Unions: why they suck

I would never have had you down as a meat packer, Annie. :D

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with unions before. I've absolutely no experience whatsoever with unions in the US and, for that reason, i'd refrain from commenting on them. However, i would say that in my, negligible, experience trade unions have been rather helpful to have around.

I'm not one to go into details about personal bidness but, suffice to say, my mother was given top notch legal representation during her employment dispute, thanks to the trade union she belonged to, who secured a rather generous severance package accordingly. The same union also helps to inform other workers of their legal rights, facilitate educational and vocational opportunities, and encourage their members to make financial plans for their futures. (as well as the historic achievements of putting an end to child labour, campaigning for gender equality in the workplace, ensuring workplace safety and attempting to ensure the individual can stand up to the all powerful corporation.)

I dare say some unions are corrupt hives of depravity, and provide exciting film scripts. However, in a global sense, most unions are genuinely nice things, that smell of pine forests and make their members feel almost human, in a world of corporate bastards.

And you won't find me saying different. My question to Lowaicue was to name the good unions that he was referring to. Instead he had to make it personal, so I answered. BTW, was in the 'meat packers' union while working part-time at a grocery. ;)

It looks to me that you are the archetypal ugly american, still fighting on the losing side of a civil war that for most americans ended in 1865. Still you keep waving the flag, someone might notice you one day.

Dude, the Republicans won the Civil War. Haven't you heard?

Note to Charver - Annie is a teacher who is forced to join the union. All her union does is funnel money into the pockets of politicians.

Back