US dollar is worth half of what it was in 2000

And the stock market is not double what it was in 2000. So the stock market real value has dropped ?
It is less in gains but not in real value and certainly not by half. Most people, if they were getting gains over 4% are ahead of the inflation curve.

This is the dollar index fund, not direct purchasing power of the dollar. The two are very different values.

It is less in gains but not in real value and certainly not by half. Most people, if they were getting gains over 4% are ahead of the inflation curve.

This is the dollar index fund, not direct purchasing power of the dollar. The two are very different values.

True Damo, but there is more corelation there than you want to admit ?

True Damo, but there is more corelation there than you want to admit ?
No, please read my post again.

My salary does not purchase half the car from before. It is silly to suggest that because the dollar's trade index is down that correlates, and it is preposterous to attempt to convince people who know that they can buy far more than just half of what they purchased before on the same salary. Of course, many of us also got raises during that period and are either ahead or are about equal to the inflation curve.

The reality is you have no idea what you are talking about so you sputter out a couple "questions" that attempt to lead people to an incorrect conclusion.

A large part of what we buy is imported, so if the dollar drops our purchasing costs go up.
Depending on where we purchase from. The reality is we bring stuff in from places that usually either tie their currency to the dollar and thus there is no real loss, or have currencies that either lose or have no gain.

Again, the reality is, using the same amount of money at the grocery store, nobody is only getting half of what they used to. Hence reality does not fit into your leading question very well at all. While people will get less (largely due to gasoline hikes) they are not getting half and certainly not less than half of what they could purchase before.

The two do not correlate in the fashion you attempt to imply.

And to top it off we are not even making the tourist dollars we would have because people refuse to fly our airlines because they are so restrictive and un customer oriented.

And to top it off we are not even making the tourist dollars we would have because people refuse to fly our airlines because they are so restrictive and un customer oriented.
That and they don't feel as protected with the PATRIOT act in effect. But that is all really beside the point. CO didn't gain much in foreign tourism dollars, nor has the purchase power of the dollar dropped as significantly. The two numbers are not in direct correlation.

Depending on where we purchase from. The reality is we bring stuff in from places that usually either tie their currency to the dollar and thus there is no real loss, or have currencies that either lose or have no gain.

Again, the reality is, using the same amount of money at the grocery store, nobody is only getting half of what they used to. Hence reality does not fit into your leading question very well at all. While people will get less (largely due to gasoline hikes) they are not getting half and certainly not less than half of what they could purchase before.

The two do not correlate in the fashion you attempt to imply.

I seem to be getting about at least 1/3 less at the grocery than I did a few years ago. Milk is about double what it was in 2000, if not more. Bread is about double. Check your food inflation figures Damo.

But what the heck the grocery store parking lot was full Saturday so we are doing great :clink:

I seem to be getting about at least 1/3 less at the grocery than I did a few years ago. Milk is about double what it was in 2000, if not more. Bread is about double. Check your food inflation figures Damo.

But what the heck the grocery store parking lot was full Saturday so we are doing great :clink:
You are wrong. Milk is not "double" and you are either a poor shopper or lying directly. We spend about $15 more per week to get exactly what we used to. While one or two things may rise in cost (again mostly because of fuel costs, but with milk the rise is because we are using their food, the cows food, to fuel cars and subsidizing it).

You are either being directly disingenuous or your helper who shops for you is a thief.

Airlines will seeon be weighing passengers and charging by the pound.
Good cheap fuel.

It's about time you realised this "Dollar" experiment was doomed from the outset and are now returning to good old fashioned Sterling.

Well played American airlines.

Hey I do my own food shopping. Must be that communist Colorado subsidizing food.
Or you only buy stuff that has direct cost increase from fuel subsidies. Like beef and milk.

Sometimes being a vegetarian is beneficial in more ways than just lowering my cholesterol and Karma hits.

I buy very little meat. I have my own meat.

Heck Wally world was selling Cucumbers by the yard a week or so ago. Thant was funny someone had put a YD sign there instead of an each sign.

Surging costs of groceries hit home
Bread, eggs, milk prices up sharply
By Robert Gavin
Globe Staff / March 9, 2008

American families, already pinched by soaring energy costs, are taking another big hit to household budgets as food prices increase at the fastest rate since 1990.

After nearly two decades of low food inflation, prices for staples such as bread, milk, eggs, and flour are rising sharply, surging in the past year at double-digit rates, according to the Labor Department. Milk prices, for example, increased 26 percent over the year. Egg prices jumped 40 percent.

Escalating food costs could present a greater problem than soaring oil prices for the national economy because the average household spends three times as much for food as for gasoline. Food accounts for about 13 percent of household spending compared with about 4 percent for gas.

Rising food prices can be particularly corrosive to consumer confidence because people are so frequently exposed to the cost increases. "It's the biggest risk we face economically, and it might be the thing that does us in," said Rich Yamarone, director of economic research at Argus Research Corp. in New York. "There's nothing really worse than having a job, making money, and forking most of it over just so you can have the same amount of food. You're running in place, and it really weighs on you."

As with energy, higher food costs cut into discretionary income that buys everything from cars to computers to movie tickets and drives the consumer-based US economy. Falling home values and a faltering stock market have battered consumer confidence, spurring a retrenchment in spending that is contributing to recent job losses and pulling the economy toward recession.

Many analysts expect consumers to keep paying more for food. Wholesale food prices, an indicator of where supermarket prices are headed, rose last month at the fastest rate since 2003, with egg prices jumping 60 percent from a year ago, pasta products 30 percent, and fruits and vegetables 20 percent, according to the Labor Department.

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2008/03/09/surging_costs_of_groceries_hit_home/

Again, you repeat those things that I have already stated.

Even this story does not suggest that all of the groceries have increased that way. Although they run a string by you hoping you won't notice that they list only a few.

The very real thing that I have stated before is, we get the same thing we did 7-8 years ago with only $15-25 more than what we spent before. It has certainly not "doubled", and what you surmised from this was based on a false understanding.

No matter how many times you tell me milk went up (from "double" in one post to 26% in this last one) it doesn't change that your original assertion was ridiculous and based on ignorance.

Back