corporate bastards.

Indeed. My #3 post. He then questioned my union affiliations, I answered and he disappeared. I mean, who would have thought?

No dear, I did not disappear, I went out for the evening, then I went to bed. I did not realise that I had to clear it with you beforehand. Please accept my apologies.

It looks to me you're too much of a pussy to answer a simple question. :)

It looks to me that you are the archetypal ugly american, still fighting on the losing side of a civil war that for most americans ended in 1865. Still you keep waving the flag, someone might notice you one day.

Indeed. My #3 post. He then questioned my union affiliations, I answered and he disappeared. I mean, who would have thought?

I think Charver, with his usual boyish charm, has adequately answered you. Good night.

I would never have had you down as a meat packer, Annie. :D

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with unions before. I've absolutely no experience whatsoever with unions in the US and, for that reason, i'd refrain from commenting on them. However, i would say that in my, negligible, experience trade unions have been rather helpful to have around.

I'm not one to go into details about personal bidness but, suffice to say, my mother was given top notch legal representation during her employment dispute, thanks to the trade union she belonged to, who secured a rather generous severance package accordingly. The same union also helps to inform other workers of their legal rights, facilitate educational and vocational opportunities, and encourage their members to make financial plans for their futures. (as well as the historic achievements of putting an end to child labour, campaigning for gender equality in the workplace, ensuring workplace safety and attempting to ensure the individual can stand up to the all powerful corporation.)

I dare say some unions are corrupt hives of depravity, and provide exciting film scripts. However, in a global sense, most unions are genuinely nice things, that smell of pine forests and make their members feel almost human, in a world of corporate bastards.

If you think that non-union worker's are treated better than union workers, you are at best a naive idiot libertarian, and at worst an evil conservative who just enjoys causing unnecessary suffering.

These traitors should be executed.

Back